Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 Cable Modem DOCSIS 3.0

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Last year, Time Warner decided to start charging a fee for leasing the cable modem.  Ever since, I have been looking for a really good deal on a cable modem, and it looks like there finally is a really good deal on a really good modem: Motorola SurfBoard SB6141

If you offer $66 instead of going the Buy-It-Now route, your  bid will be accepted instantly, and free shipping.

If you are a Time Warner customer, I highly recommend you jump on this deal.  Modem has great reviews, and goes for $89 on Amazon.

Thanks, Dan. My offer of $66 was declined, so I upped it to $68 and it was accepted with free shipping.

I have a 6121 that will go in eBay now.

Thanks,
Kevin

Dan do you have D3 there where you are at? 

Here I still have a Surfboard(s) 5101 and at $65 / month for just internet from Comcast; which personally is a bit high for just D2.   BTW I did a $67 buy it now and it was accepted.

I do see up to 25mb on my speed testing with current 5101 at D2.

2568419203.png

Pretty sure I'm in a DOCSIS 3.0 area, but have an extremely old modem (D2 at best).

I'm currently using a Motorola 6121 with Comcast Ultra Internet. Here's a speed test from a few minutes ago:

I pay 62.72 with basic cable with tax.

Kevin

Hi, Pete.

I've had this rate for at least 4 years. The only increase in that time was tax when I added basic cable. They gave me free cable about two or three years ago for the same $59.95 rate. I didn't really need the cable since I have DirecTV and OTA, but for < $3 a month, it was worth it for backup.

Here's a copy of page two of this month's bill if that helps. Probably not the same office since you're in Sarasota and I'm in Charlotte County.

Kevin

Attachments

• Comcast Pg 2 2013-02.pdf
    142.5 KB · Views: 10
Thank-you Kevin.

Think in FL before switching to DTV and FIOS I had Jones Cable.  That said I looked at my invoice here.  (it is less than $80 though)

I did switch from the old pots / DSL Verizon line to the FIOS telco line (from the fiber).  I do think though that the copper is still there.

I have DTV here for TV and Comcast for Internet.  Yeah and invoice is similiar to yours with no details though; interesting.

I'll have to look but just a few years back it was about $35; but need to check though.

The Verizon bill shows what happened after I asked them to return it to the state before they changed it.

Between customer service calls checked TV and it was in the "off" mode with a message stating that I needed to subcribe; finally it appeared to work with last customer call a la carting the service and stating that they couldn't return me back to where I was after they started this debacle.  The last call that included accounting, customer service and "retention" was a joke; best described as a "shell" game and would make a good spot for a comedy television show.

I did bridge the network connection to my own firewall as their's was more of a graphical interface with no meat to it and difficult to navigate.  I also have it locked down (think they are PO'd though cuz they cannot get into my FIOS box unless they have some sort of back door to it).

The Direct TV box is still on and sitting next to the Verizon FIOS box.  Direct TV did offer me a free year of television as a "retention" thing a few years back.

Attachments

• pic-1.jpg
    pic-1.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 37
  • pic-2.jpg
    pic-2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 40
Hi, Pete.

You're definitely overpaying for Performance service with Comcast. I'd give them a call and see what deals they have.

Good luck,
Kevin

Thanks Kevin, yeah was going to call them when I switched to the new modem. 

Both Verizon and AT&T offer their services here in town (midwest) and it would be nice if they were in our subdivision.

Funny here in the MW; when I first moved in and didn't have internet initially I had to utilize a modem on my POTs line.  AT&T charged me a data rate for the modem use which was about twice as much as the regular monthly invoice.  I switched my POTs line to MCI/Sprint (which is no longer) and am being serviced by some company in Texas right now.  Good customer service although I have never heard of them before.

Wow; just noticed a mandatory "Regional Sports Network Fee" on my Verizon invoice.

pete_c said:
Thank-you Kevin.

Think in FL before switching to DTV and FIOS I had Jones Cable.  That said I looked at my invoice here.  (it is less than $80 though)

I did switch from the old pots / DSL Verizon line to the FIOS telco line (from the fiber).  I do think though that the copper is still there.

I have DTV here for TV and Comcast for Internet.  Yeah and invoice is similiar to yours with no details though; interesting.

I'll have to look but just a few years back it was about $35; but need to check though.

The Verizon bill shows what happened after I asked them to return it to the state before they changed it.

Between customer service calls checked TV and it was in the "off" mode with a message stating that I needed to subcribe; finally it appeared to work with last customer call a la carting the service and stating that they couldn't return me back to where I was after they started this debacle.  The last call that included accounting, customer service and "retention" was a joke; best described as a "shell" game and would make a good spot for a comedy television show.

I did bridge the network connection to my own firewall as their's was more of a graphical interface with no meat to it and difficult to navigate.  I also have it locked down (think they are PO'd though cuz they cannot get into my FIOS box unless they have some sort of back door to it).

The Direct TV box is still on and sitting next to the Verizon FIOS box.  Direct TV did offer me a free year of television as a "retention" thing a few years back.

Pete,

One thing I would like to know, how did you get a Credit on a TAX?  Federal Excise Tax -0.05.

Shell game indeed.  :)

--Dan

If your provider support it, I highly recommend the Motorola SB line of cable modems. Make sure you get one before Arris destroys the product quality. I have nothing good to say about cheap low end consumer products from Arris who sells mostly to ISPs in exchange for subs or revenue, so I won't say anything.

So no one else has ordered this modem?  I must have one of the last ones not owning my own modem I guess ;)

I currently get 10/1 DL/UL, hoping that will improve a little, but I mostly wanted to get rid of the fee.

So do you have a Motorola SB4200 (D1) right now Dan? 

You reminded me that I have to replace the rental SB my sister in law has.

Yep, just logged into my modem for the full secs:
Software Version: SB4100-1.4.9.9-SCM02-NOSH
Hardware Version: 0
MIB Version: II
GUI Version: 1.0
VxWorks Version: 5.3

Back