"No Controller Data" on OMNI II to OPII upgrade

ricks

I spent the day swapping out my OMNI II for a new OPII. Very straightforward procedure. On initial power-up I only had the console connected and it repeatedly beeped as expected. At the console I am getting "no controller data". I can "4/up arrow" to ensure the console is set as console 1 and the other 3 settings are OK. No other buttons work.

I rechecked my wiring and the console is connected as described (same way as OMNI II). I pulled the console and toned out the 4 wires. No issues there.

I can connect to the panel via serial but not IP since the console is required for that set up.

So I figure that either my console went bad during the change (seems highly unlikely), I have a bad panel or something else needs to be done prior to power-up.

Would appreciate any comments and suggestions or ideas for further testing. My next step is to reinstall the OMNI II and see if it will communicate with the console.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

EDIT:

I ran the console self-test and it appears that the console failed during the swap-over. After connecting the console to a 9 volt battery and running the test the console would only display a full screen of question marks. For whatever reason, disconnecting the console from the OMNI II and reattaching to the OPII seems to have killed my console. Go figure.

After up take it out of console setup (4/up), you're saying nothing works?

If it's operating then it is getting power.
Are you absolutely sure you didn't swap legs of the comms bus?
At the controller it is red, black, yellow, green.
At the console it is black, red, green, yellow.

Do you have another console to test?

Yes, after console setup, it goes back to "no controller data".
Unfortunately, I'm sure the wiring is correct. No spare console.

This is probably the first time that power has been disconnected from the console in maybe 4-5 years. I've gotten used to never having an HAI part fail so I figured the new panel was at fault. But it appears the console self-test failed so I'm guessing there lies the problem. I'll check with HAI for a repair cost but I'm guessing it will probably be as much as a new unit. Funny thing is that we never use the console since we use iPhones/iPads to control the system. Now that I need it for setting up the network it doesn't work.

Thanks,
Rick

I used a console to test after swapping my OPII board out. Since you only have one you can maybe just disconnect it from where it's at and connect it directly to the console to see if it works there. I never had any issues with the old panel. The swap was non eventful except for one of the last parts of connecting the PS. I did it with no light and shorted out the new OPII. HAI was very good about replacing/repairing it under warranty.

You're a brave man Pete, working with power in the dark. I tried connecting the console directly to the panel last night. Same result. I've sent an email to HAI yesterday to see if its worth servicing but don't expect to hear back until next week. Probably will order a new one today. I'll rent attack dogs until I get a new console. Since HAI controls my HVAC and lighting as well we can use the dogs for warmth should the temps fall. :)

Thanks,
Rick

It was the black and red wire over one tab or so that did it. I updated from the plug in ROM to the flash changable OPII. Never had an issue with the OPII though for about 10 years. For the OPII it might be more reasonable to service it than to purchase a new one.

Yeah; I'm guessing snow before the end of the month here in the midwest. My OPII is connected to the HVAC; but its the wife that contols it; so automation is not really done to much either with the thermostat or the OPII.

BTW I have one Omnitouch which cannot be serviced that displays the same; "no controller data"; that specifically is a problem with the Omnitouch and not the OPII. So I wonder if your console is bad?

Interesting point. I'll check with HAI to see if maybe my console is no longer compatible with the latest OPII.

Rick

The only issue to date (10 years) with the keybutton consoles have been the backlight LED lights going dim. One of two in FL. I wonder though if the com configuration (circuits) is similiar though to the com configuration in the Omnitouch screens.

You might want to purchase another console to test - you can probably get one used on Ebay; might be easier than removing the entire HAI OPII board.

Having the exact same issue right now. Omni ProII works correctly except consoles show no controller data. Did this have an outcome? Same exact wiring as OmnoII which still works successfully with consols.

Could it be a firmware verson mismatch between the two controllers and the keypads?

Thanks

Could it be a firmware verson mismatch between the two controllers and the keypads?

Personally here I have never seen that between the various HAI OPII firmware upgrades and the Keypads.  I have only seen that swapping the two communications wires (red, black, yellow, green). 

The aforementioned 3.5" Omnitouch just went dead where the OS firmware was fine and it booted fine but never did get comm back to the controller.  I did replace the little insect like SMD's on one of the two boards in it; but it never did work.

The only issue I have had with the Keypads were the loss of the blue LEDs behind the keys.  The keypad was new (months old) and HAI replaced it under warranty.

Well; one other issue relating to comm was actually related to the network port and the amount of traffic hitting it and concurrent did something to the OS where as I would see comm errors with the Omnistat and the time would go off; way off; hours per day.

Just a guess; but see what happens when you keep the NIC port disconnected; reboot the panel and look at your keypads.  Not sure that will do anything.  If it works then its related to the amount of traffic hitting the NIC (very promiscuous HAI NIC) - note this is a guesstimate. 

Here I keep a hot spare keypad around to test if needed.  I also keep an Omnitouch in vivo connected near the panel to test.

I've seen the older keypads which did look different; but never tested one on the OPII that I have.

If you see "no controller data" on the keypad; its getting power and not talking to the OPII.  I would purchase another keypad and call up HAI Tech and see if you can return it under warranty or repair it?

thank you very much for the quick reply. I think I will check all three keypads to see if they work independently, tied to the controller. I also believe that I should buy a fourth Keypad to swap in and out to verify. I'll also get in touch with tech support. Thank you.

Strange that the exact same wiring setup didnt work.

I think I will check all three keypads to see if they work independently, tied to the controller
Yup; I would personally check one at a time. 

For all of them to have a comm error is strange unless there is a problem with switched wires on one or the controller is causing the problem.

The fourth new one will vallidate.

I would also test each keypad by itself with wires directly connected to HAI panel; not utilizing the wires going to the keypad locations.

1 - Disconnect all of the keypads to the panel
2 - make up a short 2 foot cable and use that for your test cable.
3 - hook each keypad one at a time to the short cable you made up
4 - If the keypads work then its a cabling issue
5 - if it is; then test one set of keyboad cables at a time.
6-  use a VOM and test each wire end to end for the keypads
7 - after validation connect one working keypad at a time

The HAI Panel is pretty resilient.  I'm guessing you will not have an issue testing and you will find all of your keypads to be just fine.

Update: I tested each keypad individually (Direct connect) and two out of the three show 'No Data'. one works fine. Strange that all three work fine with the Omnill so all wiring can be elliminated.

3 work with Omni ll
1 works with OmniPro ll

this points to a versioning issue from my standpoint.

What model keypads are they?  What do they look like? 

I don't really know if there is any information relating to upgrading firmware on the HAI Omnipro keypads.

I sort of bricked; saw the com failure on my bad Omnitouch device when I was upgrading from keypads to the serially connected Omnitouch screens. 

Thinking I put power on one of the comm legs; don't remember anymore its been a while.

It appeared to boot up fine except it never connected to the panel and showed a com error.

Note though this was an OmniPro Omnitouch device and not a keypad.

Strange... after having a Omni Pro powered down overnight the new keypad that worked last night did not work today Until I unhooked the sirens and re connected to power. I also did a 9 volt keypad self test and all three past. I'm stumped. Full connection to PC access software is OK.

I wonder if the driver output on the OmniPro is weak...

Lunch then back at it.

Back