google nexus Q

I don't see why they would have needed SageTV to build this type of product. The 7" Tablet does sound pretty interesting tho. While SlashDot.org has been declining in quality, they do have good coverage of the Google event.

I honestly think Google acquired SageTV just to eliminate competition from their products such as this one (yes, I'm still bitter). :angry2:

I don't get it?? So you're throwing a party and anyone can add songs to a playlist?? Must be a great party.

I don't get the point either, but then again, just like BSR, I am still grumpy about the SageTV buyout :angry2:

Bitter? Wow, you guys are doing better than I am. I'm still at absolutely furious. I wish I was just bitter. Btw, I don't get the Q either.

I suspect I am one of the bigger party-ers on in the cocoon but I think its amazing, we have a lot of parties and the music is always such a hassle, it would be awesome to just put in a few songs and let everyone else do the work. It needs to be developed a bit more, hopefully they can get an Iphone app so everyone can get in on the fun, and if other people could access my local library that would be nice too. If they dropped the amp, cut the price in half and made it so different orbs on the network didnt have to play the same thing i would buy 3 of them.

Not to mention what the hackers might do with it, there is some serious horse power in that thing.

Its without question the coolest way to play music, even if it were just me and the GF home

I don't know what's actually in the nexus Q, but I do know that when I saw that, my first thought was "oh maybe it's so expensive because they stuck a galaxy nexus in there without a screen" so then I thought about how to accomplish what I wanted with all the old android phones I have... except the old ones can't be updated past certain android software releases, so then I decided I couldn't do better with what I already had, so I wanted a nexus q in every room, but without the built-in speaker/amp so I could hide it inside cabinets.

Edit:
After actually doing some research, at $199, it seems the most interesting solution for me would be to place a docked nexus 7 in every room I wanted audio or other automation in... At least with Google Music, I can upload all my content to the cloud and not have to keep my fileserver running for that kind of media.

But what will you 'do' with one in every room? I still dont get it.Is it supposed to be like a Sonos system that everyone can access and control? If so i'll say again,must be one hell of a party if everyone is just standing around making a playlist. Just put on pandora and be done with it and start enjoying the 'party'!

In my case, I really just want to watch alarm sensor status or security cameras from wherever I am without lugging an ipad around. I guess in summary it's just laziness for me... and then I have two kids that like to listen to the same two songs over and over again... so party mode is useless, but letting them entertain themselves with a tablet they can't take out of the wall and drop might be interesting.

I actually have a Q and the 7 inch tablet. ( I've been attending I/O since the start, and took a break from construction go attend this year... looking for any Google @ Home people )

The tablet is pretty great! It has excellent handability, if that's a word. All house members agree.

As the walls are all open at our house I keep looking for a POE / USB adapter. It would be great to have these charged in wall-docks waiting to be snarfed up.

I have NOT fired up the Q. first we actually don't have anything to plug the HDMI into! ( more of a music house ) But this too has a great feel. I am looking forward to developing on this box once I'm sitting down for a few days.

saw a post somewhere that they have hacked a full version of android onto it most things in the app store seem to work on it. hopefully there will be some cool stuff to do with it in the next 6 months

So can you play against multiple, like with several in sync at once?

If not, I don't get it - Today I have a couple Apple Airport Expresses in my house - and whoever has something to share just fires up their iPhone and picks the one for the room they're in. The weakness is that it can't sync multiple zones... but if your content is in iTunes, you can use the remote app, then you can treat it like a multizone system.

On the other hand, I just fire up Pandora on a phone then throw it in my pocket. If someone else wants to share something (all the regulars in my house - friends and family, carry iPhones) - then I release the airport and let them have it... works amazingly well!

yea it will sync multiple units the problem is it doesn't work the other way, right now you cant play different things on different units on the same network

Back