Haiku Haiku and Haiku Helper support

Steve

So the HAI and iPad thread that started out as a generic topic in this dedicated HAI subforum quickly turned into a thread about Haiku and its new Helper. Seems like that 31 page thread turned predominantly Haiku around the second page. If in fact there is non-Haiku related info in there it will be very difficult to find. Heck, almost anything in a 30+ page thread is hard to find. There is alot of info in there related to Haiku specifically and at the rate Haiku seems to be improving and growing its impossible to keep up in that thread. We could start individual threads like this one but that may not be best as it may clutter this forum that HAI is monitoring specifically for their products.

eKeypad (similar to Haiku for Elk) has a separate subforum and I think electron would be open to creating a similar subforum specifically for Haiku and Helper and it seems from the traffic that may be a good idea. Null River has their own website and some FAQ's but there is no forum and I think it's best to have all these questions and answers available to all instead of in a private contact form. Having multiple threads for separate topics within Haiku (even if just a handful) would help alot in the organization and searching of Haiku related info.

So what do y'all think about a separate Haiku subforum - would you find that useful?

Lupinglade- how would you feel about supporting a separate forum here? Your responses have been very timely and appreciated and it may be easier for you to help here as well if better organized?

I guess this post is a bit meaningless now that it is actually done already. Anyway thanks Electron for setting it up and lupinglade for all your efforts and continued support in your own forum!

As I expect now to see alot of separate threads with individual questions, problems, etc. I might suggest a few additional tweaks?

1. Make Haiku Helper a subforum as it's really a different product - while related will keep Helper stuff independent from Viewer
2. Maybe some stickies or additional subforums?

Haiku Suggestions
Haiku Releases and Release Notes
Haiku Helper Suggestions
Haiku Helper Releases and Release Notes
Haiku Helper Programming subforum? (Dedicated to Javascript help and examples)

I'm thinking that may keep some of the important and active material well organized and accesible. I know each release has change notes for that release in the store but I think it may be helpful to see the running history of releases and what was added/fixed/changed in each release? These could be simple sticky posts in the appropriate forum. Maybe suggestions should be a subforum so people could start a topic for a particular enhancement and it can be discussed and found easily. One example would be the suggestion to change the way Aux zones worked. I know there were a few posts discussing it and then it changed and then someone had no idea about it. If there were separate discussion threads for enhancements maybe it would be alot easier for people to see and be involved?

Anyway, these are awesome steps in the evolution of Haiku - thanks again for the support electron and lupinglade!

Alright I have a question about a reply in the "big thread" about haiku helper - I hope this is the right place to post it?

I asked about emailing a flag value from haiku helper. lupinglade suggested the following:

function onRefreshConfig(forced) {
controller.refreshUnits();
}

function onSyncStart(forced) {
var now = new Date();
if(now.getHours() == 15 && now.getMinutes() == 47) {
var msg = 'My flag status: ' + controller.unitWithName('My Flag').flagDescription;
helper.mail(controller, '[email protected]', 'My Flag', msg);
}
}

I tried this with the proper settings and I get an email saying:

My flag status: undefined

I want the value not the Description so I think I Have the wrong parameter in the above example. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Neil

Neil: I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question and it is always right to post about a question. The idea about having a dedicated forum is that questions like this should be in their own threads that are easy to see and easy to follow. So ideally this would be a separate thread with a title describing the issue. Even more ideally I think Haiku Helper or at least Javascript programming for it should be an entirely different subforum as its a very powerful and specialized component of HH.

The answer to that question was flagDescription needs brackets after it like so: flagDescription(). Just for anyone else that sees this. Actually I had typed this sample code and made the error, that's what happens when you don't test run it first I guess :(

Back