• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnGould

JohnGould

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

I'm building a new house with a 3-car garage. During the electric rough-in a 6-wire cable was to be run to the garage door alarm contacts, but unfortunately only a 4-wire was run. Is it possible to still connect 3 NC contacts with the 4 wires, using a remote common ground at the doors, given that all contacts have a common ground when they return to my Elk M1 Gold board? I understand that the contacts would not be able to be supervised. Is it possible to do this? Anyone have any experience with doing this?
Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 jpmargis

jpmargis

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Harmony
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Video:Windows Media Center
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:08 PM

No problem. One wire for each door to a zone terminal and pick any NEG terminal for the common wire. BTW, you can still include an EOLR for each contact if you desire.

#3 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4407 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:50 AM

:hesaid:

The common of all the zones is really common across the board - so nothing to it at all. You can run then with an EOL at the sensor, and when it gets to where you hook each individual contact to the wire that was run, just hook them all to the same negative. At the panel end, wire 3 of them to the zone side (non-common terminal), and just use any of the negatives. All negatives on the panel are the same so it could even be a power source negative.

#4 JohnGould

JohnGould

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thanks very much to both of you. It is great to know that I can also use an EOLR for the sensors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users