Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Audio:Custom
  • CCTV:ip, dvr

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

I have a two wire cable that is connected to my fireplace and tryed connecting a 15amp Zwave Leviton switch, but it did not work. anybody know what i would need to make this work?

#2 Monk

Monk

Dedicated Cocooner

• -=Platinum Supporter=-
  • 715 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • Audio:Russound
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

I have a two wire cable that is connected to my fireplace and tryed connecting a 15amp Zwave Leviton switch, but it did not work. anybody know what i would need to make this work?

Use a non-dimming switch - One with a relay might work. Chances are the 2 wires you are referring to are not line voltage.

#3 gatchel

gatchel

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1, ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON, Z-Wave
  • Audio:Sonos
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

Which Z wave switch? Is your fireplace line voltage controlled or low voltage?

Edited by gatchel, 23 March 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#4 sandjunky

sandjunky

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:12 PM

I think its low volt. i tryed both switches, dimer and 15 amp line load. If it is low volt, what shoul i use? they make a 1.5amp for fans but i am not sure if that will work. at 80 bucks a pop, its kind of hard to "try and see"

#5 Monk

Monk

Dedicated Cocooner

• -=Platinum Supporter=-
  • 715 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • Audio:Russound
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

I think its low volt. i tryed both switches, dimer and 15 amp line load. If it is low volt, what shoul i use? they make a 1.5amp for fans but i am not sure if that will work. at 80 bucks a pop, its kind of hard to "try and see"

See this old thread for some insight. http://cocoontech.co...-gas-fireplace/
A potential problem with using a Zwave relay switch is you probably don't have 110v to the box where your existing control switch is.

#6 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4455 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:45 AM

Check out the thread in my signature - I did the same thing but with UPB.

#7 sandjunky

sandjunky

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

nice, thanks guys!!!

#8 Relay

Relay

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Tech:UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • Phone:VoIP via ISP

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Also, your control might be millivolt in which case you will probably need a relay to control it.

#9 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4455 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:31 AM

Whether milivolt or other similar, if it was working off a normal decora switch before, the instructions in my signature will work fine - just need to adapt the controller switch accordingly.

#10 zimmer62

zimmer62

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

I had to build a circuit for mine... It turns out that the supplied controller applies +6 volts for about 500ms to turn the fireplace on, and -6 volts for about 500ms to turn the fireplace off.. I recreated that with a circuit... I used a standard zwave appliance module to a 5volt power supply connected to a relay that triggers that.

contact closure was not enough for mine.

#11 Frunple

Frunple

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Why not use a tStat?

#12 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4455 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

In my case, because desire to have a fire on had nothing to do with the temperature; but the ambiance. That, and I already had power nearby, but not the necessary control wires to interface a thermostat. The UPB solution in my signature worked beautifully.

#13 Frunple

Frunple

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:20 AM

In my case, because desire to have a fire on had nothing to do with the temperature; but the ambiance. That, and I already had power nearby, but not the necessary control wires to interface a thermostat. The UPB solution in my signature worked beautifully.

But you can still do that with just the Tstat. One of the Omni's will do it. I had that set up when I had a gas fireplace and it works perfectly.

#14 wuench

wuench

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts
  • Software:CQC, EventGhost, Harmony
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • CCTV:dvr

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

I have a similar setup, microvolt attached to a regular switch, the voltage comes from the gas line. I called the manufacturer and they stated that it is absolutely forbidden to run high voltage in the same box as the microvoltage wires due to the risk of causing an explosion. So that rules out any HA switch. Unfortunately the switch is currently mounted in a dual gang box with a regular light switch which was not caught by the inspector. As a safety I wrapped both switches with electrical tape for the time being until I can think of a safer solution.

So before you do anything, I recommend you call the fireplace manufacturer and see what they recommend...

Edited by wuench, 12 April 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#15 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4455 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:34 AM

But you can still do that with just the Tstat. One of the Omni's will do it. I had that set up when I had a gas fireplace and it works perfectly.

Sure - but it would add the cost of a thermostat (including the eyesore of an additional thermostat for no reason); and then I'd need a way to wire it. If you look at the post in my signature, you'll see that what I did was well thought out and perfect for my situation without adding clutter or expense.

I have a similar setup, microvolt attached to a regular switch, the voltage comes from the gas line. I called the manufacturer and they stated that it is absolutely forbidden to run high voltage in the same box as the microvoltage wires due to the risk of causing an explosion. So that rules out any HA switch. Unfortunately the switch is currently mounted in a dual gang box with a regular light switch which was not caught by the inspector. As a safety I wrapped both switches with electrical tape for the time being until I can think of a safer solution.

So before you do anything, I recommend you call the fireplace manufacturer and see what they recommend...

I hate to be that guy, but the reality is, 99% of the people you get on the phone quoting specs or capabilities have their heads up their *****. They are placating fears with no actual knowledge to speak of. I wouldn't trust anything I heard over the phone from someone unless they can back it up with real information that makes sense. I know that what I did was borderline against code, but I also know it's 100% safe, and even with a wife and 3 kids, I am completely comfortable with what I did. I challenge anyone with the appropriate credentials to dispute that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users