Photo
- - - - -

Security contacts multiple usage/double pole switch?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 N49atv

N49atv

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hello,

Question 1:
Im trying to size my plc cabinet for install, and I can't find anything in the OPII manual. I will have every door and window with a contact for status. Some will be used for security, some just cause. The total number will be close to 60 inputs Into security. I'll be using the 16 zone expander cards (3 I think) and will have everything ran back individually. I'd like to use some contacts for light control (signal to upb switch), some will also be used for announcement through whole house audio (kids opening doors they shouldn't, also friends have some disabled children so we would want a separate mode for them. My question Is can I pull status off any of the inputs for whatever I want (I'd think this is possible with my knowledge of PLC logic) or will I need to install relays in my cabinet?

Question,
I haven't seen a single paddle in the catalog or online that will control 2 loads based on taps, without hiding another switch, or going SA split config, or scene control. Is there a double pole switch avail in single paddle design?

Thanks for your time. If there is a PDF on the controller programming, or tech capabilities, could you point me in that direction?

Thanks.

#2 gatchel

gatchel

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:Elk M1, ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON, Z-Wave
  • Audio:Sonos
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Search Sentrol DPDT on google. The 3/4 and 1 inch ones have the capability to send 2 isolated signals, not sure about the smaller ones as I only ever use SPDT devices.

#3 JonW

JonW

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:UPB

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

The OPII will be able to respond to any of the input zones without any extra relays or such. I always tell people that the security zones are the eyes & ears of the automation system for triggering all kinds of automated tasks.

You can get the dual load SA switch with a single paddle configuration. You could have the single tap activate load one and a double tap activate load two. You will need to do some of the programming in UpStart as opposed to just within HAI HLC.

All the PDF docs are at the HAI website: www.homeauto.com

#4 N49atv

N49atv

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Single tap for main lights, double for accent lights. Just don't want to go too many switches, or to a scene switch for lighting. I'll still run one but not for full on/off/manual dim.

I figured the security zones were just inputs to the controller, and not specific to security. I just didn't want to order a 4' PLC cabinet, and need a six foot like this...[attachment=4381:ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340222341.829302.jpg

My current nightmare. Engineering is terrible, modified old prints for unrelated panel, didn't draw half the required inputs, so panel shop didn't wire any. That and this is what I have to work in

Posted Image

Attached Files

Edited by N49atv, 20 June 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#5 HAI_fjh

HAI_fjh

Dedicated Cocooner

• Manufacturers
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Just notices something in your original post. You mentioned using 3 hard wire 16 zone expanders. The OmniPro II only supports 2. To achieve what you want I think you will need an OmniPro II (16 zone inputs), 2 x hard wire zone expanders (2 x 16 zones = 32 zones), and one expansion enclosure (16 zones). This will give you a total of 64 zones.

I would strongly recommend working with an experienced dealer/installer or doing a lot of reading. I usually use spread sheets to map out my zones, the number and types of switches, and my power budget. Good planning before you buy or pull wire can save a lot of time, money and aggravation.

Edited by HAI_fjh, 25 June 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#6 joe morris

joe morris

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Custom
  • Tech:UPB, Custom
  • Audio:Nuvo
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

Just notices something in your original post. You mentioned using 3 hard wire 16 zone expanders. The OmniPro II only supports 2. To achieve what you want I think you will need an OmniPro II (16 zone inputs), 2 x hard wire zone expanders (2 x 16 zones = 32 zones), and one expansion enclosure (16 zones). This will give you a total of 64 zones.

I would strongly recommend working with an experienced dealer/installer or doing a lot of reading. I usually use spread sheets to map out my zones, the number and types of switches, and my power budget. Good planning before you buy or pull wire can save a lot of time, money and aggravation.

I made the mistake of not getting a cabinet large enough for an expansion closure. I did add a single zone expander but then I ran out of outputs. So i needed to purchase the expansion board. I still have not installed it because I now need to get a second cabinet and install it in the wall first. So you may also want to consider the number of outputs you may need/want in your hardware selection process. I chewed up the 8 that are on the main board without really trying hard at all.

Also, I found a dealer/installer that is willing to work really well with DIYers. PM me if you want the contact info.

Joe

#7 joe morris

joe morris

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Search Sentrol DPDT on google. The 3/4 and 1 inch ones have the capability to send 2 isolated signals, not sure about the smaller ones as I only ever use SPDT devices.

I was searching for a switch based on the search criteria and all that came were door contacts. I could not find a switch that has the functionality requested. (I would like to find one too.) Gatchel, Can you help a little more?

Thanks

Joe

#8 N49atv

N49atv

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

Here is the switch

http://www.simply-au...ircuit_base.php

#9 joe morris

joe morris

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Here is the switch

http://www.simply-au...ircuit_base.php

I know this switch. I have 2 of them. The original request was for a single rocker switch that could control two loads based on a single vs double tap. Can this switch be programmed through Upstart to do this?

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users