Mount switch inside structured media cabinet

bcrawfo2

Looking for ways others mount a small switch inside a structured media cabinet. I have an ON-Q cabinet, but the switches they sell are VERY expensive.
My switches have the little keyholes in the back, but I don't want to drill into the back of my media cabinet.
Other than the obvious velcro and double stick foam tape....what are my other options?

Thanks

Easiest would be to buy one of their universal plates and then mount as you see fit.

I was going about the same thing until I found an OEM vendor on Ebay selling Suttle switches on structured plates. I think I paid $15 shipped for an 8 port switch on a structured wiring plate already.

I utilize a small 24 port switch in my Leviton 42" cabinet. Works fine. Initially the first one was a cheap $50 10/100. Now its a cheap $100 Gb one.

I got the Leviton half-brackets - my switch(es) sit on top of these (my router is done the same way), and I use some of the all-wrap velcro to hold them in place to the plates

utilityroom10aug2012.jpg

It's very simple to drill into the back of the media cabinet, using sheet metal screws.

I use these 'self drilling', Phillips head; careful, they kick out a tiny thread of metal - you don't want it falling into an open port.

SD4.8x19ss.jpg

I don't know if you need to drill the OnQ to fit Channel Vision plates, but (on a tip from electron) I use the Channel Vision Large Product Holder to hold a Netgear GS116. Fits nicely.

Details:
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/18283-cisco-compact-24-port-gigabit-switch-experiences/page__st__15

It's very simple to drill into the back of the media cabinet, using sheet metal screws.

I use these 'self drilling', Phillips head; careful, they kick out a tiny thread of metal - you don't want it falling into an open port.

I would be very careful in suggesting this route, as most structured cans sit very close to the back side of the wall, not much to poke a couple of holes through 1/2" sheetrock.

I would be very careful in suggesting this route, as most structured cans sit very close to the back side of the wall, not much to poke a couple of holes through 1/2" sheetrock.

This is partly why I choose not to drill. I've got canisters of self-tapping screws for car audio work that I do. However, the back of my can has maybe 1/4" of space to the sheetrock... and I was worried that it wouldn't much to make a dimple on the other side of the wall once the screws started pressing though... Another reason was that I really don't plan to be in my current home for more than another 5 or so years... and I'm planning to take such hardware with me. I figured I'd leave the can alone (in terms of drilling) for the next owners ;)

I ran into the same issue as you. I didn't like any of the mounting plates and using the OnQ switches wasn't an option. I decided on really strong Velcro and it worked great.

Back