What tutorials would you like to see?

electron

Administrator
Staff member
While I am already as busy as an electric circuit trying to deal with 100 X-10 devices trying to communicate simultaneously, I have been slowly working on creating more content for the site.

I already have an extensive list of tutorials I would like to create, but I wanted to check with everyone regarding what tutorial you would like to see or think would be really useful to the community.

I don't care how basic or advanced the subject is, I just want a feel of what is in demand, or what would be most useful, even if you personally don't need have a need for the tutorial you might have in mind.

Let me know guys, thanks!

As always, ANY suggestions/comments you have, post them here, it's the only way we can make improve this site.

I'll start.

Push methodology from the Elk to a cell phone.

Hooking a strobe to an M1 unit as this comes up a lot (I can do this one).

How to setup Java app environment  on a PC for Android programming.

I'll put in what I am struggling with now:

Very detailed VPN setup
Fine tuning Zoneminder setup (many options to deal with) (Pete_C??)
Set up Mail Server behind router/modem

I am good with ZM tweaks as long as we write about it on Ubuntu.

I've been using Zoneminder for 10 years now and am still learning.  The ZM forum is good.

Think I started with either Arch Linux or PC OS linux; don't remember anymore.  That said though I am on Ubuntu 32 bit and really want to get it to Ubuntu 64 bit.  I did though modify this 32 bit build for HD stuff and now have my old legacy 8 port 8 chip DVR card working with HD and SD IP cameras (8 analog and 8 combo IP cameras).  It is working great with the Ubiquti Aircams; pushing the PC a bit.

There are so many different Linux OS builds of ZM that its difficult to keep track of what is what.

I do now though have it working just fine with Homeseer and my OPII Omnitouch legacy and Omnitouch IP screens; although the Omnitouch stuff is only 4:3 and I prefer the wide angle views better.

The reason I brought up the networking stuff is that today there are much more devices that people buy and put on their network.  Mostly though many users use the plugnplay defaults of everything which I would not personally recommend.

pete_c said:
I am good with ZM tweaks as long as we write about it on Ubuntu.

Since this forum is for ideas for tutorials, maybe we I can start another topic for ZM or message you. I am using LinuxMint 14 which is based on Ubuntu.

George,

Sounds good.  I am not utilizing any GUI with my ZM box;

I am pushing it to its limits right now though and it is installed on a CPU with two cores but easy to change to 4 cores; just haven't yet .

I have another box that I can use though with a ZM 64 bit 4 core build.  I also have another analog 8 port DVR card and it might be easier to start from scratch.  The base OS takes about 10 minutes to install.

I have played with Linux Mint so maybe will give it a tray running it at 64bit.  I've been using it now to do some FW and other stuff with it.  It works well.

Back