#1 Serhito

Serhito

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hi,
I am new to home automation. I have been researching over the internet for various products.
I finally found Haiku and it seems to be the software I would like to have. I am having a problem figuring out what hardware will be required to accomplish the following :

- doors locking/unlocking (2-3 doors)
- doors and windows sensors to know if it is open/close
- 2-3 security cameras
- audio selection of speakers throughout the house.
- thermostat control for temp/humidity for house and pool temp control.
- sprinklers control.
- lights control.

I would like to control all these through ipad/iphone and mac.

Could you please provide a checklist of hardware required for this as well as an estimate of prices ?
Would need an idea of prices for each sensor, switch, etc...
Any vendor you recommend ?

I am new to this but I have an experienced electrician that will install it for me.

Thanks.

#2 Serhito

Serhito

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

Please note that for temp control, i will have 4-5 different zones. Do I need a wall thermostat controller in each zone ?

#3 lupinglade

lupinglade

Cocoonut

• Manufacturers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:UPB, ZigBee, Custom
  • Audio:Nuvo
  • Video:AirPlay
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:Linksys PAP2, Vonage

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:28 AM

Hi,
I am new to home automation. I have been researching over the internet for various products.
I finally found Haiku and it seems to be the software I would like to have. I am having a problem figuring out what hardware will be required to accomplish the following :

Without knowing all of the specifics of your existing hardware such as the HVAC, etc, these are some generic answers that usually will work:

- doors locking/unlocking (2-3 doors)

You can use Zigbee or Z-wave door locks or you can use hard-wired latches, but thats more work to install. ASIHome carries them.

- doors and windows sensors to know if it is open/close

These are just standard wired security sensors or you can use HAI's wireless ones.

- 2-3 security cameras

Any MJPEG-compatible camera will work, for an inexpensive but very basic PTZ camera look at Foscam. They also have inexpensive outdoor cameras.

- audio selection of speakers throughout the house.

Systems compatible with HAI's controllers will work, have a look at HAI's Connectivity Partners on their web site. You can use something like NuVo's Essentia G, which is a great product.

- thermostat control for temp/humidity for house and pool temp control.

For the house, use HAI's thermostats -- they will give you full integration and control. You will likely need one for each of your zones. For the pool I know HAI has Jandy integration, but also I think you can automate it in many other ways. Depends on what you currently have controlling the pool.

- sprinklers control.

You can use a HAI relay module to control the sprinkler valves directly and write your sprinkler program in Haiku or within the HAI controller's built in programming. This gives you the most control, is easy to setup and very cost-effective as you can avoid having to purchase a home-automation compatible sprinkler controller. If you only have a few zones you can even use the built in relays on the controller board.

- lights control.

You have many options with HAI controllers, you can get more info on them on HAI's website. I can vouch for HAI HLC (UPB) being a great option that is easy to retrofit and gives you a full feature-set.

I would like to control all these through ipad/iphone and mac.

You will be able to with Haiku/HaikuHelper.

Could you please provide a checklist of hardware required for this as well as an estimate of prices ?

You will need the controller itself as well, which would likely be an HAI OmniPro II.

Cost of the system will vary widely depending on the size of your home, the % you want to automate, etc. Ballpark around $10,000 for the needed hardware alone for what you listed, excluding wire, basic networking equipment, in-wall touch panels, etc. This is assuming 3-4 audio zones with Essentia G, 40 HAI HLC UPB light switches, $1000 worth of security sensors, 2 Zigbee locks + Zigbee module, 2 Foscam cameras, 4 HAI two-stage thermostats, relay module for sprinklers and the OmniPro II controller itself.

You can probably get away with less by going with a cheaper audio solution and less light switches. You can also easily spend more.

You can get pricing information on the parts at www.asihome.com or contact them directly (they'll be able to give you better prices). You will need the parts mentioned above. To give you exact part numbers you would need to give us more details on your configuration, but a little research will help you understand the system better and you should be able to pick out the parts as needed yourself. It may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but its actually quite straight forward.

Edited by lupinglade, 17 June 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#4 lupinglade

lupinglade

Cocoonut

• Manufacturers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

Would need an idea of prices for each sensor, switch, etc...
Any vendor you recommend ?

Worthington is great at asihome.com as I mentioned. All the pricing information can be found there. You will usually get better prices when you request a quote or give them a call.

I am new to this but I have an experienced electrician that will install it for me.

Depending on whether its a new build or an existing home, the way you install will differ. Ie. new build its easier and better to hard wire most things, but for a retrofit its often easier to use wireless products in most cases. If you have access to an unfinished basement that is a big help too for a retrofit.

#5 Serhito

Serhito

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

thank you all for your replies.
I should have been a little bit more specific about the house. It will be a new construction. I would rather go with wiring the whole thing.
House is in Florida, so no basement.
Looking to install :

- 2 doors unlock/lock. 1 garage door unlock/lock. Can you install a lock/unlock on a window sliding door ? (would have about 2 of them)

- sensors to detect close/open, quite a bunch but all wired. So any wired window sensor will do the job ? will this do ?
http://www.asihome.c...roducts_id=3500

- audio would be music from my desktop computer to 6 location single speakers. Is there a cheap way to just control which speakers are used ?

- light control. I would just need the kitchen/living room area and outdoor patio. Let's say 10 stations. Can you give me a link for these ? Can't find it on the website you recommended.

- thermostats. Do I need one of those for each zone ? Anything cheaper ?
http://www.asihome.c...roducts_id=4876

Also, do you wire directly these devices to the controller or is there any hardware in between ?
Any online literature to educate myself on home automation and how the HAI system work ? Not trying to install, but understand to know what I can or can't do.

Thanks.

#6 lupinglade

lupinglade

Cocoonut

• Manufacturers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:25 AM

thank you all for your replies.
I should have been a little bit more specific about the house. It will be a new construction. I would rather go with wiring the whole thing.
House is in Florida, so no basement.
Looking to install :

- 2 doors unlock/lock. 1 garage door unlock/lock. Can you install a lock/unlock on a window sliding door ? (would have about 2 of them)

Regular doors are easy to do, a sliding door like a patio door might be tricker but there must be a product that exists for this?

- sensors to detect close/open, quite a bunch but all wired. So any wired window sensor will do the job ? will this do ?
http://www.asihome.c...roducts_id=3500

Look at something more like this: http://www.asihome.c...products_id=739

It will be cheaper, less visible and will work properly with the HAI controller. There are many similar products from other manufacturers. These are really small and install into a hole drilled in the window frame/window. They also work for doors the same way. You can install it in the door frame and the door on the hinge side so its quite invisible. There are also some other types for doors that are spring-loaded.

- audio would be music from my desktop computer to 6 location single speakers. Is there a cheap way to just control which speakers are used ?

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would integrate with Haiku or HAI easily that isn't a hardware zoning product. You would be better off going with a real solution for audio (zoned receiver).

- light control. I would just need the kitchen/living room area and outdoor patio. Let's say 10 stations. Can you give me a link for these ? Can't find it on the website you recommended.

Sure, dimmer: http://www.asihome.c...roducts_id=1634

And remote switch if you need it: http://www.asihome.c...roducts_id=1644

You can browse all of HAI's products here: http://www.asihome.c...acturers_id=106

- thermostats. Do I need one of those for each zone ? Anything cheaper ?
http://www.asihome.c...roducts_id=4876

Yes you will need one for each zone. Either single or two stage depending on your system. They are quite a bit cheaper than advertised. Contact ASIHome/Worthington for an actual quote.

Also, do you wire directly these devices to the controller or is there any hardware in between ?
Any online literature to educate myself on home automation and how the HAI system work ? Not trying to install, but understand to know what I can or can't do.

A wire goes from each thermostat to the controller, the same for the security sensors. The light switches work right over the power line and do not require a direct connection to the controller. When you order the controller, order a starter kit and you will also get the enclosure, battery, security keypad (you might need a few more of these near your entrances), a UPB interface (this is what you need to talk to the UPB light switches), etc.

Look on HAI's web site, you can find the user/install manual for the controller, that should give you some idea on how it all works.

Edited by lupinglade, 21 June 2012 - 12:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users