How to see visitors at the front door?

jmed999

Our house has a mostly flosted glass front door that is impossible to see though.  When someone approaches the door and rings the bell it is also impossible to see them via any window in the house.  We have to just cross our fingers and open the door.

I'm looking for ideas on how to see the person on the other side of my front door.  I'm not sure a peep hole through glass would work and they likely could see a silhouette of me or my wife from the other side...not sure I would liekthat either.

Any ideas or suggestions? 

Thanks!

The obvious answer here is a camera.  Not sure what other options you have without replacing the door.

Yeah I think a camera is obvious here but looking for a more detailed suggestion. Ie. Type of camera, location, etc. Thanks guys!

My front door area is so narrow that I literally don't have enough room to do a camera on either side of the door. I will be placing one above my front door shortly (which is easier to get the wire there too). Unfortunately, due to the height, I may not be able to see the face of the person at the door very well... That said, I don't have too many people visit my home anyway, so most of the time I would usually be able to recognize who that person is anyway.

The glass is probably secure glass or safety... if you drill it, it will shatter (always a surprise the first time you make that mistake) :eek:

Can you provide a picture or a sketch to get a better idea? We have similar issue except the glass is 2x2 and has mirror finish that makes it impossible to see when the light is on inside. It is unnerving to know that people can see you but not opposite.

drvnbysound said:
My front door area is so narrow that I literally don't have enough room to do a camera on either side of the door. I will be placing one above my front door shortly (which is easier to get the wire there too). Unfortunately, due to the height, I may not be able to see the face of the person at the door very well... That said, I don't have too many people visit my home anyway, so most of the time I would usually be able to recognize who that person is anyway.
I have a simular problem.  My front door is a 9 ft door so mounting a camera above it would not give me a clear picture.  I tried one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/SVAT-VIS300-7M2-Intercom-Monitor-Security/dp/B002TMHF5U/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1359140383&sr=8-10&keywords=door+camera

but I knew as soon as I opened the box it wouldn't work.  It's too big and bulky for my taste.

What about the door frame? No way you can mount a tiny dome cam? A picture of the door environment would probably help.

Get a video intercom or mount a video camera on the inside of a window jam pointed at the front porch. I have my system set up to sent me a picture message when the doorbell is pressed. Saves me from having to walk down a flight of stairs to open the front door if I don't recognize them.

elvisimprsntr said:
Get a video intercom or mount a video camera on the inside of a window jam pointed at the front porch. I have my system set up to sent me a picture message when the doorbell is pressed. Saves me from having to walk down a flight of stairs to open the front door if I don't recognize them.
What if they knock instead?

I just checked...none of my sensors have fast loop response checked. Also, the motions are not set as interior followers.

Yeah, I've thought about the door bell replacement too, but again my front door area is so narrow the builders actually mounted the doorbell on one of the side walls... if I put a camera there I'd end up seeing the side or side/rear of someone at the door. I'll have to post a picture later.

Back