Photo
- - - - -

Tester recommendations: Glass break, smoke, CO.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 newalarm

newalarm

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Phone:VoIP via ISP

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

I was looking to get a glass break tester to upkeep my system. Can anyone recommend a brand/model that is reasonably priced?

Also, any recommendations on brands of smoke/CO spray testers. (I assume they are pretty much the same, but just in case....)

Thanks

#2 BraveSirRobbin

BraveSirRobbin

Cocoonut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7061 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Main Lobby
  • Hardware:CaddX, Elk M1, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-RF
  • Video:SageTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:OBi100/110, Ooma

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

Here is a cheap glass break testing method. Cough (a large down in the belly cough) into the sensor! B)

#3 newalarm

newalarm

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

:wacko: I was able to set it off by clapping really loudly next to mike... but it is not easy to set off.

#4 BraveSirRobbin

BraveSirRobbin

Cocoonut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7061 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Main Lobby
  • Hardware:CaddX, Elk M1, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-RF
  • Video:SageTV
  • Phone:OBi100/110, Ooma

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

You thought I was kidding, didn't you? ... ;)

Edited by BraveSirRobbin, 06 September 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#5 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3202 posts
  • Software:Custom
  • Hardware:CaddX, DSC, Elk M1, Custom
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4
  • Audio:Custom
  • Video:Custom

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

If a GBD falses (which is really what it is) from a cough or keys rattling, it tells me that the detection and rejection criteria isn't as stringent as other comparable models on the market. Could also be a huge overwhelming sound or location in such proximity of the mic and audio circuit on the detector. Wouldn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.

Usually, the manufacturer recommends the model used for testing purposes....for example, I use Visonic G-techs and they allow a Intellisense (formerly C+K, now Honeywell) as their tester.

#6 newalarm

newalarm

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Usually, the manufacturer recommends the model used for testing purposes....for example, I use Visonic G-techs and they allow a Intellisense (formerly C+K, now Honeywell) as their tester.

Does that not defeat the point? Like cheating? The sound of glass break is what it is. You should be able to use any glass tester to test a sensor...?

#7 ecborgoyn

ecborgoyn

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

Hey - maybe I now have a use for those old windows sashes that I have stored in the attic...... All is need now is a NIST traceable brick.... :unsure:

#8 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3202 posts
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, C-Bus, 1-Wire, RadioRA, RadioRA2, Crestron, AMX, Custom, CentraLite, Control4

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

Does that not defeat the point? Like cheating? The sound of glass break is what it is. You should be able to use any glass tester to test a sensor...?

Yes and no. You need to know a lot of criteria prior to being able to make a sweeping statement and know which tester will actually actuate the units that are installed.

For GBD's the better units pick up a couple of criteria. Some testers can't produce the actual audio events needed to cause an alarm condition. Better GBD's use "flex" and pattern/acoustic analysis. Glass, before it breaks, actually bends, which is the "flex" portion. Some detectors pick it up, others are strictly audio. Better GBD's have 2 separate detection circuits, flex and audio, in addition to signature analysis, to discriminate between a piece of framed glass or the pint glass you dropped on a tile floor or bag of broken glass you're shaking. Some require the initial hit (thud) then flex, then acoustic signature to provide an alarm. A belly cough, key shake or clapping hands can't replicate that.

Certain manufacturers have a signal that the tester sends out to "start" a test mode on the unit, enable LED's so each portion of the detector can be tested, flex and audio, otherwise just a general alarm would be the test, and the detector might not be accurately adjusted or too sensitive in one technology and not sensitive in another.

In my case, I have 2 acoustic testers, which can be set to "auto" to allow placement behind window coverings, to be triggered by the "thud" then provide audio or audio and flex. I also have an older spring loaded aluminum contraption to test piezo based units (on the glass) or inertia based units.

#9 video321

video321

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Hardware:Elk M1, Mi Casa Verde Vera
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • CCTV:analog, dvr
  • Phone:Ooma

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

I have Honeywell FG-1625RFM detectors along with the recommended Honeywell tester. The detectors works by sensing all (3) criteria which DEL mentioned. I need to put the sensors into test mode for the tester to work properly. If I don't, it becomes very hard to trigger them - even while using the tester to make the glass break sound. I have mine set on the lowest setting which will provide coverage from each window location, keeping the tester behind any curtains or blinds and using a rubber mallet to trigger the tester to make it's sound.

#10 newalarm

newalarm

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

Maybe I should restate my question. since I already invested in shatterpro 3 sensors, what tester would be best. I may buy other brand of GBs in future since shatterpro seems to have some issues based on some posts, and would like to avoid buying additional testers.

#11 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

I own 2 FG 701's. I think they're slightly better than the 5709-CW's in performance and trigger abilities.

#12 Teken

Teken

Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

The Honeywell FG 730's have worked very well for us in GB detection. The only better ones we have used are from Paradox which are the DG-457 & their latest wireless G550 which has 360' detection. Which offers true immunity to EMI / RFI, and full audio and infrasonic spectrum analysis.

Teken . . .

#13 DELInstallations

DELInstallations

Cocoonut

• Professionals
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3202 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

730's were a solid unit, however they required more time adjusting via trimpot that most installers didn't really put in, hence the later 15XX and 16XX units.

I've moved towards the Glasstechs, they almost never false, self adjust to the enviroment and continually self adjust. Also have anti-masking versions that work wonders to keep the worst enemies away...end users.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users