7 replies to this topic

#1 mstarks01

mstarks01

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

I would like to add wireless capabilities to my Elk system. The goal is to monitor my shed, gate latch and maybe a few others things like motion and water sensors. From what I have gathered, there are two options: one which works with Honeywell sensors and one which works with GE brand. Most people seem to gravitate towards the GE brand.

I see that Elk has the ELK-M1XRFEG, which seems to be suitable for this purpose. Would this be a decent choice? Is there a third-party compatible product that would also serve my needs? Is there any reason to choose a Honeywell-compatible unit? Thank you.

#2 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3296 posts
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:CaddX, DSC, Elk M1, Custom
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

Honeywell has a better selection of devices compared to GE. Most pick GE because the devices are slightly more common as they are OEM or used for multiple manufacturers or panels compared to Honeywell, which is only for Ademco panels. It also seems like the secondary market (Ebay or resellers) tends to have more GE devices.

I have found prices to be comprable based on my supply network, and the only thing I can give GE is a slightly better range on some transmitters.

I'd lean heavily towards Honeywell, especially since they've come out with outdoor rated RF PIR's and transmitters, in addition to their RF dual-tec motions and honestly, a more diverse selection. The other items, besides the new receiver's ability to run aftermarket GE transmitters isn't a game changer for me on 99% of the installs I would see.

#3 42etus

42etus

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:INSTEON

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:15 AM

I installed my Elk system two years ago and decided to go with the Honeywell sensors and the Elk M1XRF2H receiver for all the reasons DELIstallations mentioned. I really do like the choice of transmitters. My transmitters aren't the outdoor rated units, but they still function at -25°F. All but one unit still have the first battery after two years.

#4 Hotwired

Hotwired

Cocooner

• Professionals
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Hardware:Elk M1, HAI OmniPro II, ISY-99, Custom
  • Tech:X10-PLC, INSTEON, RadioRA, Custom

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:20 AM

I've installed a few ELK M1's with the Honeywell wireless system and they have all worked great.

#5 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4443 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

The GE sensors do seem to be much more accessible - not long ago that's the way pretty much everyone on CT went.

Either will work - check out the selection available from your favorite supplier and choose from there - you can't go wrong either way.

#6 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3296 posts
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

The GE sensors do seem to be much more accessible - not long ago that's the way pretty much everyone on CT went.
Either will work - check out the selection available from your favorite supplier and choose from there - you can't go wrong either way.

I'm sure part of that being the only RF available to the M1, first being the NX-548E, which required you to buy the enclosure and pigtail separately to connect to the panel, then Elk's unit that followed. The Honeywell compatible receiver has only been out a couple of years (at best) compared to about 7+ for the M1 itself.

The other side of the coin, which I mentioned in passing, is the GE wireless can be found via almost any third party reseller out there, while Honeywell/Ademco can usually only be purchased through Honeywell's distribution network. Really not a huge deal in the scope of things.

The game changer, which would've been the kicker for me to use more GE was the long-life battery sensors they used to offer, which have been discontinued. I've got original installation ones dating back to before '00 still working fine.

#7 mstarks01

mstarks01

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

The GE sensors do seem to be much more accessible - not long ago that's the way pretty much everyone on CT went. Either will work - check out the selection available from your favorite supplier and choose from there - you can't go wrong either way.

I like the idea of using something like a NX-650 in combination with a pressure pad. Does Honeywell have something similar?

Being new to the wireless side of home security, what site would you recommend I go to in order to get a general feel for what is available for each option?

#8 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3296 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Same as a Honeywell 5816.

Best I could say for Honeywell is to go to http://www.security....m/hsc/index.htm and look up their hardware in it's entirety.

GE/UTC has similar, but navigation stinks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users