Resolution Products Wireless Driveway Sensor Review

inline

I saw mention to this product in another thread: http://cocoontech.co...__fromsearch__1

I've been wanting to do the driveway alert for a while now, but burying the probe as with most products seemed too much work for the novelty factor I need it for. So I ordered this and got it a week ago. The product was delivered on time and packaged well. The product is very simple and works as it is supposed to. The construction is very good and I expect it to last a long time based on talking with the staff before my purchase, they test these units in WI where they are located, so they are subjected to some pretty harsh weather.

I added it as a chime based alert on my ELK and it faithfully lets me know when a vehicle is coming or going on the driveway. Unfortunately, the WAF in terms of the physical appearance was quite low, so I had to mount this pretty close to ground level so as not to cause problems, but it works fine even low to the ground.

drivewaysensor.jpg

Thanks for the review! For exact same reasons you mentioned, I haven’t installed a driveway monitor.

The DakotaAlert wireless driveway sensors looked interesting. Ultimately, I did not purchase because I did not want a separate signaling box in my alarm structured media box (i.e., power, space, and wiring). Lastly, yet another wireless security protocol did not sound appealing.

Hopefully, the resolution products support the GE Crystal Trouble/Low Battery signaling protocol.

I think I am going to buy two and install (I have circular driveway). Maybe, some other people may be interested and can get AutomatedOutlet to carry product line.

I have interest in this product as well. I have a Dakota Alert MURS driveway sensor installed and the contact points on the receiver connected to a point on my M1G. Although it works pretty well, it is also the worlds best lightning detector. Even distant lightning causes the unit to false trip. I've had to program a function key on my keypad to enable/disable the driveway alarm point when there are storms in the area. I've been working with Dakota Alert on the problem, which they acknowledge, but have not found a resolution. I'm going to give one of these Resolution units a try. I have a circular drive as well and may need 2 to cover both lanes.

We did have storms today with lightning and I did get a few false alerts, just FYI. Seems that all magnetometer based solutions will pick this up...

We did have storms today with lightning and I did get a few false alerts, just FYI. Seems that all magnetometer based solutions will pick this up...

I guess that makes sense. One thing you might consider are some rules for detection. Maybe that zone has to be violated for a certain amount of seconds, or more then one detection before a final notification is sent.

Could also use the pneumatic based DA product, though not as stealthy as a magnetometer based unit.

I haven't heard of any issues with the Cartel units we typically put in, so wonder if it's unique to DA products.

How about a pair of probes that would need to be faulted. We do this all the time in the way of gate safety loops or to extend or modify the detection area.

I thought about this too, but I would think that the lightning would set off both...pneumatic based I don't think would get approval from my management...LOL

Thinking maybe the lack of falses that we've experienced with more traditional based units is because they're essentially in contact with a basic EG, which probably helps with the transients, but might have more to do with the attached circuitry.

My Resolution RE104 GE-Compatible Driveway Sensor unit was delivered today. It installed and configured easily as an AUX 24 hour zone. I attached it to a split rail fence post about 4 feet from the edge of one of my driveway lanes. We'll see how well it senses vehicular traffic and more importantly to me, how well it handles thunder storms, which cause my Dakota Alert MURS system to false during almost any storm. If it handles the lightning storms well I'll need to install a second one for the other lane of my circular drive.

That looks very similar to the HAI wireless driveway sensor.
I have mine buried next to the driveway right at road level in a irrigation valve box.
It works great and it's hidden by the driveway foliage.

I sent an email to company and the president responded rather quickly. The low battery trouble alert is supported. He indicated that 2 C-cell alkaline batteries should last 3-5 years. The detection is based on changes in earth magnetic field. He also sort of alluded to that driveway device has robust transmitter similar to NX-650.

I suspect that lightning storms will cause problem for any electro-magnetic sensor. Short of having a manual or automated way to bypass sensor during storm, you would have to live with false alarm inconvenience.

That looks very similar to the HAI wireless driveway sensor.
I have mine buried next to the driveway right at road level in a irrigation valve box.
It works great and it's hidden by the driveway foliage.

Resolution wireless is OEM for a couple of manufacturers.

Anyone know what the minimum distance between two of these sensors (parallel to the driveway, at ground level, each 13' from where the car would be) is in order to provide enough time between triggers so the M1G rules can determine the direction of travel of the auto?

Also, the documentation says the sensor is good up to 15' from the car. At 15' (and ground level), is it marginally acceptable and starts to drop off rapidly beyond that, or is it still "good" at 15', i.e., comparable to half that distance?

Finally, when it senses a car, is it a momentary closure that occurs once for the entire time the car is in its field, or is it a closure that stays closed for the entire time the car is in its field?

Thanks,
Ira

The company’s President indicated there is a hysteresis period. If the car parks for certain amount of time, two notifications will be generated – one for initial violation and second after idle timeout expires and car moves again. I asked this question because I was curious how battery life would be impacted if car parked in detection area.

I suspect you could space out the devices in order to build a direction of travel HA rule. Building an ElkRP rule using counters and virtual outputs may be possible (but not intuitive).

I ordered a driveway sensor today to play around with.

As side issue, I wish company would build a driveway sensor that included some form of long-range RFID. It would be cool to incorporate identification when known car is found. This enhanced device could also tell you if some tagged valuable were leaving driveway.

A magnetometer based device really needs to be separated by some distance if multiples are used for directional indication. Part of the reason why detection loops still exist for gates and traffic detection.

Back