Foscam 8910 w/ Elk M1G

TheHoff

Is there a way to enable the motion detection and alarm notifications only when an elk is armed to away?

I don't need my Mordor sending me emails when I (or my wife) is at home.  Currently I use the scheduler while we're both usually at work, to get it 90% right.  However, if one of us gets home early I'd like notifications disabled.  Likewise, when we go out on weekends, I'd like to enable them.

It seems the most logical would be to turn them on during away mode.  Ideally (I'm assuming this isn't available), I could send a message over the network... somehow.  Is there a way through Insteon or something?

My only jimmy-rigged idea was to put the camera's power on an Insteon switched outlet (don't have insteon, but looking for an excuse to get it).  Then I'd power it off whenever I'm at home, and cross my fingers that it boots correctly every time I arm to away.  Of course, it's not ideal since I'd loose my ability to check the device while it's powered off.  I guess I could use a relay from my Elk to switch the 5v power wire of the camera.

Any good ideas?

Cool!!!  Thanks.

So, I essentially just need to send an HTTP request to the IPaddress/set_alarm.cgi?motion_arm=0/1&etc.

Now I just need to figure that out.  I saw somewhere that the insteon ISY has a network module that could do this?  Any way to do this natively within the Elk?  Any free options to accomplish this?  As much as I'd like to play with the ISY, I have no other insteon devices.  Once I start, I know it'll get expensive.

It's pretty much just my Elk at this point... with an M1XEP.  I just downloaded Premise, and am starting the process to learn that.

TheHoff said:
Cool!!!  Thanks.

So, I essentially just need to send an HTTP request to the IPaddress/set_alarm.cgi?motion_arm=0/1&etc.

Now I just need to figure that out.  I saw somewhere that the insteon ISY has a network module that could do this?  Any way to do this natively within the Elk?  Any free options to accomplish this?  As much as I'd like to play with the ISY, I have no other insteon devices.  Once I start, I know it'll get expensive.

No doubt, ISY can do it.  In fact, I think I will take this info and give it a try with mine.  The network module adds $50 and Elk module costs $100.  You'll pretty much need both, although it is possible to skip the Elk module.  You can set the Elk to turn on an Insteon switch or KPL button.  Write a rule in ISY to monitor that button/switch and when it turns on, send a the network command.  But it sounds like you don't have any Insteon devices at present, so at minimum you would need to buy one of those.  The Elk module for ISY darn near links 100% of Elk status and control with ISY.  You can pretty much skip Elk rules and program all of your automation stuff in ISY if you wanted.

There is no way for Elk to send a network command directly.  Other options besides ISY would include Elk sending an email which triggers a PC to execute the network command.  Or you can have Elk turn on an output which is monitored by a PC or other device capable of sending a network command.

I have to wonder, why do you have an ISY and no Insteon devices?

I don't have an ISY.... yet.  Wifey has me on a tight budget.  I can easily talk her into security features... but when it comes to the fun stuff, she's a tough nut to crack.

Though, I have to admit she's probably right.  Two kids, a new house, we want new cars.  Other spending is pretty much on an as-needed basis.

I have a hunch around Christmas time I can talk her into some insteon.  The first time we leave the christmas lights on all night and get a $1000 bill from the electric company will solve the cost/benefit argument.

Home brew. If you have a dedicated on pc you could whip up a program that connects to the Elk and then send your foscam commands when arm/disarm is received. A lot of members here have written various programs to connect to the Elk.

So far I have Premise up and running.  I seem to have successfully connected to the Elk (actually pretty simple once I remembers I can't be in an RP connection at the same time).

Now I'm trying to figure out how to make the HTTP call.  I'm still learning how to do scripts in Premise, but I think I see a way with the URLDownload method.  I just need a little time to learn the program.  Fortunately, I know enough VBScript to be dangerous.

I'm also tinkering with sending the request to the foscam.  It seems I need to be logged in as an administrator.  When I'm already logged into a browsing session, sending the http request seems to work pretty well, and the page returned just says OK.  However, if I start without being already logged into my foscam, then it prompts for my username/password.  So the user=&pwd= section of the URL string doesn't seem to be used for authentication.  This could be a buzz-kill, as I don't know how Premise would be able to handle the authentication if the URL string doesn't work.

Lou, did you have any luck making the URL string work with the ISY?

TheHoff said:
So far I have Premise up and running.  I seem to have successfully connected to the Elk (actually pretty simple once I remembers I can't be in an RP connection at the same time).

Now I'm trying to figure out how to make the HTTP call.  I'm still learning how to do scripts in Premise, but I think I see a way with the URLDownload method.  I just need a little time to learn the program.  Fortunately, I know enough VBScript to be dangerous.

I'm also tinkering with sending the request to the foscam.  It seems I need to be logged in as an administrator.  When I'm already logged into a browsing session, sending the http request seems to work pretty well, and the page returned just says OK.  However, if I start without being already logged into my foscam, then it prompts for my username/password.  So the user=&pwd= section of the URL string doesn't seem to be used for authentication.  This could be a buzz-kill, as I don't know how Premise would be able to handle the authentication if the URL string doesn't work.

Lou, did you have any luck making the URL string work with the ISY?

Yes, I tried setting the motion_armed=1  and motion_armed=0 and ISY did turn it on and off.  It does recognize the authorization.  Without the authorization entered it denied, then I added authorization and it accepted.

I was able to get it working on Premise.  It took a little while to figure out the program, but it's pretty slick once you get the hang of it. I fear getting this to work was like my gateway drug... it won't be long until I'm roaming the streets late at night looking for something to automate.

I just had to use system.urldownload to send the http request, based on SecurityState value (0 for armed away), after the OnSecurityStateChange event triggers.  The only real trick was I got a dozen emails from the foscam during the exit period because of the sound detection alarm.  So I just used system.addevent to schedule the http request for 60 seconds after arm away.

Now to figure out what else I can do with this software.

Thanks, all for your help.

Great thread - I'm trying to do the exact same.  Cocoonut - I have an ELK and ISY networked together.  I have a switch that my elk turns on and off when the system is armed or disarmed.  Can you tell me more specifically how to program my ISY to trigger my Foscam cameras for email forwarding when the switch is set?  I can't see how to write custom code in the ISY and not quite technical enough to get all the code written.  Do you have a similar example?  I have a few foscam cameras and just want to turn on/off email motion alarms.

Thanks a ton for your help.

joelevy said:
Ignore my previous post - I found web materials to get this all done.   REALLY COOL!

Good deal.  I'm out of town right now and while I can remote into my ISY, I would prefer to play around with my kids right now.

Someone above said you cannot send a network command with the ELK. That is not true!
If you have the m1xep you can set a command center as ip address (your camera) and port. Paste the network command in a text string. In a rule select "send text out" and it will deliver that command to your camera.

I posted how to do this with Vera Alerts in great detail somewhere on this forum and in the micasaverde forum under "Elk Plugin". Same principal. You can do it.

Back