ELK M1 and Lutron RadioRa2: Keypad button press

sbe08

I just completed a ELK M1 install and I'm trying to integrate it with Lutron RadioRa2. It was pretty straightforward to install and configure the M1XSLU to have the ELK operate RadioRA lights. Now, I'm trying to get the M1 to do tasks initiated with RadioRa, namely arm the system with a press of a button on a RadioRa2 keypad, or operate windows shades relays connected to the M1 again using Lutron keypads. I've tried setting up a rule in ElkRP based on text received (DEVICE,X,Y,Z^M) from the M1XSLU, but this isn't working. 

Has anyone succeeded in having both way communication with RadioRA2 and ELK M1? If so, what's the magic trick? ;-)

Sorry I can't help sbe08 but I will definitely be paying attention as I have a Radio 2 system and may go with the Elk M1 at some point in the future.  It's good to know that it was easy for the Elk to operate the RadioRa 2 lights.  Thanks.

Thanks picta for the suggestion, but I still get nothing. I'm logged in via Terminal to the Lutron controller and I see the "~DEVICE,14,4,3" message output but it is not conveyed to the ELK... =-(

Are you trying to receive the message on the same Elk port as M1XSLU is connected to? I don't think it is possible unless it is a part of the plugin. There is no mentioning in the M1XSLU manual on the ability to track button presses. It certainly looks like an oversight on the plugin part, I would contact Elk help to confirm the case. Meanwhile you could try connecting the RA repeater to a different M1XSP, and you should be able to see the message on that port. If that works, then one way to implement your goal would be by using a serial splitter and connecting the RA repeater to both ports.

If you are trying to have the Elk respond to a button press, I'm not sure that is possible. According to the Elk/RadioRa2 webinar on Elk's site, the Elk won't see a button press but can react to a load change where the Elk will see a status change. The trainer was pretty specific in that it had to be a load change to make the Elk react. I hope I'm wrong or misunderstand what you are trying to do as I like the idea of what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks dgage & picta. The official answer from ELK is as follow:
The ELK-M1XSLU doesn’t pass the raw text received from the RadioRA2 controller to the ELK-M1. To fire a task, the rule would need to be based off of a M1 Lighting device that is mapped to the Lutron RadioRA2 device. And I believe that the individual keypad buttons are not mapped. The M1XSLU has the capability of sending the command to simulate a press of the Lutron keypad,  but it doesn’t have the capability of getting the button being pressed from the keypad.

It looks like I'll have to write a server script that will listen to the RadioRA2 status commands to have tasks executed on the M1 side...

Where's a good forum to get into Elk setups?  I'm going to add one to interface with our RadioRA2 setup.  

My initial interest is in having some motion control sensors tied into the Elk and then have conditional control over some RA2 devices.   I'm specifically interested in having a RA2 keypad 'mode' for whether to 'pay attention' to motion control inputs.  As in, if the keypad button is lit up for 'Motion' then use that to turn on lights based on motion sensed.

The next step is doing some conditional programming based on inputs and time of day.  As in, trigger lighting when I press the Pico remote light on or off buttons from my car's visor, or use an "All Off" button from a keypad.

I suppose my initial question is who's the best source for purchasing the Elk stuff?  Followed up by where's the most active developer forum for their stuff?  

That and I guess I'll be revisiting the whole "PC-based automation software" category.  It's literally been a year since I've gone anywhere near any of it.

I'd definitely be interested in how the Elk integrates with the Radiora2 system, especially for $300. I ended up buying CQC and I'm using it for back end operations, I haven't made any screens yet. I use it to turn on the kitchen light when it is dark based on the motion sensor in the garage (motion sensor turns on garage light in RadioRa2 natively). I also use CQC to control a pair of Pico controllers in the bedroom. Normally a Pico controller has an On, Up, Middle, Down, and Off associated with a single load/switch. I used CQC to use the middle button to turn on the bathroom night light instead. I've also used CQC to turn on/off lights randomly when we are on vacation.

I'm on the fence at to whether I'll go the CQC or other PC-based automation system or not.  There's really something to be said for 'set and forget' reliability of embedded systems like the Elk or an HAI.

Now, those don't do all the rest of the media stuff, so I'll still need to do something there.  The wife likes how a C4 setup with a Kaleidescape worked in a demo, and isn't freaked out by the price tag.  Convenience and well-integrated beats fiddly bits and cost savings... by miles as far as she's concerned.  I don't disagree but I really don't like the DIY lock-out nature of some systems.

I don't need any of that 'right now', so I've got some time to really see what's-what.  That and I kind start another thread instead of hijacking this one further!

wkearney99 said:
Where's a good forum to get into Elk setups?  I'm going to add one to interface with our RadioRA2 setup.  

My initial interest is in having some motion control sensors tied into the Elk and then have conditional control over some RA2 devices.   I'm specifically interested in having a RA2 keypad 'mode' for whether to 'pay attention' to motion control inputs.  As in, if the keypad button is lit up for 'Motion' then use that to turn on lights based on motion sensed.

The next step is doing some conditional programming based on inputs and time of day.  As in, trigger lighting when I press the Pico remote light on or off buttons from my car's visor, or use an "All Off" button from a keypad.

You can do all of that with either Elk or HAI. HAI apparently has a better interface for RA2 buttons, you can trigger a rule based on which button is pressed. ELK somehow overlooked that functionality, but you can still implement it by using ASCII strings as described in earlier posts on this topic.

Ok, so perhaps that needs it's own thread:
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/25535-elk-or-hai-for-lutron-ra2-integration/

I've dealt with many a framework or interface over the years so I know the hassles of "almost" solutions.  It often ends up being you can "almost" do what you need using the friendly interfaces or you have to do it all "from scratch" on the bare iron.  The latter being a lot more work and prone to serious compatibility issues as firmware and interfaces change.  So using the vendor's intended interfaces often ends up being a lot less trouble... just without getting what you really want.

Something like CQC would certainly give you a lot more control than a more closed one, and it's pretty unlimited in what it can do. Given that it's the only software based option that interfaces with RA2, that would sort of make it a no-brainer if you using that system as well.

Back