Newbie Looking for help and advice

All,

I am designing a new home, and want to make sure I have the proper list in mind for my security/automation plans.

I am looking at the Elk M1 system, with the M1XEP, to be controlled by a couple of iPad's running eKeypad, and possibly a standard keypad (or the M1KPNAV).

For zones, the plans are:
21 total sensors (4 door contacts, 7 window contacts, 5 motion sensors, 5 glass break sensors)

What I am looking for is some help on what equipment I actually need to buy, any brand recommendations on sensors, and if you recommend wired or wireless.

Also, I am looking at a couple of network/ip security cameras with dvr that I can incorporate into eKaypad or another iPad software.

I plan on doing the installation myself, so any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Wired is preferred, as you don't have to deal with batteries, etc. Just like your smoke/co2 detectors the batteries always seem to fail at the most inconvenient times. If you do do wireless make sure you get sensors with replaceable batteries. You'll need a zone expander (M1XIN) since you are over 16 zones if you go wired, or the GE or Elk wireless expander if you do wireless. If you get one of the packages it should come with everything else you need (speaker, keypad, battery).

Optionally
an M1XOVR if you want some outputs for the future (you will have 1 available on the control for things like garage doors, irrigation, etc)
an M1XSP if you want HVAC, etc
Data bus hub if you add the above and want to simplify wiring

Wuench,

Thanks for the reply.

I have downloaded the manual for the M1 and am somewhat confused, not having the unit in front of me isn't helping.

My plan is to have a zoned HVAC system (3 thermostats, talking to the furnace through a zoned controller), all using the M1 for automation. What add-on do I need to the M1? M1XSP? How many? 1 for the zone controller, or 3 - 1 for each thermostat? Do I connect the thermostats to the M1XSP first and then to the controller or to the controller first and then to the M1XSP? How does the M1XSP connect to the M1?

If I want to do some lighting automation with the M1, what do I need to add to the M1? I haven't decided yet on Insteon or UPB.

I also want to add a whole-house audio system, to be controlled through the M1. What do I need to add to the M1? How does it connect?

Thanks!

Scott

Typically you will need an M1XSP for thermostat control, I am not sure about multizone control (I would assume only 1 M1XSP but I can't say for sure) you should be able to find info on this here searching or hopefully someone with a litter more experience with multizone can chime in. Insteon you would want an ISY and it just talks over ethernet to the M1XEP. UPB would require an M1XSP.

There is a technote on the Elk site that describes the Audio options. It looks like that works over ethernet as well (M1XEP), but you need an IP to serial converter (ELK-IP232) on the audio controller end (Russound, Proficient, or Nuvo). This just provides control via rules or a keypad. If you want to put your Elk voice over the home audio speakers you'll need to convert output 2 to a line level output, again a search on CT should turn up the details.

If you want to put your Elk voice over the home audio speakers you'll need to convert output 2 to a line level output, again a search on CT should turn up the details.

http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/3950-voice-select-between-elk-and-sound-card/page__hl__preamp

I suggest you read the manual several times. Skip the keypad programming section.

Ideally you'll choose all subsystem hardware before buying the m1. Figure out how it all fits together first. But, don't buy the devices until you're ready to install them. Installation may take awhile.

Back