10 replies to this topic

#1 taasss

taasss

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:15 AM

Hi All,

I've seen a number of threads on this but I'm having trouble piecing the solution together. Any feedback on the following would be appreciated:
  • Cat 5e cable from Omni to Genie Pro Model 1024
  • Single cable from Output 1 to ELK-912 Relay
  • Two cables from Genie Pro to the ELK-912 Relay (in serial with existing push button control)
  • Configure Output 1 as General Purpose
  • Turn on for 2 seconds to trigger the door motor
Does that make sense?

Thanks

Ben

Edited by taasss, 23 July 2012 - 02:15 AM.

#2 dsiroky

dsiroky

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

I've got an HAI system, but think it would be similar.

I ran a two-wire cable (same type as I use for my window/door contact sensors) from my panel to my garage door opener (there's a relay contact on there for open/close) this was wired to a general purpose relay board on the omni, and a second cable to the wall in the garage (I wired this as a zone sensor). Some automation logic detects the auxiliary zone closure (wall button press), and triggers the garage door to open/close.

I wrote an HAI program so when you push the button, the omni opens/closes the garage door (yes, I probably could have hard wired from the garage door opener direct to the open/close button - but silly me forgot to run that wire, so I repurposed a spare as I didn't want to tear up drywall).

I also wired an external keypad to the outside of the house. The HAI keypad shows a red light when the alarm system is armed, and green when it's not. You can type in the code, and the automation logic in the HAI opens the garage door when it receives the correct code.This can be a separate code to what's used to arm/disarm the alarm. The keypad required a 4-wire security cable - but you could have just as easily used Cat6. The HAI/Omni reads the data from the keypad via serial.

In theory I could open the garage door remotely, but haven't looked at that yet.... don't have all my cat6 cabling terminated yet.

#3 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4159 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

I also wired an external keypad to the outside of the house. The HAI keypad shows a red light when the alarm system is armed, and green when it's not.

So you have a light that someone outside your house can see and know if your house is armed or not? :blink:

#4 dsiroky

dsiroky

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

Will be fixing that with a snip when I finish wiring up the garage :)

#5 joe morris

joe morris

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Custom
  • Tech:UPB, Custom
  • Audio:Nuvo
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

So you have a light that someone outside your house can see and know if your house is armed or not? :blink:

The keypad does have a red/green led indicating the security status. I do not believe, unless someone is very familiar with an HAI system they will realize what the led means. It looks like a power led. The keypad itself looks extremely nice as compared to the standard garage opener keypads. Also, you can program it do most any function with the controller. For example, I can open any of my 3 garage doors via the keypad. I could also, with programming, turn on different lights, set/reset the alarm, etc. There really is no end to the combination of codes and associated actions.

Joe

#6 joe morris

joe morris

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

In theory I could open the garage door remotely, but haven't looked at that yet.... don't have all my cat6 cabling terminated yet.

Once you have it wired you can use Haiku. I am able to not only see my cameras from anywhere in the world but I can also open/close all of my garage doors.

Joe

#7 joe morris

joe morris

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Also, FWIW, one of the security installers on this site (MileHighAutomation) has a magnetic sensor contraption built specifically for garage doors. I use these to tell the Omni if the doors are open or not. They work great.

Joe

#8 serky

serky

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I used a UPB relay control. I avoided running cable to my openers and using a relay board. It works great combined with a garage door contact.

#9 joe morris

joe morris

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

I used a UPB relay control. I avoided running cable to my openers and using a relay board. It works great combined with a garage door contact.

Cool. Have you found any that are reasonable priced?

Joe

#10 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4159 posts
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

FYI, as far as garage door contacts go, I really like these. They install very easily and work well. You can mount anywhere on the track so they're up out of the way, or down low near the photo-eyes.

Depending on when your house was wired, nowadays it seems like around here they always use Cat5 for anything LV, including the wires for the buttons and the photo eyes - so there tend to be extra pairs down by the photo eyes. This makes it easier because it just means getting one wire to the opener head to access both the contact and the trigger. For 2 doors, a single Cat5 can run across the ceiling to pick up both openers.

#11 serky

serky

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Cool. Have you found any that are reasonable priced?

Joe

That is the issue, they are not cheap but the time it would have taken to attempt wire runs, well worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users