Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Phone:VoIP via ISP

Posted 05 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

I have heard of alarm systems in Europe being set up for the following situation:

Someone breaks into your house and the alarm goes off, and assailant holds you hostage or threatens you, you can input a special code that turns off the siren, and lets monitor company know that you are being held hostage/assaulted. I guess it is similar to a panic button.

Does anyone have any experience with this and how it would be programmed?

Thanks.

#2 Kazibole

Kazibole

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Software:Elve
  • Tech:UPB
  • Video:SageTV
  • CCTV:analog, dvr

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

In the Elk M1 you can set up a special user code for "duress". However exactly what it does, I do not know.

#3 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3373 posts
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:CaddX, DSC, Elk M1, Custom
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

Duress or ambush are typically how it's referred to within programming.

Depends on the panel what and how it's used. Some used to be a code incremented by 1 (1234, then the duress would be 1235) or repacing the last 2 digits with 99 or similar (hard coded within the panel). Most newer panels allow programming the duress code itself.

Usually they work by sending the code after the digits are entered or the complete disarm sequence (IE: Vista 20P's send after entering the code only).

#4 newalarm

newalarm

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Phone:VoIP via ISP

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

I assume that by the few responses, this is not a common use in residential? We live in city and though i doubt anything will ever happen, It seems like it would be a good thing to have just in case.

Edited by newalarm, 06 July 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#5 kevkmartin

kevkmartin

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

I use it. On the ELK M1, I set up duress codes for both my wife and me. You need to discuss EXPLICITLY with your alarm monitoring company what their response should be.

If either of us use the duress code to
Disarm the system, the monitoring company gets the duress alarm. We have instructed them to immediately dispatch police, and under NO circumstance to call us first.

They made us sign a special release form stating that they are not responsible for any damages that the police may cause if they are dispatched for a duress call and kick down the front door.

#6 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3373 posts
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:CaddX, DSC, Elk M1, Custom
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

Very common in residential, however I know of some large installation companies that used to charge extra to enable the reports from the panel on residential accounts.

Commercial accounts typically would be charged for a panic alarm system/services as there is typically a large waiver involved with a commercial system, as that is alluding to a safety factor or system...plenty of lawsuits involved that are noteworthy.

As far as a central station, it would be irresponsible and against every CS I've dealt with, normal SOP's to not verify a duress signal. Manual keypad panic, I could see a verification after dispatch, but duress and anything templated as HUA (hold up alarm) should not be verified....standard CS best practices.

#7 gizzmo

gizzmo

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:00 PM

Tip, never use a + 1 duress code. This was standard on older panels until it became obvious that this was the leading cause of false alarms. Make the duress or ambush code unique. If you are worried about remembering it, use a pattern like 2580, straight down the middle.

#8 RichardU

RichardU

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

According to the ELK documentation, when you set up a Duress user: "CAUTION: The communicator report code MUST also be programmed!"

NextAlarm tells me: "CID is the preferred reporting format and the CID reporting code for Duress is 21"

Now I'm stumped. I could list all the things I've tried, but does anyone know where the communicator report code must be programmed? Just having the Duress box checked in the user definition does not send a duress code.

Edited by RichardU, 11 February 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#9 chrisexv6

chrisexv6

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

According to the ELK documentation, when you set up a Duress user: "CAUTION: The communicator report code MUST also be programmed!"

NextAlarm tells me: "CID is the preferred reporting format and the CID reporting code for Duress is 21"

Now I'm stumped. I could list all the things I've tried, but does anyone know where the communicator report code must be programmed? Just having the Duress box checked in the user definition does not send a duress code.

In ElkRP2, under the Communicator section, click Area RCs.  Duress is in that list.

#10 RichardU

RichardU

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

In ElkRP2, under the Communicator section, click Area RCs.  Duress is in that list.

Perfect. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users