OMNI link II API polling frequency

btrvalik

If I write a piece of code using the Omnilink protocol / SDK, how often can I poll the system without causing a high system load / cause a problem?

Can I read the logfile every minute?

Should the session be left connected for an extended period of time, or should it be torn down and re-established or each query, or perhaps reestablished once per hour / day?

Look at the SDK example code to enable unsolicited notifications. With these enabled you don't need to poll as the controller will push events in real time as they occur. I am leaving the session connected 24/7. I remember reading somewhere there is a 30 session limit, but I can't find the documentation right now.

Thanks for the pointer, I did not see that when I first looked .. that is exactly what I want. Do you know if this is supported with the 3.0 ROM? I'll likely upgrade it at some point in the near future..

A couple of tips that might help

- There is a 20 session limit for TCP. Right now Omni-Link 2 only uses TCP so it is limited to 20 sessions. I would advise not using all 20 though. It's good practice to leave some open for reconnects, etc.

- You can leave a session open for as long as you'd like, but you need to send the controller a message at least once every 5 minutes, or it will close the socket

- Omni-Link 2 was added in 2.16 I believe, but you really should upgrade to a much newer firmware, since we have added more notifications since 3.0

- I wouldn't tear down the connection unless you are done with it, since there is some overhead in securing the session.

Aaron

Back