Is it ok to put a keypad inside a closet?

Pcarfan

I would rather not have a security keypad in my main foyer. Can I put it inside the coat closet?

Also, do keypads negate the need for a speaker in that room?

Thanks!

I obviously have no idea what your homes floor plan is like, but I didn't like the idea of having a keypad near my front door either. We opted to put our main keypad in our kitchen. I'd probably find a suitable place nearby to place it without having to go into a closet (ease of use). YMMV

The keypad's wiring is separate from the speaker, although the KP2's hide an SP12 speaker behind them quite nicely (but they do require separate wiring)...

I went with the KP2 because I think it looks great flush mounted in the wall - and I like having them by each major entrance as well as in the master; I'd do it in the closet only if using touchpads as a main interface and using the keypad just as a backup.

As someone with a slight case of OCD... I first installed my keypad in a closet because I don't like "wall clutter." That didn't last too long!
Since we used keyfobs to arm/disarm and enter the house via the automated garage door I figured I wouldn't need to see the keypad much. Then I was looking for a "clean" way to have a panic button by the front door for that "just in case" situation. And once my wife started smoking again and went to go outside at night there wasn't an obvious indicator on the alarm status. Plus, any zone status, battery status, etc I would need to open a closet door to see instead of glancing at the keypad while walking by. In the end the KP2 w/flush mount kit does look nice ;)

drvnbysound said:
I obviously have no idea what your homes floor plan is like, but I didn't like the idea of having a keypad near my front door either. We opted to put our main keypad in our kitchen. I'd probably find a suitable place nearby to place it without having to go into a closet (ease of use). YMMV

Thank you all for the replies.

I have two front entrances, the second smaller entrance is very close to the garage door entry. But even the main front entrance is not too far from the garage or the second smaller entry. Besides, the major front door will almost never be used by us to enter or leave the house (we'll either use the second smaller entry or the garage). So, I am also thinking of foregoing a keypad for the main entrance/foyer and install one close to the garage/secondary entry. Then If I have to use the same keypad for the times we use the front entry.

I originally had the same thoughts about wall clutter and installing in the foyer closet butI installed mine by the front door viewable through the window as a deterrent.  I have it set to not display status.  

I figured a typical thief will go to the front door, ring the bell, knock, etc to check if anyone is home and they will see the keypad and maybe think otherwise.  I don't want to use stickers...  Maybe I have been watching too much "To Catch a Thief"... :)

wuench said:
I originally had the same thoughts about wall clutter and installing in the foyer closet butI installed mine by the front door viewable through the window as a deterrent.  I have it set to not display status.  

I figured a typical thief will go to the front door, ring the bell, knock, etc to check if anyone is home and they will see the keypad and maybe think otherwise.  I don't want to use stickers...  Maybe I have been watching too much "To Catch a Thief"... :)

I always wonder about these type of theories... does seeing a keypad actually scare a thief away? That would just prepare me more... I'd first go cut your phone and cable lines - hoping that you don't have cellular backup (many don't). Afterward, I know that I could still do a quick snatch-and-grab and be out of there before anyone is notified... based on general keypad delays I have about 30 seconds before the alarm begins to sound. Since I know you have an alarm I could spend that 30 seconds looking for the panel if I wanted to - while I had someone else grabbing goods.

Our front door keypad is also visible from the street. At night it is very obvious. I find it reassuring.

drvnbysound said:
I always wonder about these type of theories... does seeing a keypad actually scare a thief away? That would just prepare me more... I'd first go cut your phone and cable lines - hoping that you don't have cellular backup (many don't). Afterward, I know that I could still do a quick snatch-and-grab and be out of there before anyone is notified... based on general keypad delays I have about 30 seconds before the alarm begins to sound. Since I know you have an alarm I could spend that 30 seconds looking for the panel if I wanted to - while I had someone else grabbing goods.
I agree, not all thieves will be deterred.  I prefer to believe a deterrent filters out the dumb and lazy thieves.  The smart and determined ones are going to come in no matter what.

After seeing a few movies where they show someone sitting outside in a car with binoculars watching folks entering their code on the keypad, I always wondered how many people really install their keypad in a location which can be monitored from the outside.

I guess that question is now answered ;)

wuench said:
I agree, not all thieves will be deterred.  I prefer to believe a deterrent filters out the dumb and lazy thieves.  The smart and determined ones are going to come in no matter what.

If that's the case, I suppose that my deterrent is the fact that I have 4 police officers who live on my road who regularly have their patrol vehicles parked in their driveways - and another on the street behind me ;)

About 2 years ago my wife and I were leaving our home on Easter. We regularly use our garage as our primary point of entry, but my wife went out the front door (and just pulled it to) when she went to check the mail; she returned through the garage which was already open. Shortly after, we left having never fully closed the front door. At some point the door opened enough for our dog to get out and my neighbor saw her in the front yard. He knew it was odd, walked down to the first officers house. Thinking of a potential burglary, the officer 'cleared' my house, got my dog back inside and closed the door back. We had not previously met the officer, but we gave her and her husband (both officers) a gift card and thanked them for the protection. Note that this occurred before my Elk was installed.

Personally, I subscribe to the theory that I don't want any indicator that I have an alarm. First, I don't think anyone is going to break into my home anyway; regardless of the above I live in a low crime area/city. That said, if someone does break in they will be unexpectedly met with the alarm system and hopefully it startles them enough that they take off before they get a chance to take anything.

jamieei said:
Our front door keypad is also visible from the street. At night it is very obvious. I find it reassuring.

Except if you forgot to arm the system.  Then it is reassuring for the thief who knows it is off.   :(

Pcarfan said:
I would rather not have a security keypad in my main foyer. Can I put it inside the coat closet?

Also, do keypads negate the need for a speaker in that room?

Thanks!

Elk makes a keypad that fits into a standard decora wall plate.  I used it for my front foyer keypad.  I tacked on to a the end of a triple gang switch box and use a quad gang faceplate.  So there are 3 decora light switches and the mini-keypad all behind one quad gang decora faceplate.

Unfortunately they didn't make a quad gang box that divides off for low voltage (at least not one I could find).  So I cut the sheetrock back just enough to fit the keypad guts, left enough sheetrock where the screws go to put wall anchors and screwed it in that way.  

I don't use this keypad often, but I do use it, especially on weekend mornings when someone stops by and rings the front door prior to me having had any need to dis-arm the system.  If I didn't have the keypad there I would look a bit foolish running around the house prior to opening the door.

Back