PLEASE HELP! Newbie here with questions...

dnprice3

Okay, i've been bitten by the big bad HA bug. I currently live in a doublewide mobile home (very nice, but still a mobile home) that we just put up for sale. As soon as it sales, we're building a 2700 sq. ft home which I want to fully integrate with zoned security, whole home A/V seperated by zones, home theatre, lighting, window shades, irrigation, water main shut-off valve, zoned climate control, pool & spa, etc...you get it, right? On the new home, I would like to be hardwired as much as possible, especially for the security and safety sensors, but i'm okay with z-wave or whatevers best for HA. What is the best way to go? I'm not sure if it's with ELK, HAI, Crestron, or what. Or a combination??? What do I need to buy? I know I need the controller and devices, but what else?

As far as the mobile home, i'm thinking about Mi Casa Verde Vera3 for t-stat, door lock, lights and maybe some cameras. Any thoughts or advice would be awesome! I'm not completely sold on the Vera, but it looks like its pretty good for beginners, plus because im in a mobile home I need everything to be wireless. Any thoughts on compatible security camera systems with Vera would be cool, too. I cant seem to find much.

Really just lost on what I need to get going. I am a licensed journeyman electrician, so im good with the elctrical part.
THANKS!!!!

I was just in your position not to long ago. Although I'm no expert I can already tell you that you will be advised to read over the wiring guides 1st http://www.cocoontec...r_New_House_101. After that you can get an idea of what you want and you can start to narrow down your choices and be able to ask specific questions on what you would like to know. In the beginning I was at the stage I didn't know what I didn't know so there was no way I could ask specific questions. The wiring guides are great and will get you pointed in the direction you want to go. After you decide what you want you can focus your attention to pre-wiring and running as much as possible. Once you have wire done you can focus your attention on specific platform once you move in. I did some pre-wiring and still have more to go once we move in (estimated closing date is the end of July). Good luck and keep up to date on your build!

Welcome to CocoonTech!

xclusive is right, you really should take a look at those guides, they will help a lot.

Also, you need to figure out if you are doing this DIY (if so, Crestron, etc. is out), or if you are going with a professional installer (might be required by your builder, even for running the security wiring).

Either way, don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you can think of, we are a friendly bunch!

Hello....I've been lurking on these forums for a few weeks, but I'm a first time poster. Big picture, I'm looking to design an unmonitored wireless home security system with remote access/control and email/text/phone alerts. I've been reading alot on the internet, but I've found security and automation can be pretty complex as you move into premium systems. Here is a list of my needs I've created:

Must Haves:
-Remote access & control
-Email/Text/Phone Alerts
-No monitoring fees
-Customizable automation settings for when security sytem is triggered
-Z Wave compatible for automation

Would Like:
-Outdoor Video cameras with motion detection alerts integrated into security system(not required)
-Wireless security system and Home Automation system integrated

Desired Wireless Security Sensors:
-Door/Window
-Motion
-Glass Break
-Siren/Strobe
-Garage Door
-Panic Buttons
-Entry/Exit Alerts
-Wall Mounted Control Pad

It sounds like a lot of people recommend the Elk M1 Gold. I've also considered the MiCasa Verde just because it seems simple and compatible with many devices(I'd imagine it would be lacking in security features since this isn't its primary purpose). I'd appreciate any information that could help narrow my choices down or some kind of vector on which systems meet my needs. Thanks!

Back