To wifi thermostat or not?

rb1980

My thermostat recently went out, and I was researching buying a new one and ran across some of these "wifi" connected thermostats. I currently don't have any home automation in place, but have been considering it and thought this might be a good opportunity/excuse to start a new hobby/obsession.
Then it occurred to me that these "wifi" thermostats probably are probably stand alone and can't be integrated into any HA system. So i'm guessing I should avoid and get one that can. I haven't spent much time on these forums yet, and I imagine I could probably get some recommendations by trolling the forums, but i'm in a bit of a hurry to replace so was hoping to get some quick ideas on an entry-level thermostat that I can use as the basis of a new HA system. I would like to have similar functionality as the wifi units like remote programming, graphing etc.

for best future interop, look for a z-wave thermostat. Or if you have a known automation system, you can install an HAI OmniStat or an RCS thermostat with a serial connection - you can integrate later; but z-wave has a lot of ways to control remotely now without much you have to buy.

If you really want wireless go Z-wave as Work2play stated. Personally I would recommend wired connections over wireless, and that is coming from an RF design engineer.

To be honest, I'm on the same page as Mr. Spock - in my last house, I installed the OmniStat when I was moving in, and 6 months later I connected it to the Elk - but, for someone who has no idea which way they're going, Z-Wave requires the smallest commitment of anything and can work with any system, including the Elk with some work. The Vera is an extremely attractive option for someone who isn't ready to drop $10K on automation and just wants to piece it together over time.

I'm running what Work has mentioned... a Z-Wave thermostat controlled by a Vera2 which is integrated with my Elk M1G. Honestly, I had no intention on buying the Vera, but I picked up a refurb for less than $100 and coupled it with a $30 thermostat. For the few months I've had it it's been running flawlessly - thermostat sets back when I arm away and before I come home I SSH into my house and set the desired temp.

HomeSeer has a WIFI thermostat plugin that works really well. It was developed around the Filtrete 3M-50 (aka CT-50), Radio Thermostat CT-30, Radio Thermostat CT-80 and the author is asking if anyone wants any new stats added.

Intermatic from Automated Outlet.
It has it's drawbacks, such as no local programming but that's not an issue for me.

I like the idea of going with a Z-Wave and Elk M1 combination as that allows you to monitor and control everything with one program, while having a WIFI thermostat that is not integrated with my M1 would require me to make two connections everytime I want to "check in" or make any programming changes. Can anyone think of a good reason to NOT go with a Z-Wave or other M1 compatible thermostat and choose WIFI if you already have an M1?

I use a hardwired RCS thermostat with my M1; used HAI OmniStat in previous house - they work - very reliably. I'd love to hear from others that use a Z-Wave thermostat with the Elk to testify to its reliability.

Back