• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Flow

Flow

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Hi all,

First, let me introduce myself. I am a French man, 27 years, and I am a computer engineer. For some years I'm interesting "Home Automation", called "Domoctique" in French, and one week since I'm trying to find something that will give me everything I need to know about it. But I can tell you it is very difficult to find something that is complete. Here is the reason for my topic.
Does anyone know where I can find a document or a website, book, ebook .... anything, that contain how it really works, as all protocols, these are the best practices to follow to start with Home Automation and so on?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Sincerely,

Flow

#2 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 3983 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Elve, Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

Welcome to the forum Flow. The forum is very informative with much information related to home automation. The folks are helpful and friendly here.

I started with some home automation back in 1978 automating the lights in my house with X-10. To this day it is still an enjoyable hobby for me.

Hang around and you will find many examples of different types of home automation. Today you can do just about anything with automation.

#3 Dan (electron)

Dan (electron)

CocoonTech Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 10853 posts
  • Twitter:@CocoonTech
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:EventGhost, HomeSeer
  • Hardware:Elk M1, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB, Z-Wave, ZigBee
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:SageTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:OBi100/110

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:26 PM

hi Flow,

Welcome to CocoonTech!

There really is no good 'newbie' guide out there, because it's a very big and complex topic. That said, you can start a thread about what you would LIKE to do, and we can point you into the right direction, which should make it easier to research this.

#4 znelbok

znelbok

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hi FLow

One of theproblems you face is that there is no standard for Home Automation, hence looking for a book will not yeild any real results.

The best approach is to look at what you want to do and then research the options. Take it one step at a time. Example, lighting - find a system that is well supported in your region and learn about it. Understand its good points and its bad points and then compare it to other systems that may be available to you.

Do not forget that while you are looking at each of the systems you are interested in, keep in mind that you want them all to work together somehow. You will also need to research what "glue" you want to use. CQC, Homeseer.... There are DIY options out there and you will find info here on the forums about them.

KNX is pretty popular in Europe so that may be a good start for you with repects to a standard. It covers quite a few aspects of home automation.

Mick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users