• Experience:average
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:EyeTV
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:35 AM

I installed a ELK 44 speaker (within 1rt) on output 2 and have 2 issues:

1) Output 2 trouble. No matter what I do here, I can't get this to stop when connecting the 44. I plugged in a conventional speaker and the trouble stopped. Should I just put a resister (2.2, I think) across the contacts and call it a day?

2) Not very much sound. And really, it's soft for an alarm, probably can't hear it next door. Output 1 is VERY loud, but that is inside. How do I make it LOUD? Should I just give up and get a ELK 45 and set to voltage out?

Maybe the issue is one of distance, the run is probably about 50 ft -- I used speaker wire for the extra gauge.

Thanks in advance.

#2 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3373 posts
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:CaddX, DSC, Elk M1, Custom
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

Sounds like the speaker is suspect to me, but have you used a meter to verify the wiring for no shorts, grounds or opens, following with metering the speaker itself to verify that it is good? The speaker sits in there pretty tight and that stainless can be pretty sharp.

You didn't connect the tampers to the speaker wiring, correct?

The 1RT is pretty loud when connected to OUT 2, so something sounds amiss.

#3 Nolarola

Nolarola

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

I'm going to connect the speaker directly to the panel and see what happens, if it works, I'll check the wiring.

As far as the speaker, it's actually a warranty replacement for a previously defective 44 (no sound at all), so I'd hope the new one isn't defective -- I'll meter the resistance on it to make sure it's good.

"You didn't connect the tampers to the speaker wiring, correct?" -- correct, not connected at all.

#4 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3373 posts
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

Take a meter to your wiring and check for grounds or high resistance faults as well.

#5 Nolarola

Nolarola

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'm starting to think the issue is output 2 on the M1G, I connected the speaker to it and it doesn't work at all -- not soft, not at all.

#6 BraveSirRobbin

BraveSirRobbin

Cocoonut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7100 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Main Lobby
  • Hardware:CaddX, Elk M1, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-RF
  • Video:SageTV
  • Phone:OBi100/110, Ooma

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

I believe their is a volume in the Global's settings but might be wrong. Might want to check that though.

#7 chrisexv6

chrisexv6

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Would the speaker vs voltage setting for Output 2 being incorrect have this effect?

#8 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

To an extent. Voltage would only drive the speaker to pull in, causing a brief click or pop sound when the voltage hits it, however it would not generate any sound other than the bump from the initial voltage.

A ground fault or high resistance cable also has the possibility to do the same, since the impedance would be too high for the driver to drive properly.

Also, I remember something, might be OUT 1 instead, but the initial alarm volume is low, then it ramps to the maximum after something like 60 seconds. I know OUT 2 has the delay function...I might be thinking of when the M1 first came out, I'd have to dig through a bunch of PDF's for the first versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users