11 replies to this topic

#1 Goldfix

Goldfix

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:48 PM

My plan was to connect my sirens to the output 2 connection and the indoor speaker on my main floor. If I connect the siren to the output 2 I get a trouble message on my keypad. If I connect it to output 1 and add a resistor in output 2 everything looks fine.

I changed the output 2 option in the keypad to volts but notthing changed. My question is: can I use output 2 and output 1 as mentioned above as my initial plan? I wanted to try connecting output 2 and keeping the resistor in place as if ouook 2 was not used but not sure if that can damage something so here I am.

Any suggestions

#2 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4499 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

The M1 is designed for Out 1 to be your interior speakers, and out 2 for your exterior. Voices are played over Out 1, not Out 2.

Output 2 has a supervisory circuit - it needs to sense some resistance to know that someone hasn't cut your siren. Sometimes you won't have enough with just a siren or speaker and need to include a resistor across the terminals in parallel.

#3 KenN

KenN

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Hardware:Elk M1, ISY-99
  • Tech:INSTEON, Z-Wave

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

My first question would be what type of siren and what is their nominal resistance? If multiple sirens, how connected (series/parallel?). Manual says must be wired to avoid dropping below 4 ohms total.

#4 Pitbull50

Pitbull50

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

The previous owner had 2 sirens. I have 2 set of wires coming to my panel area. The siren is a 12 volts 20 watts max. So basecally if I connect the wires of my siren in Output 2 as indicated in the manuel and add a resistor in the terminals of output this should correct my problem. Did I understand correctly.

I was thinking of doing that originally but wasnt sure if it would damage something.

#5 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4499 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

My first question would be what type of siren and what is their nominal resistance? If multiple sirens, how connected (series/parallel?). Manual says must be wired to avoid dropping below 4 ohms total.

This is for speakers, not sirens. With Sirens you can parallel multiple sirens but must watch our for total current draw.

As for Pitbull50/Goldfix - are you now working under two different names?

#6 Goldfix

Goldfix

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

I know I annoyed several people here with my inexperienced questions and knowledge. However, I did take the strong advise I was given. I did take a step back, took things slower worked on my system for many hours trying to understand how thing work in order to connect everything right. I installed all my zones, CO detectors, Motion Detectors etc. I am puzzeled with the output 2 piece. I also noticed other post here about this and glad to see im not the only one having issues with the section. I know I'm inexperienced but I feel I learned something here in the past week but this one I truly need help.

#7 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4499 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:40 AM

Don't worry about that - as long as you're doing what you can, I know I'm happy to help when you need a little help. I just have trouble spending time answering questions if it seems like someone isn't willing to put in their share.

Before installing my first Elk, I printed and bound the manual and read it a few times until everything started to make sense... Then I hooked it up on the coffee table just to get used to the wiring and programming - then quickly got bored and threw the system in... But I'm glad I familiarized myself with it first. Then, I too had to post here about Output 2 - my siren was continuously putting out a loud tone driven by the supervisory voltage. I had to run a resistor inline until I went to a speaker instead.

#8 Goldfix

Goldfix

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

Don't worry about that - as long as you're doing what you can, I know I'm happy to help when you need a little help. I just have trouble spending time answering questions if it seems like someone isn't willing to put in their share.

Before installing my first Elk, I printed and bound the manual and read it a few times until everything started to make sense... Then I hooked it up on the coffee table just to get used to the wiring and programming - then quickly got bored and threw the system in... But I'm glad I familiarized myself with it first. Then, I too had to post here about Output 2 - my siren was continuously putting out a loud tone driven by the supervisory voltage. I had to run a resistor inline until I went to a speaker instead.

When you say you went to a speaker instead, you mean you are using output 1 or your using a speaker in output 2? Wow I really would like to solve this one at least I can start arming my system

#9 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4499 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

I'm going off memory so I may get these backwards... but Output 1 is meant for indoor speakers. That is either a central speaker or two, or my general preference, Elk SP12's spread throughout the house - behind the keypads and anywhere else you need coverage.

Output 2 is for the exterior speaker/siren. I used a siren at first because in my retrofit that's what was installed; but after learning more about the M1, I chose to use a Speaker instead. The only difference is that a Siren is a speaker with a Siren Driver inline; a speaker uses the M1's Siren Driver. It seems stupid, but if you use a speaker, the Siren is synchronized indoors and out. Of course, indoors, it cuts out to voice when appropriate. Whichever you use you must select the correct output type in the Globals.

#10 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3413 posts
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:CaddX, DSC, Elk M1, Custom
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:23 PM

Been a while since I've dealt with an outside siren vs. speaker, but I rememberthe bell hold-off/delay didn't work properly with the driver/voltage option selection....any alarm caused the voltage to fire no matter what the settings.

#11 video321

video321

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1, Mi Casa Verde Vera
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • CCTV:analog, dvr
  • Phone:Ooma

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Been a while since I've dealt with an outside siren vs. speaker, but I rememberthe bell hold-off/delay didn't work properly with the driver/voltage option selection....any alarm caused the voltage to fire no matter what the settings.

Are you referring to an alarm not following the output 2 delay setting? I was told by Brad that delay would only work with a burglar alarm.

#12 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3413 posts
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:CaddX, DSC, Elk M1, Custom
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

From what I remember, burglar following the delay hold-off, or "good neighbor" feature not working as it does when using speakers. All zone def's that I tried on that particular system acted the same.

Wasn't a key selling point on that takeover, so while irritating to me, the end user didn't know the difference from their old Z1100.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users