IP Camera Selector - but I need more choices.

Monk

I found one that allows me to pick features - then shows matches - IP CameraStore dot net.
It whittles down to only a couple of different cams when I make the choices:

Resolution: 2MP
Mounting: Outdoor
Networking: Wired
Body Type: Bullet
Features: Day Night
Power input: POE

Does anyone know of a camera that has at least these specs for maybe south of ~500.00?

I am thinking I also want the ability to turn off / on the IR's via software and / or perhaps use a separate IR illuminator. All replies appreciated.

Vivotek IP7361 is about as close as you're going to get for that price.

I have one and I like it.

If I were buying now, I'd get the IP 8362 for a little more becuase of the upgraded processor, more RAM, WDR, and H.264 streaming.

Does anyone know of a camera that has at least these specs for maybe south of ~500.00?

I am thinking I also want the ability to turn off / on the IR's via software and / or perhaps use a separate IR illuminator. All replies appreciated.

Maybe in another year or two...I haven't seen anything in that range as of yet, either.

I've been casually looking around for cameras with approximately these specs. I have no knowledge or experience with surveillance cameras. Do these specs define a 'sweet spot' for residential cameras?

In some other threads I've asked for favorite camera manufacturers, and Vivotek was NOT mentioned, but the specs look good at an OK price point. Are there any quality issues with the brand? Any problems integrating them into a system?

I like the wired IP/POE architecture for installation ease. I need only outdoor models. I need day/night functionality. The 2MP looks like a good resolution..

Thoughts?

If you shop around you can find the FD8361 for between $500 and $600. I have 2 of them and they work well.

The Vivoteks have onboard storage, I'm running 32GB SD cards on mine.
They have adjustable lenses, multiple streams, work with HAI touch screens and Haiku, digital IO, motion, e-mail and text logging and have push streaming.
They will push a constant record stream to a NAS or network disk directly from the camera without any server software running.
A good set of features for the price.

Also look at the Bosch IP camera line NDC-225-PI. they have a lot of the same as Vivoteks and cost around $330 ish. Built in IR, edge storage, mega pix and so on.

I've been casually looking around for cameras with approximately these specs. I have no knowledge or experience with surveillance cameras. Do these specs define a 'sweet spot' for residential cameras?
Thoughts?
I wouldn't call it a sweet spot per se. If you back off on the resolution just a bit, the choices are much greater and the prices more reasonable.

Vivotek IP7361 is about as close as you're going to get for that price.

I have one and I like it.

If I were buying now, I'd get the IP 8362 for a little more becuase of the upgraded processor, more RAM, WDR, and H.264 streaming.

Thanks for the reply.
Do you know if you able to shut off the IR via firmware setting?

If you shop around you can find the FD8361 for between $500 and $600. I have 2 of them and they work well.
Thanks.
Those look like Dome cameras - If I were going dome, (for this circumstance) I would go with a (physical) PTZ model.

Also look at the Bosch IP camera line NDC-225-PI. they have a lot of the same as Vivoteks and cost around $330 ish. Built in IR, edge storage, mega pix and so on.
Another Dome version - but thanks for suggesting Bosch. I didn't think to look to see what they offered that might meet my "spec"

Resolution: 2MP
Mounting: Outdoor
Networking: Wired
Body Type: Bullet
Features: Day Night
Power input: POE

The installation is clean and simple.
The mount is really solid.
It comes with the waterproof connectors for the LAN cable.

Thanks for the feedback on the Vivotek and the pointer to the Bosch products.

What form factor camera do most folks use for residential, outdoor, property-perimeter applications? Bullet? Dome? Box? Do folks prefer overt (e.g. bullet) or covert (e.g. well hidden dome)?

I'm leaning toward the bullet form factor, but I can't exactly explain why. Perhaps they have more flexible mounting options? I think that domes need to be mounted under overhangs. I suppose domes can be wall mounted also. Are domes more weather resistant? The application is in Pennsylvania so winter weather is a factor.

Back