Premise Windows 8 RT Surface tablet and the automation browser

Motorola Premise

etc6849

So, does this new arm based version of windows still work with the same old x86 activex dll that the automation browser (AB) uses?

I tried to get the AB to work today on a Windows 8 RT Surface demo unit and it wouldn't work with the normal 32 bit x86 activex control, but then refused to run the exe's I downloaded to install the arm based activex dll for CE300 and CE.net?!? It appears that Windows 8 RT will only install apps that are in the windows store; not sure if this is part of the problem or not.

Anyone get this working?

hmmm...a good question. I was eager to buy a Windows 8 tablet, but wondered whether it c/would run Premise. Then I saw the ARM processor and wondered whether it would run the CE version. I am shocked to hear it wouldn't allow .exes to be run. Like 'em or hate 'em, one has to admit MS created millions of jobs by having a relatively open platform.
If I can't run Premise, then my decision s easy. Windows 7 forever on my server and 123's Minibrowser...on an iPAD2...

All ARM based Windows 8 tablets are running Windows RT and as you stated will only run apps from the Windows App Store. If you want to run EXEs or other ActiveX controls, you will need a Windows Pro tablet. I believe one of the primary reasons to cut the cord on older apps is to have a tablet less susceptible to viruses and malware.

David

Realize that automation apps weren't available early in the iPad's life. It is just a matter of time until there are HA apps for Windows RT, the market will be too big to ignore. If RT isn't flexible enough, just buy a (more powerful but more expensive) Windows 8 Pro tablet. Surface Pro is supposed to be released in early 2013 but Lenovo, HP, Asus, Dell, etc, etc will have plenty of Windows 8 RT and Windows 8 Pro tablets and UltraBooks available now or soon.

David

Thanks for confirming. I visited one of their holiday stores and I know I couldn't get it to work. Windows RT sounds like a poor business decision that will make a lot of folks angry when they figure out they can't install what they want and are limited to an app store in it's infancy. At least with windows ce I could install what I wanted.

I'm definitely not buying the Surface tablet now. They even left out media center, so really the tablet is of no use to me and I suspect millions of media center users will feel the same way too.

I think RT will find its place, but it'll take a while to evolve. Once people get used to using the "Metro" aspect of Windows 8 and more apps are designed, it'll all start to come together. It'll take a couple years though I suspect.

I don't disagree with your sentiments towards Windows RT except I think you are off on the timeframe. First, I think there will be those confused and disappointed that their "Windows" RT tablet won't run existing XYZ apps. However, by next Christmas, the Windows App Store will be fully stocked and I expect that will happen even sooner than that. The reality is Microsoft is paying more to developers than any other app store and it is a brand new fertile ground of new customers. The big apps on other platforms will get ported as well as opening the door for new apps. Remember that Windiws 8 RT has the FULL version of Office (Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, Word) included in the cost of the tablet, which to some will be a big deal. Also, the Windows 8 apps will run on the Windows 8 phone, Windows 8 tablet, and Windows 8 laptop/desktop; which no other platform can say. I'm concerned about the potential confusion RT will bring but other than that believe it will be successful sooner than later. I also feel RT isn't the correct solution for me, but it is meant to compete with the iPad, which is constrained as well. The only thing is that the iPad has had a several year start on the App Store, but it won't take that long for the Windows 8 App Store to be good enough.

David

Disclosure: I work for Microsoft as a consultant but these statements are my own.

I'm sure Windows Surface will sale very well and that developers will quickly flock to the app store (they do after all want to make money). I'm just annoyed about not being able to install my own apps due to M$'s greed. Personally, it's borderline false advertising and there's no way I'd have known about the limitation without trying it or reading online.

Also, there's the issue of ads built into the metro interface. What a deal, I get to pay money for an OS and get the joy of seeing ads in the built-in weather app. There should be an option to "opt out" of all advertising if I'm going to have to pay for the OS.

The power of windows... Pretty funny! Windows isn't exactly powerful if I can't install my own programs and are limited to web controls that microsoft deems worthy of allowing me to use.

Apple may be able to get away with this crap (for various reasons), but limiting what I can do with a windows tablet I pay $500-$800 for is nuts.

Attachments

• surface.jpg
    surface.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 5
Regarding your comment about greed, my understanding it was primarily to have a device that just works, which is what people often say about the iPad. If MS allowed anything to run on the tablet that competes with the iPad, it would be a failure as the tablet wouldn't be 100% reliable and would have potential virus issues. I do agree with the confusion and is my biggest concern/frustration with Windows RT.

Also, I pointed out MS Office coming with Windows RT but don't forget the full size USB port, which I'm reading will work with most devices (hard drives, printers, mice, keyboards, scanners, etc).

Ads? Really? That is annoying. I don't have an MS store near me so haven't had a chance to play with a Surface yet. I'll have to go into Best Buy and play with the Asus Windows RT tablet more to be aware of things like this. I played briefly but wasn't really trying it out since I am waiting to buy a Surface Pro.

I do hope some enterprising people make an HA app for Windows RT so I can deploy a couple around the house.

David

That may be their thinking, but the truth is it is simple to have an advanced option that would allow advanced users to install their own apps; this is present in Android.

The ad I saw was on the last page of the weather app. I was pretty turned off after that, so I didn't study the metro UI much more.

The reality is, Apple is so successful in large part because they protect users from themselves. Microsoft has over the past many years been light years ahead of ANY competitor in terms of putting out better software in terms of bugs and security issues. Further, MS fixes those issues, especially security issues, faster than any other company. I know I may sound like the Microsoft fan boy but that is fact and it is an order of magnitude greater than any competitor. So for Windows RT to take some of the wind out of Apple’s sales in terms of tablets, they will need to have a simple, yet robust product, which Windows RT seems to be. The product seems to be good for its intended market, we just have to wait for the app store to catch up.

If you look at Windows 7/7.5 Phone, I was rather annoyed by how controlled it was. I felt like I was using my old iPhone in terms of lack of tweakable options. Windows RT seems to be following in that mold so if you like to tweak, Android is likely the better platform for you. However, that is also why there will be Windows Pro tablets. Windows Pro tablets will use the full Windows 8 OS without any limitations. Obviously, this is the version that you and I are looking for if we are talking Windows. However, that will also be more expensive so if you want cheap and tweakable, Android may be the way to go.

I will have to look into the ads you mentioned. Definitely disappointing to hear of that being such an early impression. What did you think of the Surface in terms of hardware? Based on reviews, it seems to be really nice.

David

Two things...

1. If you don't want to be limited on which apps you load, get a tablet with Windows 8 - the full version, and not Windows 8 RT.

2. I could be totally wrong, but I thought the whole reason for RT was for support for ARM based processors for which Windows has never worked before. It's a different architecture and things don't just automatically work; hence the limited selection and the inability to just try to load any ol' windows app on it.

#2 Yes, Windows RT supports ARM processors, which it never had in the past. ARM processors are cheaper and lower power than laptop processors, which allows a smaller, cheaper tablet with longer battery life. Compatibility with ARM applications is the primary reason why they broke off the Windows Phone 7 series and reset with Windows Phone 8. Could they have allowed more functionality even with the switch to ARM? Maybe. However, my comparison to Windows Phone 7 is valid because even before the switch to Windows 8 RT with ARM support, MS had already started down the path of limited options for the sake of a robust phone experience.

David

Back