*** Uplink 4500EZ Serial Connector Pic. Need to find the pin out...

Mp333

Got my hands on the Uplink 4500EZ today. Fired it up and would not get the Service to blink or the Network Status to blink at a slow pace. Tried it in the basement, First and second floor and nothing. Then I tried using a 8" antenna I have from my old DSC Alexor and voila. It started to work. Service LED blinks and Network Status blinks once a second.I installed the original 3" Antenna and it also seems to work fine. Not sure what was going on? It also seems to work in the basement. Granted AT&T signal is not the best in my area.
The mystery serial cable apparently plugs into the lower left quadrant where you see the exposed pin (JP12). Its a 12 pin connector above the two small IC's. There is no mention of the Serial functionality in the specs. The serial cable from Uplink 4500CAB is priced at $40 which is my opinion way too much. I am going to attempt to make my own. I have the material to make one. Just need to figure out the pin out for Serial interface. I have attached the pics for anybody panning to use 4500EZ.

Attachments

• IMG_2236e.jpg
    IMG_2236e.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 135
I build my own and cable works fine. Here is the pin out. Hope this helps.

DB9 >  UpLink
2      >   10 Rx
3      >    9 Tx
5      >    7 GND

Thank you for the information. I have the 4500ez on the way and will make a cable to interface back to the Elk panel.

Aside from the cable, is the 4500(EZ) working as expected with the Elk XSP? 

I was curious since they dont have a formal firmware for the newer Uplink unit, does the firmware for the older (2500) work OK?

srodgers said:
Thank you for the information. I have the 4500ez on the way and will make a cable to interface back to the Elk panel.

You will need an M1XSP to talk to the uplink4500EZ unless you are not using the serial port on M1G.

chrisexv6 said:
Aside from the cable, is the 4500(EZ) working as expected with the Elk XSP? 

I was curious since they dont have a formal firmware for the newer Uplink unit, does the firmware for the older (2500) work OK?
4500EZ is working fine. It was at one point sending out the uplink lost/uplink Restore constantly for few days. Then again the unit is in the basement at the moment. It could be weak signal causing it.
Yes the older firmware works fine. Uplink Anynet & AES v10.0.2 is what I am using.

Mp333 said:
4500EZ is working fine. It was at one point sending out the uplink lost/uplink Restore constantly for few days. Then again the unit is in the basement at the moment. It could be weak signal causing it.
Yes the older firmware works fine. Uplink Anynet & AES v10.0.2 is what I am using.

Good to know....wanted to make sure its easy to swap a 4G unit in place when the time comes (or if I get an astounding deal on one off Ebay)

If it really is a 4G unit, basement performance will probably be, well, in the basement!  4G doesnt like shooting through buildings.  I know my LTE phone barely even gets 3G in my basement, but on the second floor (where my Uplink unit is) I get full 4G.

It will end up on second floor eventually. Just ran the cables for RS485.Joys of DIY. Got to squeeze it in among fifty other things to do:)

So the only difference between the 4500ez and the 2500 is that the 4500ez does not have a serial port and you need to get the cable, or make you own? Besides that, it works just like 2500 with same full reporting and speed of reporting?

i was holding off since the 2500 is 2g but am thinking of getting the 4500 for the 4g.

newalarm said:
So the only difference between the 4500ez and the 2500 is that the 4500ez does not have a serial port and you need to get the cable, or make you own? Besides that, it works just like 2500 with same full reporting and speed of reporting?

i was holding off since the 2500 is 2g but am thinking of getting the 4500 for the 4g.
Yes it does have Serial connection, just not the DB9 connector. It does do full reporting. Its same as 2500 except its 4G.

Who do you have service with? Just received the unit today and plan to install it tomorrow. Just not sure what comes after that.

Would you happen to have the install guide mentioned In the he quick start sheet? Web site Says it is something only available to dealers but hopefully somebody has a copy.

I have it with Local Alarm guy who uses a monitoring company. Gives me a good deal.
I donot have any guide for it. Just hook up power and the serial connection. Then the monitoring company will need the number from the 4500EZ.
The monitoring company should be able to set you up. Just search here for monitoring company.

I have located a .pdf copy of the 4500ez install manual. Covers everything except the 12 pin header com port. Your help with the serial connection was key. I have the manual if anyone else is considering this setup.

4500ez seems like it is working. All the LEDs are normal and unit reports back to the Elk panel if it looses service. I disconnected the antenna to force service loss to see if the serial port text was received per the M1 manual example. Works great.

I have an appointment with an Alarm Relay tech tomorrow to setup panel.

Back