Photo
- - - - -

help me understand automation with receptacles please!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jaydubb1

jaydubb1

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • Audio:Nuvo
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:analog, ip

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:16 AM

I'm going with an HAI system, probably going to run homeseer over it shortly.

I am under the impression that I can use this type of receptacle: http://www.automated...Home/INT-CA3500

And have HAI control it.

What are the necessary components to making this work?

#2 jaydubb1

jaydubb1

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

Slightly off topic, I also want to have full control over my lighting switches... will (something like) this work for me? (I'm confused on if it's necessary to integrate ZWave/Zigbee/X10/etc into my HAI system, or if there's an alternative hardware system that works with HAI without extra ZWave/Zigbee/X10/etc. Hopefully there is a simple way to do this, so I can understand it easily and move forward! )

Edited by jaydubb1, 15 December 2011 - 12:25 AM.

#3 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4045 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Elve, Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:27 AM

Jay,

I doubled up on the PIM's with almost a duplicate of PIM's on the HAI Panel and Homeseer. (over kill). Once configured; you never really notice what it is you have controlling your lighting / HV outlets.

Back a while ago; I read on the Homeseer board that I couldn't have it so that the Leviton PIM was the primary Z-Wave controller and the HS Z-Troller would be the secondary controller. I am not sure today if that has changed. So here I am entertaining doing separate Z-Wave networks to just play with the Z-Troller.

It would be nice to get a "do all" controller to work with the HAI PIM though. I'm actually looking to add Zigbee to the HAI stuff ; current with X10, Z-Wave and UPB on it. I can though control the HAI panel units via HS (slower than a direct connect).

I do have numerous external Z-Wave lighting modules and appliance modules being controlled today by the HAI Panel. That involves just a Leviton PIM and RF Leviton programmer for the PIM. I can control those modules with Homeseer; blindly a bit with no real granular look at the Z-Wave network like the HS Z-Troller offers. I have converted on one double HV outlet from X10 to UPB at this time and still have a bunch of legacy X-10 outlets. I do have some issues though that I am still working thru. I have currently set up 4 commercial landscaping toroidal transformers on powerline and Z-Wave switches and have had issues with these no matter what device I have tried (Insteon, X10, UPB and Z-Wave). Best over the last 8 years or so has been the oldest/simplest legacy X10 outlets. I have gone a big sparse now with the ones on the main floor/2nd floor of the house. I have many of the outlets in the house split to either a wall switch (automated) or always on power. That said I have had to kind of create a set of rules as to what to plug in to what in the house outlets; major headache in the last 20 years or so.

#4 jaydubb1

jaydubb1

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

I'm still confused.

Does an HAI OP2 control z-wave devices?

#5 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4045 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:01 AM

Yes.

I have my HAI OPII controlling my Z-Wave network today. I've attached views of X10, UPB and Z-Wave via PCA.

I guess from a "lighting" prospective; I just care that the light goes on or off or dims or runs via an event (whether on HS or HAI). I do occassionally look at the UPB diagnostics; but these days I do not as the UPB network is fine.

Its only external appliance and lighting modules connected to it. The HAI OPII panel has one Leviton Z-Wave PIM connected to it. On the "view" via HAI PCA its only another "unit" to control looking similiar to the X10 and UPB "units" today for me. I have no other views unless I use the Leviton remote control for Z-Wave.

I've attached one file; but have links to HAI for a better explaination and a clip and paste from the HAI site.

http://kb.homeauto.c...asp?id=442&SID=

[attachment=4140:HA01140802BH - Vizia RF Systems Guide1.pdf

Enrolling Leviton Products Into a Z-Wave Network

The purpose of this document is to provide general steps for enrolling Leviton Vizia products into a network for your knowledge. If you are experiencing problems with Leviton devices or the master controller, you should contact Leviton (or other product manufacturer) for additional assistance at:
http://www.leviton.c...&minisite=10025
Enrolling (Including) the Leviton Vizia Switches on the Z-Wave Network:

• From the “Install Checklist”. Highlight the “1.Include Dim/Switch” and press the center button. “Press button on Dimmer/Switch” will be displayed.
  • Press a button on the switch that will be learned into the Z-Wave network.
  • Once learned in, the controller will display the “Node ID” of the switch, take note of this ID you will need it for use later. NOTE: If at any time you lose/forget a node ID of a switch you may use the “Who Am I” command in the controller to gather that switches information.
  • Press the center button to advance through the text editor and then to save the switches information.
Enrolling (Including) the Leviton 4 button scene controller on the Z-Wave Network:
  • From the “Install Checklist”, highlight the “2.Include Controller” and press the center button. “Place controller in programming mode. See Instruction sheet” will be displayed.
  • Press and hold buttons 1 & 3 on the 4 button scene controller until all the buttons are amber.
  • Press the center button on the controller to begin the enrolling process.

If the Primary Controller is able to communicate with the 4 button scene controller, “UPDATING” will appear on the display.
    If the Primary Controller in unable to communicate with the 4 button scene controller, after several seconds, “Node could not be included! Check device inclusion instructions” will be displayed.
  • Once learned in the controller will display the “Node ID” of the 4 button scene controller, take note of this ID you will need it for use later. NOTE: If at any time you lose/forget a node ID of a switch, you may use the “Who Am I” command in the controller to gather that switches information.
  • Press the center button to advance through the text editor and then to save the 4 button scene controller information.
Enrolling (Including) the Leviton Vizia RF to RS232 serial bridge on the Z-Wave Network:
  • From the “Install Checklist”, highlight the “2.Include Controller” and press the center button. “Place controller in programming mode. See Instruction sheet” will be displayed.
  • Press and hold the button on the Leviton Vizia RF to RS232 serial bridge until it blinks amber.
  • Press the center button to begin the enrolling process.

If the Primary Controller is able to communicate with the Leviton Vizia RF to RS232 serial bridge, “UPDATING” will appear on the display.
    If the Primary Controller in unable to communicate with the thermostat, after several seconds, “Node could not be included! Check device inclusion instructions” will be displayed.
  • Press “Back” when complete.
Associating Z-Wave switches/scene controllers:

Associating each Z-Wave switch/scene controller with the Leviton Vizia RF to RS232 serial bridge is necessary for two-way communications with the HAI controller.
  • From the “Advanced” menu item, Highlight the “3.HAI Setup” and press the center button.
  • Highlight the node ID of the device to be associated and press the center button.
  • Put a check next to the Leviton Vizia RF to RS232 serial bridge by highlighting the device then pressing the “-“ key. Then press the center key to continue.
  • Repeat steps 2 and 3 until all the associations are complete.
  • Once all the associations have been completed, press the back button to finish the process.
HAI Setup:
  • Navigate to Setup>>Installer>>Control.
  • Click the Vizia RF Z-Wave Node IDs tab.
  • For Unit 1 Node ID (RM1), enter the Node ID of the 4 button scene controller.
  • For Unit 2-8 Node IDs, enter the Node IDs of the switches which are in the same “Room” as the scene controller.
  • Press OK when finished.
  • Navigate to the Setup>>Miscellaneous menu. On the Control tab, set the appropriate house codes to Vizia RF Z-Wave. For this example House Code 1 should be set to Vizia RF Z-Wave. Press OK when Finished.
  • Navigate to Setup>>Programs.
  • Select a blank line and then click Edit.
  • Click the When button, then select Vizia RF Z-Wave>>Button.
  • Highlight the correct scene controller then select “Button 1 ON”. NOTE: This is just a brief guide, for other buttons/conditions you may select whichever condition you wish. Press Ok when finished.
  • Click on the Command button, then select Control.
  • Highlight the correct scene controller then select scene. From the drop down box, select the correct scene, and then press OK.
Continue steps 7-11 until all buttons on all scene controllers have been programmed.

Attached Files

#6 jaydubb1

jaydubb1

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

Thanks Pete, I'm getting closer! 2 questions here.

1. Is this correct?

"With my HAI OPII panel, I can control one of these or one of these with no additional hardware or additional software."

2. What is a "Leviton Z-Wave PIM", or rather - what is a "PIM"?

#7 Frunple

Frunple

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

I'm going with an HAI system, probably going to run homeseer over it shortly.

I am under the impression that I can use this type of receptacle: http://www.automated...Home/INT-CA3500

And have HAI control it.

What are the necessary components to making this work?

You need a Leviton RZC0P. This will interface with an Omni's serial port. It will control all Zwave devices including the locks if you get the new RZC0P but you may still need a Vera, not sure??
I believe all Omni Pro's come with a UPB PIM so you can use UPB for all your switches, or you can use zwave.

#8 jaydubb1

jaydubb1

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

You need a Leviton RZC0P. This will interface with an Omni's serial port. It will control all Zwave devices including the locks if you get the new RZC0P but you may still need a Vera, not sure??
I believe all Omni Pro's come with a UPB PIM so you can use UPB for all your switches, or you can use zwave.

So this item starts allows HAI to speak to the z-wave network, and it is the base for the rest of the z-wave products. Most z-wave items, such as light switches and receptacles, act as repeaters for the z-wave network.

Is that correct?

#9 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4045 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

For the HAI panel you need one of these:

Doing a quick search on the Leviton site; its all marked "legacy". I set my Z-Wave stuff with the HAI OPII a while ago and really just kept it to lighting external modules and appliance switches; nothing else at this time.

The HAI PIM (Leviton) (not sure if this is the right syntax - I think its referred to as a PIM - programmable interface module?)

http://www.leviton.c...2&section=15188

and I use one of these to program the HAI PIM.

http://www.leviton.c...&minisite=10026

Think my original purchase of the Omni Pro II 10 years or so ago included an X10 PIM. The last one I purchased was an "a la carte" purchase of just the newest OPII board which I have installed in the midwest. I put the first HAI OPII panel I had from 10 years ago in Florida.

#10 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4045 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

Jay,

Yes you need a serial to Z-Wave controller to control Z-Wave with the HAI OPII panel. And you need a mechanism / device to program the Leviton Z-Wave serial controller. I've only utilized the Leviton RF+ and just became familiar with this methodology. Works for me.

I know that my Z-Wave devices all function just fine from the OPII panel and today they primarily controlled by the HAI OPII panel; secondarily controlled by the HS to HAI plugin. I do not have granular eyes into the diagnostics of the Z-Wave network. It works just fine for me.

#11 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4045 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

Last year for Christmas added something like 10-15 Z-Wave devices to the existing Z-Wave network just to control the holiday lighting. It worked fine for me.

This year I spent more time on the lighting and less time on the control; going back to X-10 outdoor devices instead programming them all for one code; plug n play and maybe 5 minutes of work (versus almost an hour's worth of work to program the Z-Wave devices). It would have been the same concern with say programming UPB outdoor modules (I don't know personally if they exists today).

Looking at my security videos the holiday lights all go on at the same time. I do have candles in all of the windows and last year turned on all of the external lighting with external Z-Wave modules and did a gradual from dim to bright on all of the candles in the windows which looked nice. I did skip that step this year though with the X-10 internal lighting modules. Years ago though did have a candle in every window in the house (which was a bit of work); today its just the front facing of the house windows.

I've added something like 8 outdoor rated outlets (to the original 4 or so) since I've moved into the house. (kind of a pain cuz they are all into the brick). I wouldn't really utilize any sort of powerline or automation on these outlets. IE: I had a landscaper cut flat stone for the landscaping around the house. It took them over a week to do the circumference and all of the berms. It was very time consuming. The flat stones are 3-4 layers up to 8 layers high and 3-4 inches thick. I don't even remember how many pallets of stone it was; just that it was in my driveway for over a week. He would have surely burned out any automation switches in the outlets with the tools he was using.

In the home previous to this one I added outdoor outlets with internal wall switches on the second floor eaves and used automated switches for these. They were only though for holiday lighting.

#12 PaulB

PaulB

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Tech:X10-PLC, Z-Wave

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:09 PM

In order to use z-wave with HAI OmniPro you will need a Leviton VRC0P-1LW +3. This is the current Leviton Vizia RF + 3 Serial Interface Module. This is the only Leviton model that supports zwave locks. The older VRC0P + and RZCOP do not support locks. Also, note that HAI does not yet support zwave locks natively.

You will also need a Leviton VRUSB-1US USB stick to configure the zwave network. The Leviton sofware is available for free "Vizia RF + Installer Tool" on there web site but you have to buy the USB stick.

Edited by PaulB, 15 December 2011 - 01:06 PM.

#13 jaydubb1

jaydubb1

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

Is this that item? I don't see the "+3" specification.

#14 PaulB

PaulB

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Tech:X10-PLC, Z-Wave

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

Is this that item? I don't see the "+3" specification.

The part number is VRC0P-1LW and not VRCOP-1LW (my mistake). You can also get it at ASIHOME .

Unfortunately, Leviton did not change the part number when they upgraded from VRC0P-1LW Vizia RF + to the VRC0P-1LW Vizia RF+3. The only place you will see the 3 is on the back on the unit. You really do want the new version and not the old versions of this device. The new version is firmware upgradeable and supports zwave locks. If you decide to buy one you will have to ask the vendor to be sure it is a 3 device. I believe ASIHOME has the new version.

#15 kurtisdigital

kurtisdigital

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hi Everyone - I have the Vizia RF hooked up and working with my HAI Pannel (next to my 80 some UPB devies) -- one thing I am having trouble with is 2 way status tracking. I used the USB stick radio to program the network and I did complete the RS232 to device associassions. I have each device then associated with the RS232 controller to the point that they show up as "reverse associations" not sure what I am doing wrong - the devices WORK with the HAI pannel to give me control of them - but I have no status tracking. Any ideas?

Edited by kurtisdigital, 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users