Email not working, tried 5 different pop 3 accounts/ports... what gives?

elias1693

Windows 7 64bit
Elk M1 Gold
M1G Hardware version .13, Boot Version 3.3.6, Firmware Ver 5.2.8
M1KP Hardware version 010, Boot Version 3.0.14, Firmware Ver 2.1.48
M1XRF2H Hardware version 4.1, Boot Version 1.0.0, Firmware Ver 0.9.8
M1XEP Hardware version 1.0, Boot Version 1.2.0, Firmware Ver 1.3.28

I have DYNDNS successfully setup on several camers within my home so I know my DYNDNS service is working properly.

I have a Network DVR 8 channel Zmodo CCTV camera system I can access through my iPhone

I have a Trendnet IP422W wireless IP camera setup that I can also access through my iPhone

I've configured hundreds if not thousands of Outlook, Thunderbird, Entourage, & Mail email accounts over the past 10 years and cant get this thing working ....arrrrgghhh

I've updated to all the most recent firmware versions as of 10:00pm last night.

Every email account I've used gets gets the Connection Terminated box Control has disconnected.

Hotmail = smtp.live.com(65.55.172.254) port 587 disconnected
Yahoo ATT = smtp.att.yahoo.com(67.195.15.66) port 465 disconnected
Personal Paid Hosted Account through 2MHOST.com(208.67.216.145) on port 25 disconnected
Gmail = smtp.gmail.com on port 465 disconnected
Gmail = smtp.gmail.com(74.125.127.108) on port 587 TLS/STARTTLS: 587

Somebody please shoot me!!!

Do some searching on the forum, for this issue. Its well documented. Bottom line is mine quit working awhile back, and I finally just used Premise to do all my emailing, etc. works much better, and has been rock solid for almost 2 years now.

Take a look at the thread I started a couple days ago. I figured out my problem.

Your port 25 hosted account should be the one you try to use. Make sure your isp doesn't block port 25. Send a test email from outlook or something to make sure it gets out. Those other email services I am pretty sure all require ssl and the xep doesn't do ssl. If port 25 is blocked, your hosted account probably will accept 587 just the same as port 25. Test it out in outlook first just to make sure. If not give them a call and see what non-ssl port you can use.

Check to make sure xep is actually saving the info you send to it. After sending to the xep and letting it reboot, reconnect and click "receive" and see if it is all still there as you entered it. After you connect to the xep, what you see is not necessarily what is saved in the xep's memory. I only learned that after I clicked "receive" as a last ditch effort lets try pushing every button to see what happens effort. As it turns out, I had to update to the latest version of Elkrp since for some reason the roughly 12 month old version I was using had a bug and nothing saved.

The M1XEP requires an email service that does not use encryption. The operating system in the M1XEP does not support sign on encryption.

For a little extra security I run stunnel on a PC which SSL encrypts my traffic, then point the M1XEP at that. Otherwise your username/password are sent in the clear. It is unfortunate that the M1XEP doesn't support SSL. I realize that encryption support requires extensive memory and CPU, but sending passwords in the clear is not really acceptable these days, and it being a security product... :unsure:

If Elk decides to put out an updated M1XEP with encryption support, I for one would definitely buy it....

Better yet, aren't we all still waiting for a new Elk flagship product that has ethernet built in - with dynamic rules and reliable email? I'd upgrade my panel in a heartbeat if there were a newer version!

Spanky - care to leak any of your subtle teaser hints?

elias,

I share your pain, I initially had similar issues trying to setup the XEP E-mail, and weeks of frustration

I read on this forum that the unencrytped GMX.com E-mail worked for many, but this E-mail server wouldn't work for me. I eventually stumbled upon an unencrypted E-mail form lavabit.com, which worked for me, finally. The link below connects to a thread within this forum shows some of the steps I used.

I was never able to(and still can't) send an E-mail from within the XEP setup pop up window. Someone told me to try setting up a rule within the M1 to send an E-mail every few minutes or so, but do not keep connected to the M1 via the RP2 software via your computer when you try to test it.

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18267&hl=&fromsearch=1

Hope this helps..

Frank

Thanks I'll try the GMX account. It seems the Lavabit has stopped accepting new users:( Wish there was an Elk Forum page with approved SMTP settings and or approved or known good email providers.

Wow thanks for your help FRED. That worked perfectly. I wasnt able get GMX working but my paid subscription through 2MHOST.com worked after I successfully Telnet into it and send email. I also had to make sure the email address I was sending it to was not the one I was sending it from. Whenever those two email addresses were the same it would kick me out for some reason and just disconnect. After I changed it to a gmail address it worked fine. Phew that was way more harder than it should have been! I'm just glad its working now.

Just FYI for anyone else trying it. Please note that not all SMTP telnet commands are the same. It seems some carriers use different commands. If you've never done this before watch a couple of videos before you try it and if you get an error command not recognized or similar output try another command type. The videos I watched are below.

EXCELLENT TUTORIAL:
http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18267&hl=&fromsearch=1

Sample Videos of Telnet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fd3oT6vtjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3h8wnkNGFo&feature=related

Wow thanks for your help FRED. That worked perfectly. I wasnt able get GMX working but my paid subscription through 2MHOST.com worked after I successfully Telnet into it and send email. I also had to make sure the email address I was sending it to was not the one I was sending it from. Whenever those two email addresses were the same it would kick me out for some reason and just disconnect. After I changed it to a gmail address it worked fine. Phew that was way more harder than it should have been! I'm just glad its working now.

Just FYI for anyone else trying it. Please note that not all SMTP telnet commands are the same. It seems some carriers use different commands. If you've never done this before watch a couple of videos before you try it and if you get an error command not recognized or similar output try another command type. The videos I watched are below.

EXCELLENT TUTORIAL:
http://www.cocoontec...l=&fromsearch=1
SMTP is a standard, and should be the same everywhere. Which commands have you found to be different?

Back