ZigBee experience

ano

I'm looking for any experience from people with ZigBee devices.

I now have running three ZigBee Kwikset locks connected to a ZIM connected to my Omni Pro II. The experience has been mostly positive with a few hiccups. First, the locks were quite expensive, even more expensive than the Z-Wave version of the locks, but a big advantage of ZigBee is that the lock firmware can be upgraded, even upgraded over the air.

The locks seem to respond instantly when told to lock or unlock, but when I manually lock or unlock a door, it seems like there is some delay before the Omni seems to know about it. In the Omni, I can perform an action based on when the lock is locked or unlocked, but again, its not instant by any means. That needs to be improved.

This is strange as well. As i said I have three ZigBee locks, but if I take the batteries out of two of them, the ZIM will report that they are locked or unlocked in sync with the lock that does have batteries. But when using PC Access, the Omni seems to correctly know about these locks.

On the home screen of the ZIM, that status of the three locks is summarized, but instead of reporting "locked" or "unlocked" it says "ON" or "OFF." Come on HAI, at least pretend that you put some effort into designing this thing. I'm not expecting Apple design standards here, but at least come up to Microsoft standards.

I just bought one of these Zigbee plug switches to see if they work.
http://www.simplehomenet.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZigBee_HA_Metering_Smart_Plug

They also make a Zigbee controller that can control two pool pumps, which would make it less than half the price of the HAI Zigbee products. These devices can even report back the electrical usage, but of course, HAI doesn't support that feature.

Anyone else using Zigbee? Its pretty cool, but it also feels like it still needs a bit of refinement.

Nothing to add here except that I echo your sentiments. Using the ZIM and locks works great, but it needs some polish.

This is a well known thing with the Kwikset locks... since they are battery powered they only wake up every once in a while to report status back.  When you manually operate the lock you have to wait for the timer to expire before it reports its new status.

Back