Premise Premise Open Source?

Motorola Premise

danq

Hello All,

Over the past year I have been contacted by several Premise users and an executive at Motorola asking if I had any thoughts about releasing the source code for the full Premise source (engine, tool chain, utilities, etc.) under an open source license. There appears to be at least some interest in taking the steps necessary to make this happen and FWIW, I fully support the initiative and am willing to help in any way I am able to influence Motorola in that direction.

A project like this requires more than community of interest. It would require at least a few people with the skill, time and energy to organize the petition effort and manage the project.

Please provide your thoughts on this.

Best Regards,
Dan Quigley

I think this would be a gigantic step forward for Premise users. While I am relatively new user to Premise, there are some forum members that have an extremely in depth knowledge of Premise including its bugs and limitations.

I would like to think that the current users in this forum, combined with the users that would be attracted by an open-source solution and the related cost savings would provide enough of a community to keep the open-source project afloat.

I have full intentions of becoming a full-fledged “advanced” user of Premise and would support this cause in any way possible including helping organize the petition effort. Because of my lack of knowledge of the product, I would prefer to leave the management of the project up to the “pros”.

It will be interesting to see the response to this thread.

I would certainly be VERY happy to see this happen. I think it would get many more people involved since the code would have a good chance of "catching up" with today's tech.

I am not a coder, but I would be glad to provide a website, with whatever is necessary to give the project a home, etc.

I still believe that Premise was light years ahead of everything else out there. All it needs is more people involved. Opening up the source would certainly be a big step in that direction.

BTW, I just realized who you are Dan. Great to see you here and to see that you are behind this idea.

Funny, I was just thinking that it had been long enough that open-sourcing Premise might be possible.

And I would hope that it would include what was to be V3.0 :)

Thanks, Dan!

I would be MORE than happy to take on some role in getting Premise Open Sourced! It has a bit of a following, as evidenced in the forums, and Open Source would help those of us trudging along...

Open source seems to be more and more the path forward - given it's age, it would seem Premise would be a natural fit for the effort.

I guess the first step is for people to PM if they are interested in having Premise open sourced - then I can start to get an assessment of what interest is out there...

I would implement Premise if it was open source. The only thing that stopped me from using it in the past was the fact that it was a dead product with no updates. It has one of the best architectures though of any HA software I've looked at.

I'm interested in helping any way I can! Premise was/is a great piece of software, but could use some updates (mainly an Automation Browser that doesn't use activex). Perhaps a recompiled SYSConnector is in the near future if we could get the source code?

I was initially using Premise and bought Homeseer only because, at the time, Premise didn't support Zwave. Truthfully I much prefer Premise to HS in almost every way.

Now that there is a zwave driver I've considered going back to it several times but would really miss HS' HSTouch as flawed as this product is.. If Premise were to go open source I'm sure we could hack up a reasonable touchscreen interface or the ability to use HTML5 or something similar.

Cheers,
M

I'll add my input....
I just started with Premise and was blown away by how easy it was to implement. There are already a couple users on this forum who support it and, honestly, without their help I can't say that I would have stayed with it. If it went open source and was able to be updated I think it would be THE product to use.

Obviously, CocoonTech is more than willing to help get more attention to this so this can happen, so if there is anything I can do, please let me know.

I can also make an announcement on the front page, to drum up more interest.

I would love to see Premise as an open source. I am just starting out with it and don't know what I can contribute but would definately use it.

I would be interested/help as well. As others have said before, being opening source would really help get the interest going since it would no longer be a dead end product.

Back