HAI Omni Pro II - Serial Connection Problems

Robilium

Hi guys -
I have what I think should be a straightforward problem but I cant seem to solve it for the life of me. I have PC Access on t eh latest version and a brand new HAI Omni Pro II. I can connect just fine over Ethernet and everything is configured and running well, integrated to Haiku etc. However, I cannot seem to connect over Serial to the panel via PC Access or HomeSeer etc. Below is my screen shot. Everything is defaults. setup:

Things I have tried (running on a 2 different Mac Book Pro):
MBP #1: Windows 2012 Server -> Keyspan USB Serial cable on COM3 -> HAI supplied Serial Cable -> HAI Panel Port 1
MBP #1: Windows 2012 Server -> Keyspan USB Serial cable on COM3 -> HAI supplied Serial Cable -> HAI Panel Port 2
MBP #2: Windows XP -> Keyspan USB Serial cable on COM3 -> HAI supplied Serial Cable -> HAI Panel Port 1

I get an error dialog "Unexpected Response!"

Serial cable and USB connector work just fine for other applications such as connecting to a Cisco Switch, etc.

I have a screen shot but it wont let me post a pic yet :(

I see in the debug data window:
Stat: cdsr x
TX: 5A 01 05 C1 93
Get Status 0 2e00
RX: 5A 01 05 C1 93
Get Status 0 2800

TX: 5A 01 11 C1 9C
Get Status 0 2e00
RX: 5A 01 11 C1 9C

Robilium,

Welcome to Cocoontech!

I utilize the HAI OPII panel serially connected to Homeseer running the HAI plugin. I've been using it close to 10 years now.

Relating to your serial connectivity from the HAI panel to Homeseer it's best to turn on the plugin's debug if you are having issues connecting to it.

That said it would be more beneficial to you regarding said use of the Homeseer plugin to look here for some granular information about the serial connectivity and related other users similiar experiences.

http://forums.homeseer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=652

Ok - I continue to be stumped.  I have also tried an old Thinkpad running windows XP and a direct serial cable.  Nothing seems to connect to my HAI panel, Home seer doesnt and PC ACCESS for Dealers 3 doesn't.  I either get no response back or I get "Unexpected Response!".  I have tried OmniLink, Pro Link, and various settings.  

I also just did a fresh install of windows XP on a thinkpad, installed .net, did a clean install of PC Access, set my master code in the software, and tried to connect.  No dice.  Any one have ideas on how to troubleshoot the serial connection on the panel?
Bill

Are your sure your wiring is correct?  One of the more common problems are that in some cases pins 2 and 3 (transmit/receive) need to be crossed on one end.  Your serial cable may or may not do this as well, depending on the type.

I have no idea what the HAI device requires, but I would first check to see that if a 'direct' connection is required, or crossed, and insure via a multimeter that you are using the correct cable.  Also, check to see if pin 5 is fed through as well (ground).

I see you are using the HAI supplied serial cable.  Here my HAI OPII uses an HAI cable to 9 Pin RS-232 to the Digi Edgeport for the Homeseer connection.  (10 years).  The HS HAI plugin encrypts the password in the INI file.  Putting the password in the INI file (with HS off) encrypts on the first run of the plugin.  I have never connected PCA to the OPII via a serial link.

It might just be the serial password encryption thing from the Homeseer HAI INI file.  It doesn't save the password in the web gui configuration.  Looking for my posts on Homeseer related to same issue I wrote: (not sure if it correct today).  The factory default code is 1111.

Note, the HAI panel will lock you out for 1 hour if you try 3 successive attemps with the wrong code. To get around that, unplug the panel from AC and battery and reconnect.

So I called HAI today an tried a few things.  

MBP #1:          Windows 2012 Server -> Keyspan USB Serial cable on COM3 -> HAI supplied Serial Cable -> HAI Panel Port 1
MBP #2:          Windows XP -> Keyspan USB Serial cable on COM3 -> HAI supplied Serial Cable -> HAI Panel Port 1
IBM THinkpad: Windows XP -> Keyspan USB Serial cable on COM1 -> HAI supplied Serial Cable -> HAI Panel Port 1,2,3,4

The IBM is the simplest setup.  I tried the standard cable from HAI as well also trying a null cable which switches the pins.  I also have a VRC0P installed at port 3 and I switched back to Omni Link and tried that port and still no connection.  

When I connect via serial I see the Receive LED blink and then the Receive and Send Lights Blink and then I get the error in the connection.  Any ideas?

Same issue here.  New panel (reset eeprom) fresh XP install, update PC access.  Board won't reply.

Any luck on finding a fix.

I also can not connect to HAI OPII serial.  I have always connected through network so normally not a problem but I now have a need to connect serially.  I did all the usual; Code 1 in PC Access = Master Code in controller,  set port on controller to Omnilink, , tried to power down board, etc.      I tried connections using  different computers, different ports and different communication settings (baud rates, etc).  I keep receiving message in PC Access -   "COM STATUS: NO REPLY(1)"

I am using 36A05-1 (from PIM) versus  36A05-4 Serial Connectivity Adapter Kit  , could this make difference?

36A05-1 is the correct cable to use for communication with PC. Have you uploaded the new setup that sets Port on HAI to Omnilink? Try 9600 baud on both HAI and the PC.

Thanks for verifying I am using correct serial cable for PC to OPII (36A05-1) .   And yes I have tried setting all 5 ports (1-5) to Omnilink and wrote to controller before i tried to connect.  I have set both PC and board at 9600 baud,  though also tried other settings down to 1200 baud with no difference.  keep getting  COM STATUS: NO REPLY(1).    
I would greatly appreciate any other thoughts.  Thanks! 

What version of PC access and firmware do you have? Also, try to send a command from PC access even when it says no reply, I saw this message sometimes with earlier versions even though it was actually connected

Also, check the comport on your computer, make sure it is working and in PC access Options make sure the port number matches the one you connect the cable to. Sometimes when using USB-to-serial cables it is not clear which port the OS assigns to that connection.

Yes thanks .  I confirmed port settings in Windows Device Manager to ensure COM# and port settings.  Indeed when I inadvertent set to wrong com port I get a different error message.    I also tried a different serial cable (short serial cable omni-notifier board came with) to confirm it is not a bad cable.  same result.   any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  thanks again.

Well, this may be a bit off, but what do you have displaying in PC access under Serial Address? Does it match the value in the board? The default setting for this should be zero, but you may have it different somehow?

Back