56 replies to this topic

#1 Linwood

Linwood

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

(I have no relationship with the author, but was in the middle of a trail when the change occurred and noticed).

The myKeypad application, which if I recall was something like $15 for lite and $99 for pro, is now free and $34.99 in the Android marketplace. The new release says little, just "bug fixes and price drop".

I have been running a trial of the pro, and it is fairly complete. It has three pieces of flakiness that irritate me, one is the log file downloads lots of garbage (new logs dated in the year 2032), and the other that loss of communication is not flagged really, things just stop working right. The final is that it is tough to know when you are "done" -- it stays connected in background, chewing battery and giving violation alerts. You have to be very careful in how you exit to make it be "done and stopped".

But I was about to buy it for $99, as it does seem to be getting at least some activity and support vs. elkDroid, and at $35 it is a no-brainer for me. I'm using it on a Galaxy II with 2.6.35 (NoNamed ROM), and have tried it both over the cellular as well as wifi, and through NAT and locally connected to Wifi. All worked.

And it is VERY handy to walk around with it showing zone status when you are testing, doing work on contacts, etc. Saves a lot of walking back to the PC and ElkRP.

PS. Disconnect from ElkRP before using, they do conflict and cause more flakiness.

PPS. On rereading this I make it sound worse than it is -- that is not the intention. The majority of it seems to work quite well, I just wish the developer was a bit more active. So am posting partly as drumming up more interest here might get more interest there.

Edited by Linwood, 01 February 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#2 SIMKO

SIMKO

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:UPB

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

I know you said Android, but i figured if it was lowered there, then it would be lowered at the Apple Store.. No such luck, still $99 :(

#3 Linwood

Linwood

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Aren't they two completely separate programs from different authors?

#4 SIMKO

SIMKO

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:UPB

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Nevermind, you're right.. I saw myKeypad and thought it was eKeypad.

#5 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • CCTV:analog, dvr

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:20 PM

I wasn't aware of the program. I downloaded the free version and it looks pretty good. It has very nice built in tutorials which made setup a breeze that was successful on try number 1. The free version pretty much has full control of the "alarm" part of the system but elliminates all the automation stuff.

I put this on "auto connect" mode which keeps the phone connected to the system. Anyone useing this feature? I fear it may kill battery life.

Edited by Lou Apo, 01 February 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#6 pmb1010

pmb1010

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

I've tried everything I can try to get this MyKeypad installed on the only android device I have here... a Kindke Fire.
(its not rooted and I'd rather not...)
But no go. Just wont let me get past "no phone number". Common problem I guess with Android tablets and Android store.

#7 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

I've tried everything I can try to get this MyKeypad installed on the only android device I have here... a Kindke Fire.
(its not rooted and I'd rather not...)
But no go. Just wont let me get past "no phone number". Common problem I guess with Android tablets and Android store.

You mean you can't download/install it? It's on the official android marketplace. Not sure if your issue is trying to download it from the non-official marketplace.

I installed it on both my wifes and my evo 4g. I am very pleased with how well it works. I haven't decided yet if I want the full version. Now that ISY controls most all Elk functions, I would like to wait and see what the ISY based apps do as far as including the Elk functions.

#8 pmb1010

pmb1010

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:41 AM

>> You mean you can't download/install it?

Kindle fire is unique device. It has its own marketplace, but the android market is available... so I can see the app, but when I click to install it says "no phone associated with account"

>> I installed it on both my wifes and my evo 4g.

Yeah cuz these are phones, with a number tied to google marketplace. My Fire has no phone hardware.

>> I am very pleased with how well it works.

I'll keep at it, if I find a way I'll post it here

#9 BraveSirRobbin

BraveSirRobbin

Cocoonut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6903 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Main Lobby
  • Hardware:CaddX, Elk M1, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-RF
  • Video:SageTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:OBi100/110, Ooma

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

I have the pro version installed as well as the ElkDroid software. Both have pros and cons and are far from perfect. One of the more annoying problems I am having with this software is I don't see anyway to 'scan' the system for additions for when you install keypads or zones after its initial install.

#10 Linwood

Linwood

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

I have the pro version installed as well as the ElkDroid software. Both have pros and cons and are far from perfect. One of the more annoying problems I am having with this software is I don't see anyway to 'scan' the system for additions for when you install keypads or zones after its initial install.

Yeah, I thought so too, it was a real pain, and asked the author.

On the screen that shows each panel, do a long press on that panel's name and you get options among them is refresh.

Hey... can you try something? Download the log. Do you get a bunch of garbage dates up front? Am wondering if it is because i have so little in my panel's log.

#11 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Yes, I noticed that too. I decided to make some f keys run tasks so i could execute them from the free version and realized that I had to delete and readd the panel in order to see the labeling.

Another concern I have is in the f key section. It would be very easy to hit the panic f keys when scrolling. It should have a confirm window pop-up after pressing an f key.

>> You mean you can't download/install it?

Kindle fire is unique device. It has its own marketplace, but the android market is available... so I can see the app, but when I click to install it says "no phone associated with account"

>> I installed it on both my wifes and my evo 4g.

Yeah cuz these are phones, with a number tied to google marketplace. My Fire has no phone hardware.

>> I am very pleased with how well it works.

I'll keep at it, if I find a way I'll post it here

OK, got it. They have their own "official" market place.

#12 BraveSirRobbin

BraveSirRobbin

Cocoonut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6903 posts
  • Software:Main Lobby
  • Hardware:CaddX, Elk M1, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-RF
  • Phone:OBi100/110, Ooma

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

On the screen that shows each panel, do a long press on that panel's name and you get options among them is refresh.

Hey... can you try something? Download the log. Do you get a bunch of garbage dates up front? Am wondering if it is because i have so little in my panel's log.

OK, thanks for the info, can't do this right now but should be able to get to this tonight when home.

#13 Lou Apo

Lou Apo

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2614 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

Ahhh, thanks. I think yours posted while I was composing.

#14 Dan (electron)

Dan (electron)

CocoonTech Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10852 posts
  • Twitter:@CocoonTech
  • Software:EventGhost, HomeSeer
  • Hardware:Elk M1, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB, Z-Wave, ZigBee
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:52 PM

FYI, here is an older thread about the myKeypad application, was wondering if it was still being actively developed.

#15 Linwood

Linwood

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

FYI, here is an older thread about the myKeypad application, was wondering if it was still being actively developed.

Not sure how active, but the developer did just post this version with the price drop and unspecified bug fixes, so he or she is still around. But it doesn't appear to have any recent functionality added.

I had wondered that about the Elkdroid, since it was last posted over a year ago. It appeared to have had a lot of momentum for a while, then just died.

It would appear not a lot of M1G owners are active android developers. I thought about trying my hand at it, but i have too many half done projects already to start another. :blush:

I used this quite a lot last night doing some testing of different zone settings and timers (handy to stand outside and be able to confirm what is happening inside). It definitely can chew up a battery of running actively. When done with it, be sure to exit in such a way the yellow keypad is NOT in the notification area. Just backing all the way out leaves it running in background, you appear to have to hit the red "X" while on the main display for the panel to disconnect.

But really kind of cool, I could watch it arm (and see when the main exit timer expired), then I could flip to NextAlarm and see how quickly they got the arm signal and confirm it showed up, and if desired call up the log. Not sure how much I will use this once I finish testing and installing, but that is very nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users