• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AntonZdz

AntonZdz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi All

I have some HomeEasy (Byron) and X10 modules at home that currently just operate of a few remote controlls. I would like to get the hooked up to my iPhone/iPad etc etc. As a result I have just ordered an RFXCom RFXtrx433. I would like to use Premise as my primary automation tool, however I cannot see anywhere if my Transciever is supported by Premise.

Any Thoughts?

Thanks

Anton

#2 chucklyons

chucklyons

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Premise
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:INSTEON, Z-Wave, RadioRA
  • Audio:Xantech
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

Not natively - but the device seems to offer an incredible amount of flexibility for device interaction!

Given the number of HA systems it is supported by, I couldn't imagine it being terribly difficult to write a driver for....

#3 AntonZdz

AntonZdz

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any basic wiki docs/instructions on writing your own driver? Done a little bit of coding before but never written a driver! Presumably a driver in this case refers to software used to link between premise and the device, not the sort of driver windows uses for its hardware (there is a RFXCom windows driver already). You can also get an SDK form RFXcom if you ask nicely, so maybe that would be a good startng point?

#4 bcg27

bcg27

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

It looks like that device uses an USB to rs232 converter chip, so I would think you would communicate to as you would a normal serial port in Premise. For the most part, unless you write native drivers in c++, writing drivers in premise is not really what you are thinking, a lot of stuff is already taken care of. Watch some of the tutorial videos available from the download section - I would watch "System Topology and Controlling Devices", "Introductory Programming", and "Two Way Serial Control" at a minimum. They are about an hour each.

#5 etc6849

etc6849

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • Tech:X10-RF, Z-Wave, Custom
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Neat device. Does the X10 RF transmit ability allow you to plug in a transceiver into the wall and control lighting?

#6 etc6849

etc6849

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1605 posts
  • Tech:X10-RF, Z-Wave, Custom
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

X10 over LAN?!? How neat is that: http://www.rfxcom.com/transceivers.htm

Too bad they don't make 310MHz versions for those in the US :(

PS: here's a driver I made for the W800RF32 (an X10 receiver). http://cocoontech.co...d-and-security/

Edited by etc6849, 19 May 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#7 hobbes487

hobbes487

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

RFXCOM has a really good SDK and sample application to aid in adding support for their devices. They will give it to you if you tell them you want to add support for it . I have been using it to add support to Open Source Automation. It is basically just reading and writing to the serial port but they have taken care of the translation of all the bits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users