Water Shutoff Valve

mikei-ma

I have a gravity fed hot water loop that I'd like to automate. I find when the loop is active, while hot water is everywhere in the house instantly, my boiler runs almost every 15 minutes to keep up the temp. I'll just close the loop when we are not actively within the home. I find it hard to stomach buying an elk wsv for $300+, so I began looking for alternatives. I found the E12 Series from KB valves, which is considerably cheaper. I only need the 1/2 (model E12-DKBV-8FP-12D) for the loop. Specification sheet for the unit is at the parent company site HERE.

Has anyone looked at these less expensive options? Can I use this model with the ELK M1? The only difference I see is that there is not a feedback loop for valve status, but for $200 I can live without it :)

I have a gravity fed hot water loop that I'd like to automate. I find when the loop is active, while hot water is everywhere in the house instantly, my boiler runs almost every 15 minutes to keep up the temp. I'll just close the loop when we are not actively within the home. I find it hard to stomach buying an elk wsv for $300+, so I began looking for alternatives. I found the E12 Series from KB valves, which is considerably cheaper. I only need the 1/2 (model E12-DKBV-8FP-12D) for the loop. Specification sheet for the unit is at the parent company site HERE.

Has anyone looked at these less expensive options? Can I use this model with the ELK M1? The only difference I see is that there is not a feedback loop for valve status, but for $200 I can live without it :)
I use this valve
http://cocoontech.com/forums/gallery/image/486-kds-water-valve/

excellent! It's the same valve! I didn't see the wiring harness on the company website as you described, I'm wondering if you have the part number for the valve you have, this way I can monitor the status of the valve definitively.

Bucko,

What's the approximate price on that valve?

I'm using the Watercop valve because it is 120VAC primary which was conveinient.
I have it running off of a UPS.
The wiring harness is a standard CAT 5 cable and RJ45 connector.

The wiring looks very similar to the valve you have.

Yes, they are latching. They are SS ball valves that require power to turn the motor for either open or close. If you remove power in either position, it will stay in that position. They do make a capacitor based model that can close the valve in the event of power loss, but I've not seen those models in use.

I use 6 of them on my brew system. At the end of a brew day, I open all valves and then unplug the system so the valves stay open.

Brew_stand_0.jpg

I might want one of those too!
Except I'm not sure what it is - except that it involves alcohol of some sort - ?!!

LOL. It's a home brewery... uh, I should say, automated home brewery.

In the upper left corner you can see part of the touch screen control for monitoring and controlling processes.

Yes, home automation extends into home brewing. :D

Yes, they are latching. They are SS ball valves that require power to turn the motor for either open or close. If you remove power in either position, it will stay in that position. They do make a capacitor based model that can close the valve in the event of power loss, but I've not seen those models in use.

I use 6 of them on my brew system. At the end of a brew day, I open all valves and then unplug the system so the valves stay open.

Brew_stand_0.jpg
You win - automating your home brew system tops anything I've seen! :pray: :pray: :pray:

Bucko,

What's the approximate price on that valve?

I'm using the Watercop valve because it is 120VAC primary which was conveinient.
I have it running off of a UPS.
The wiring harness is a standard CAT 5 cable and RJ45 connector.

The wiring looks very similar to the valve you have.
I use the KLD20S and I paid $53 direct from the factory. I live in China, so prices in the US may be different.

I did make a nice tweak to this valve. If you open the cover, you can see that there are 2 micro switches mounted on the PCB. I ran 2 wires off the un-used one, to connect to a zone on my panel. Now I have actual confirmation of the valve state (open/closed). Very easy to do.

I use the KLD20S and I paid $53 direct from the factory. I live in China, so prices in the US may be different.
I did make a nice tweak to this valve. If you open the cover, you can see that there are 2 micro switches mounted on the PCB. I ran 2 wires off the un-used one, to connect to a zone on my panel. Now I have actual confirmation of the valve state (open/closed). Very easy to do.

Nice mod!
The watercop valve has actual state as outputs too.
Of course it's over $100.

Bucko

Is the KLD20S series with 1" piping suitable for whole house water shutoff? I'm wondering about flow restriction and long term reliability. It would really suck to have the shut off device that is supposed to protect your house become the leak.

Back