Premise Garage Door Opener suggestions

Motorola Premise

w84no1

I have to buy 2 openers for  my 2 car garage and I want to be able to add them to my Premise setup.  I have seen some internet connected ones, but can't I just use a relay connected to the keypad?

Right now, I only have IP based devices.  How would I go about setting up the relay?  Use an ethernet based relay, usb relay, or rs232 relay?  Any suggestions on a cheap, reliable relay?

Thanks in advance!

It really depends on your existing infrastructure and how it interfaces with Premise.  What do you have/what are you controlling currently?

Right now I have a clean slate, a new house that is being built. I just want to be able to connect to premise. I will look into the gc-100.

So I could open and close the door using the gc-100 and use a Zwave door sensor to tell whether the door is open or closed? Does that sound right or do I need to do something different?

I really think you need to think more globally if you are starting from a clean slate.  For instance, are you putting in any type of security system?  Do you plan on running wiring to various items suggested in our wiring guide?

Once you decide on a core hardware controller (that should interface well with Premise as that will be your core software interface it seems) and how you plan on interacting with it (keypads, ipods, touchscreens, switches, etc...) THEN decide on these type of details as again, there are a lot of ways to go about this.

For instance, you CAN indeed use a zwave door sensor to detect if the garage is open or closed and most likely (depending on the type of opener you get) interface an external contact closure to the push button controls, or even interface a remote to a relay output (per one of my How-To's here); but, it would be a waste if you plan on say installing an Elk M1 Gold as your security system (as you can use that system to monitor and control your GDO).

Also, btw, you stated initially

Right now, I only have IP based devices.
This isn't starting out "with a clean slate" IMO and, the only reason I mentioned that is it could influence future advice that you get here as people might steer you away from other alternatives.

What I meant by clean slate is there are no wires and no controllers yet.  I have a camera that is IP based and I control Windows media center over IP.

Since I have some experience with z-wave, I was leaning toward the VRC0P, but the reason I chose premise was, that it ties together all the different systems into a really nice automation package. (And I helped with getting mini browser to use JQuery Mobile :D )

I am a programmer/network guy, so I lean toward IP based stuff, but I am game for anything.

Well, again a lot of ways to go about this.  IF you just want in IP device for JUST the GDO, perhaps throw something like THIS in the garage and run a network cable to it (will also need a wall wart for powering it)?  It can detect an input from a good garage door magnetic contact and also has a relay output, all controlled via an IP device.

Not sure your stance on using UPB (or even if Premise supports UBP), but I used one SA UMI 32 I/O module (UPB) for both my garage doors (it has two separate channels). It's been very reliable.

swamiller said:
Not sure your stance on using UPB (or even if Premise supports UBP), but I used one SA UMI 32 I/O module (UPB) for both my garage doors (it has two separate channels). It's been very reliable.

If it will work with Premise I am willing to consider anything.

The CAI webcontrol board can work as well.  You need the board which then controls a solid state relay which controls the door.  This would be about $50 for the board and the relays and could control up to 8 things.It is not wifi, so you need either a wifi bridge or you need to run ethernet wire to the device.  I use the netgeer wifi bridges that are $25 on ebay for a couple of these boards and they do the trick perfectly.

The board accepts "GET" commands so if Premise can do that, then it will work.

I use an Elk M1G along with an ELK-M1RB relay board (has 8 contacts) for doing this.  My garage door opener had a wall-mounted hardwired control pad.  I just fished a line from it to the M1G panel and connected the wires in parallel with the existing switch.  Then, I set the M1G relay contact to go open whenever it is closed using rules in the ElkRP software.  Of course, you must check continuity with a volt meter while depressing the switch.  If the wall switch's circuit is not simple (mine was old so it was), you may need to solder the wire onto the correct points of the PCB in order to pull the switch to ground, simulating a user press.

You'll find the M1G module for Premise is very robust.  Anything that the Elk RS232 protocol allows is implemented in Premise.  It will cost more initially than just a pure IP based solution, but it will pay for itself later if you want motion detectors to track occupancy, door sensors to trigger door left open reminders, etc. 

Z-wave motion and door/window sensors cost too much compared to their wired counterpart.  The other drawback is they require batteries and must be in wake mode (or whatever it's called) to be polled by the VRC0P.  Markh added the code for this into the Premise VRC0P module though, but I don't think he added support for security sensors that use encryption.  Although I haven't used any wireless solution except the old X10 sensors, I tend to think a wired solution will be much more responsive and reliable.  The M1G has about a 50-100ms response time.

To give you an idea of cost: a wired door sensor is $.9-$1.10 and hard wired motion sensors are as cheap as $7.  The Elk relay board I bought was very reasonable too compared to an IP based solution that had 8 contacts, but this assumes you can find a distributor willing to provide you with discounted pricing (PM if you want advice on this).

Basically, the Elk M1G is IP based after you add the Elk M1EXP serial to ethernet interface, so you still get your wish ;)  You could also use a network based serial port server such as the Lantronix WiBox and connect to the M1G's onboard RS232 port (or to anything's RS232 port).  The WiBox is very nice if you find an actual auction on ebay (not the buy it now stuff), I bought a four of them when they were cheap (far far less than the $250-$300 street price).

Whatever your approach, you want to ensure the device you use has contacts that can momentarily close, and that you can adjust the time for the closed state.  300-500 ms timing for the closed state should emulate a user press very well I think, but this may take experimenting on whatever garage door you use.  You can also solder onto a spare garage door wireless opener if you want and not fish any wires.

Lou Apo said:
The CAI webcontrol board can work as well.  You need the board which then controls a solid state relay which controls the door.  This would be about $50 for the board and the relays and could control up to 8 things.It is not wifi, so you need either a wifi bridge or you need to run ethernet wire to the device.  I use the netgeer wifi bridges that are $25 on ebay for a couple of these boards and they do the trick perfectly.

The board accepts "GET" commands so if Premise can do that, then it will work.

I don't know what I was thinking.  You don't need to put the relay boards in physical contact with the garage door openers so you don't need to worry about internet to the garage door opener.  Just use a wireless garage door opener and solder up the buttons to the relay.  Then you can put your webcontrol board and relays in a more internet convenient location.

I also have my garage doors controlled by my Elk and it works great.  However, I am not sure you want to spend all that time and money to change out your alarm system just to control your garage door.

I think the OP is building a new house.  If he's already chosen the alarm system, disregard the Elk suggestion.  DSC and HAI should be able to do something similar, but I haven't used them before.

etc6849 said:
I think the OP is building a new house.  If he's already chosen the alarm system, disregard the Elk suggestion.  DSC and HAI should be able to do something similar, but I haven't used them yet.

You are right.  Certainly if the walls are still open, pull a cat5 or some alarm wire to the garage door openers.  Run those wires to where you plan on having your centralized control stuff/alarm stuff/etc.  With wires, the world opens up into lots of relatively simple options.  Anything with a relay that premise can control is what you need.  Perhaps zwave has a relay module?  I don't see any security system listed in your ID.

Right now the OP has a 'clean slate' which means the possibilities are endless (which is why I first suggested choosing an overall system first, then getting into the fiduciary details such as this  ;) ).

Back