Old Touchplate System Replacement

rla

I have an older Touchplate system currently installed in my house.  There are 6 relay boxes installed across the attic in different locations and the wiring is a mess. I am planning on replacing the system with a new, centralized system and replacing the low-voltage cabling and switches.  I’m currently leaning toward replacing the system with a Centralite Elegance XL system.   I have looked at the newer Touch-Plate Zone-Z solutions but it looks like the CentraLite product has more capabilities.  I am new to this and would like to know if I on the right track or should I be looking at other options?

You could do either, but the largest limiting factor is budget and if there is going to be an automation system or controller.

We have done this before with old Touchplate systems. I would consider a Vantage Controls system.  It can accomodate your 6 relays box locations pretty easily so you won't have to pull any new 120 volt wiring.  You can also use the existing multiconductor (cat3or ??) home runs. You would only have to run a new Vantage cable or 2 between all 6 relay locations and a new master conntroller. At the relay locations you can use either dimming stations or relay stations, depending on your needs.
We can help you with this.. PM me if you'd like.

I had a late 60s touchplate system as well.  I replaced it with one of their newer DMX controlled systems -- new relay boards, switch gateways so I could use my existing switches, a timekeeper plus, and a serial to ethernet server.   That, with some basic configuration, got me back to a working system (yay! all relays work, nothing gets stuck) plus the timing capability and such that the timekeeper brings.

Additionally, I got it onto the home network using a wifi bridge, and wrote some software to integrate the system with OpenHAB, which now handles all timers, gives me remote control (IOS and android both), and lets me use the same system to integrate with other systems in the house (working on irrigation now).

If you want to go that route, I'd be happy to share my knowledge and experience.  I'm very happy with the outcome, and am continuing to build on it as a base.

-hjs

Back