suggestions for enhancements to webcontrol (not 32)

bbsux

I have have a few suggestions for webcontrol.

1: make it so you can not only send e-mail's to more than one person, also make it so each e-mail could be different. (Maybe this could be handled in the PLC code to save memory? Or maybe have a version that has no x10 abilities to save memory, I know I will never use it.)

2: a break-out board. I dislike the fact that the inputs are on pins while everything else is on screw headers (hint for webcontrol32) - I'm having to make myself a breakout board now to get everything onto screw headers

Anybody have any others?

Thanks for your suggestion. We will put your suggestion into consideration. To store more email addresses will be helpful. We will need to check to see if code space allowing us to do so.

Have a break-out board for TTL and analog input would be nice, so that users can add operational amplifier for small analog signals, and TTL inputs on the terminals. We will look into possibility for that.

I'd like to see a usb port for plugging in a thumbdrive. The space on the drive could be used for data logging and extra space for internally hosted web pages. Perhaps a prerequisite to split the drive into two partitions, both fat32 for compatibility. Partition 1 could always be data logging space, partition 2 (if it existed on the drive that was plugged in) would host web pages/files... Perhaps a new command (ex. LOG filename, data1, data2 data3...) to append entries into the dataloging partition. For the webserver portion: URLs that specify the usb drive in the string would pull fro the USB stick instead of the internal storage.(ex http://WCB_address/usb/index.html would load the index.html file from the root of partition 2 (if it exists) on the USB drive.)

Edit: Actually, maybe just make it 1 partition for both data logging and web files - it would be nice to access the log file from the webserver....

Another option I'd like is broadcasting events over UDP (simpler than TCP I'd imagine). Rather than having to poll the WCB every xx seconds for updates, it'd be much better If from a central controller I could listen on UDP port xxx for events from a WCB. Perhaps a setup screen similar to the email screen where you enter rules that would generate a network broadcast when called - Each WCB would have a definable UDP port so environments with several WCBs could each broadcast on separate ports. A new command could fire off the pre-defined network events much the same way email does today.

BTW, I'd like these options on ALL of your WCB products. :)

Terry

Oh also, in regards to e-mails -- You should also see if it the status printout at the end that shows status of all the inputs and outputs could be turned on or off.

Terry and bbsux,

Thanks so much for your wonderful suggestions. Although not all of them can be implemented in the current Webcontrol8. It does help us in future development.

Please do keep you suggestions coming. We apprecaite them.

CAI Support

Some thoughts on future releases:

-Allow user changes to GUI. ie, change labels on inputs, outputs
-ability to turn on/off 1-wire polling
-Support for DHT series temp/humidity sensors. They are just a few bucks each and very reliable.
-exposure more TCP capability to send TCP/UDP messages vs just sending emails for alerting
-power using POE

Thanks for your suggestion.
1) There is an iphone/ipad app being developed by a third party, in that app, it allows user to rename the I/O inside app. Once they released app in next few days, iPhone and iPad users can rename each TTL input and output to whatever the name they like. I think the WebControl logger software probably also allow user to rename I/O. We also consider in the future to allow users to change name in the WebControl GUI. However, we want to first make sure limited code space being used for functions and features.
2) What is the reason for turn off 1-wire polling, is that inteference with some other functions? When there is no 1-wire device attached and configured, WebControl will not poll 1-wire bus.
3) We had looked DHT sensors, they are about $7 each or $12 for four. DS18B20 is about same if purchase in single qty. Honeywell humidity sensor is about $12 each. Although Dallas and Hoeywell sensor is little bit more expensive, they are more accurate and calibrated.
4) What kind of TCP capability and message format do you thinking? We want to support standard based protocol, if possible.
5) POE is a good suggestion. We have to think how to do that. Currently, WebControl only uses four of 8 wires on the NIC socket. Wire unused pins to the power input is possible. However, the POE standard version 1 only has 350mA current and version 2 has 600mA. Using simple regulator will not provide enough current during peak operation. If using one of these adapter, it could work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260910368030
With this adapter, rectified HVAC 24VAC can be used to power WebControl, too.

Have you guys looked into http://www.ifttt.com ?

making your firmware compatible with them would be perfect. You could set up recipes for them and them they can send you texts and e-mails, if your firmware can't handle it...

As an alternative to TCP or UDP, you could simply allow an http put or post. Again, a setup screen similar to email but instead of an email message entered into the screen, you couls enter a URL that would be called. For example - My HA package of choice is Indigo. It uses RESTfull URLs to provide and consume information. This string:
Code:
http://server:port/variables/KitchenTemp?_method=put&value=74
when entered into a web browser or used with wget at a command prompt with change the value of a variable named "KitchenTemp" to "74". I'm sure many other HA and industrial control systems have a similar capability even if a different format. Allowing a simple URL post would open up a lot of additional possibilities.

The main point with direct TCP/UDP or HTTP post/put is to allow an additional communication method from the WCB. Currently if I want info from the WCB I have to either poll it on X intervals which is not ideal as it adds unnecessary traffic on the network and load on the WCB for near-real-time polling requirements, or I have to configure a local smtp server to catch messages sent from the WCB and then process the email. Again, not an ideal solution. By enabling direct/broadcast TCD/UDP (if you're looking for a standard; probably Modbus for industrial or xap/xpl for residential) or allowing HTTP put/post (you can even ignore the response returned from the server if you want) would allow the WCB to notify external systems on a pseudo real-time basis.

Terry

Thanks for the suggestions. We do plan to support POST on the 32 bit board. On the 8 bit baord, we will try to add support for ifttt or get. but can not promise they can be added in, due to the code space is very limited on it. Email notification is different from the HTTP. We can send email out one byte at a time till we finish. However, HTTP require to have all the data send in one packet. The Microchip CPU has this limitation on code page and data bank. Right now TCP/UDP/HTTP are taking large portion of the available resources. Many times adding a new HTTP request could cause code won't fit. So we keep working on how to best fit into that space.

We will try, and wish us luck.

I do wish you would make a version that didn't have the X10 functionality in it. That would have to save some space. I know I will never use X10.

BTW -- I setup Ifttt.com to send me an sms when the webcontrol sends an email to an ifttt address. it seems to works perfect. The only problem is the i/o status is too long (although you can have it just sms you the subject of the e-mail)

Once again I wish there was a way we could do the following for each email (or @least #2 for all):
1) turn i/o status on/off
2) or be able to select which i/o's - var - ram - etc to display

Thanks for your suggestion. When fitting code in limited space, it is like fitting rocks into a box. When you have certain large rocks want to fit into it, you will have problem if any big rock getting any bigger. However, there are small rocks can still fit in between large rocks, and not help any even not filling those little rocks. X10 logic is one of those small rocks. Taking it out will not make space for TCP or HTTP logic.

We could consider adding configuration bit, so taht email have option not sending the I/O status. However, some I/O status is something not being able to see if you did not get in the email. For example, if you want to get an email when someone enter the doors. When door sensor trigger that email, you may have other door open.If you look the I/O status after received email notice, you may not be able to see how many other doors were open then.

How about user-upgradeable/changeable firmware. That way you could have a WCB 8 board as it is now, and then one with X10, email and other items replaced with TCP/UDP/HTTP pushed notifications. The user could change at their leisure which one they wanted.

You could also just create an Analog in/out and 1-Wire daughterboard for the Raspberry PI and then let the user code everything. :)

Thanks for listening to suggestions. Comments:

1) There is an iphone/ipad app being developed by a third party, in that app, it allows user to rename the I/O inside app. Once they released app in next few days, iPhone and iPad users can rename each TTL input and output to whatever the name they like. I think the WebControl logger software probably also allow user to rename I/O. We also consider in the future to allow users to change name in the WebControl GUI. However, we want to first make sure limited code space being used for functions and features.

That's cool - I also do something similar with openremote, and maybe the extra code space isn't worth it. But it would be nice and the GUI would be more user friendly.

2) What is the reason for turn off 1-wire polling, is that inteference with some other functions? When there is no 1-wire device attached and configured, WebControl will not poll 1-wire bus.

I suppose none then - given the above.

3) We had looked DHT sensors, they are about $7 each or $12 for four. DS18B20 is about same if purchase in single qty. Honeywell humidity sensor is about $12 each. Although Dallas and Hoeywell sensor is little bit more expensive, they are more accurate and calibrated.

OK - I have just had excellent luck with DHT sensors and you they are readily available on ebay. It's one main reason I use the arduino to gather humidity data - I have about 10 of them running so the price difference starts to matter.

4) What kind of TCP capability and message format do you thinking? We want to support standard based protocol, if possible.
5) POE is a good suggestion. We have to think how to do that. Currently, WebControl only uses four of 8 wires on the NIC socket. Wire unused pins to the power input is possible. However, the POE standard version 1 only has 350mA current and version 2 has 600mA. Using simple regulator will not provide enough current during peak operation. If using one of these adapter, it could work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260910368030
With this adapter, rectified HVAC 24VAC can be used to power WebControl, too.

I was thinking more along the lines of 802.3af POE, like I use for my network cameras. That is what you would get from a POE capable switch, and most likely to be used with this board if enabled. It's not critical but would make remote installation easier since one cable does it all. Of course you could hack something together with the unused pairs, but that is not something I'd recommend for a commercial product.

Cheers.

I do wish you would make a version that didn't have the X10 functionality in it. That would have to save some space. I know I will never use X10.

BTW -- I setup Ifttt.com to send me an sms when the webcontrol sends an email to an ifttt address. it seems to works perfect. The only problem is the i/o status is too long (although you can have it just sms you the subject of the e-mail)

Once again I wish there was a way we could do the following for each email (or @least #2 for all):
1) turn i/o status on/off
2) or be able to select which i/o's - var - ram - etc to display

If we provide option for turnning off the I/O status, we can allow you to decide starting which I/O not reporting all the way to the end. For example, right now, last report is TTL output. next up is humidity reading, next up is temp sensor, etc. So if user say start skip from item 3, then 3(AIPs) and below will not be reported. What do you think that?

Back