Premise Yale touchscreen deadbolt works great with the VRC0P

Motorola Premise

etc6849

My Z-Wave Kwikset lock that gets used the most, finally started to die.  I think it was due to condensation collecting in the lock as the lock is near an AC vent and has no rubber gasket (thanks for the poor design).

So, I thought I'd give Yale a try, and I'm glad I did!  The Yale lock is very well made compared to the Kwikset.  It also came with two thick rubber gaskets (to prevent condensation).  It's also very heavy compared to the Kwikset, at least twice the amount of metal on the Yale.

Not only does the Yale lock work faster/quieter than the Kwikset deadbolt, it also talks during setup. The status updates show up almost instantly on the VRC0P, compared to the Kwikset that took 3-7 seconds sometimes.

I bought mine from ASIHome/Worthington, but if you set a price alert on Amazon (see camel link below), you can get a great price there along with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Yale-YRD220-ZW-619-Electronic-Motorized-Technology/dp/B005NLKRAO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

CamelCamelCamel's price history for Amazon:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Yale-YRD220-ZW-619-Electronic-Motorized-Technology/product/B005NLKRAO

I found this on google.  It details the Yale's z-wave capabilities.  It turns out it supports scheduling, although this isn't implemented in the Premise module (yet).

Attachments

• yale real living z-wave protocol.pdf
    65.9 KB · Views: 40
Any changes required to the zwave module?

cool...thanks for the product tip

No required changes.  I did one optional change.  The Kwikset supported lock via keypad or lock via user (code followed by lock).  Since the Yale is a touchpad, you have to disable touch to lock in order for a user to lock the door (and track who locked it).  If you don't touch to lock sends a code similar to lock by key, but thankfully has an alarm level parameter that is  2 instead of 1 so you can distinguish between a key or level lock and a "touch to lock."

I modified this code:

case 21 'locked from lever or using key
' for yale touchscreen, handswipe gives:
' <n002:000,113,005,021,002
if this.AlarmLevel = 2 then
bUseAlarmType = false
this.LockState = 18
end if

this.Failure = false
this.TooManyBadEntries = false
this.Unlocked = false
this.LastUserNumber = 0
this.LastUserName = "UNKNOWN"

from: sys://Schema/Modules/Leviton/Classes/Lock/OnChangeLastAlarmTime

chucklyons said:
Any changes required to the zwave module?

cool...thanks for the product tip

I just recently purchased this lock. I really do like it quite a bit.

I was orriginally using it with a vera controller but have recently decided to move to Premise. I would respectfully like to put my 2 cents in and vote for adding the scheduling features to the driver if they haven't been added already.

Would either of you be willing to provide some information on adding the yale lock into your premise environment? I seem to be stuck with a lock device that does not actually do anything at the momment. For reference, Here is what I have done.

Added lock to my Zwave network using my Leviton USB Stick and the installer tool software. The lock is active and I can send basic commands such as unlock and lock. As far as I am able to tell, there is no method to add users or additional codes.

Updated the VRC0P (version is +3) associations and updated it.

In Premise, I performed a discover Devices task and it ran through my Z-wave devices and found the lock.
I have associated it with an object in the home node as well.

End result: The lock does not lock or unlock on command (I tick the check box in the properties of the lock device) Additionally, the max users number is set to 0 so I am unable to add access codes for my family members.

I feel like I am basicly on the right track but have missed a crucial step somewhere. Any help would be apprceciated. I am VERY new to premise but have been able to make some good progress with my lighting components. I have other issues with sensors and stuff but Ill tackle that another time.

Thanks again...

I'm stumped.  It should work fine.  Google for the Leviton VRC0P +3 protocol document and please post what is shown in port spy (from Premise Builder) when you attempt to lock and unlock.  You should see something similar to this:

>N2SS98,1,255
<E000
<N002:152,128,161,198,227,100,047,193,074,118
<E000
<X000
<N002:152,064
<n002:000,113,005,024,001

For the users, just add them using Premise Builder.  For example, modify sys://Devices/CustomDevices/ViziaRF2/Devices/Lock2/NumberOfUsers, then set up the properties for each user after the user objects are created under sys://Devices/CustomDevices/ViziaRF2/Devices/Lock2 or wherever your lock device object is.

Thanks! As I have been poking at this it seems it is going to relate to the Association to the VRC0P unit. I have had a heck of a time getting it to associate the lock and it may be related to that.

Here is the result of my sending the unlock command to the lock directly through the VRC0P +3 using Hercules (like hyper term).

Serial port COM1 opened
>N2SS98,1,255<E000
<N002:152,128,158,124,230,220,055,209,225,067
<E000
<X000

As you can see it does not return the last two lines you indicated. So the Lock may not know about or is unable to communicate back to the VRC0P. seems odd as I can send the command and get a basic successful (non error) response as indicated by <E000. Physically they are about 5 feet from each other. (amazing I know)

I may need to rebuild the zwave network and work with just the lock and the VRC0P for a bit.
I will post back my findings

Make sure sys://Devices/CustomDevices/ViziaRF2/VRC0Pv3 is set to true and that sys://Devices/CustomDevices/ViziaRF2/VRC0PNodeID is filled out.

Next, toggle sys://Devices/CustomDevices/ViziaRF2/Devices/Lock2/AssociateWithVRC0P.  You should see this:

>N2SS133,1,1,16
>N2SS133,1,1,16
<E000
<N002:152,128,182,144,201,179,015,212,037,022
<E000
<X000
>N2SS133,2,1
>N2SS133,2,1
<E000
<N002:152,128,030,163,130,093,156,003,223,137
<E000
<X000
<N002:152,064
<n002:000,133,003,001,005,000,016

If you don't ensure that you "update controller" for the VRC0P using the Leviton stick and RF Installer Tool.  After that retry.  If you still don't see this, how far away is the lock and the VRC0P and do you have a routing slave in between that supports secure commands?

Ahhh that did the trick. So helpful. Thank you. I had not noticed the associate with VRC0P property until you mentioned it.

Im not sure if all the steps I took were absolutely necessary, but here is what I did for future reference.

-Wiped my installer stick and started a new Z-wave network (my network is pretty small with only 13 devices or so).

-The first item I added was the Yale Lock. It was discovered and added to the network with no issue.

-I then added the VRC0P +3 Unit. I read somewhere that the order these two devices were added was important (If I can find it Ill post the link here) but you want to add the   Serial unit after the lock.

-Within the Leviton installer tool, I was able to lock and unlock the door. I could NOT associate it with the VRC0P however nor could I lock or unlock the bolt using the VRC0P.

-Popped open my terminal program (I use Hercules) and manually added the Lock to the association list for the VRC0P

-At this point I was able to lock and unlock the door using the VRC0P.

-Opened premise builder and re-added the VRC0P to the devices list. Ticked the +3 box and entered the correct node ID

-Ran a discover devices and it successfully found the lock. I let the initialization complete and was pleased to find a number of properties that had previously been unavailable, inactive or undetected. Added some users and tested everything from entering a code and unlocking to feedback and status reporting. All worked as expected.

Now I just need to add the lights :)

Thanks again for the assist. I think my network had some underlying issues as well so the rebuild probably would have happened one way or the other.

ETC -probably not a question of general importance, but the Yale Touchscreen or the Yale Pushbutton Version? Living near the ocean, your condensation tip on the Kwikset was well received. I'm assuming the Yale touchscreen would be more along the lines of better water resistance? Did you notice pushbutton problems on the Kwikset?

ETC, Excellent module. The Yale Touchscreen is fantastic - added quickly to the Network and Premise.

Which object makes the most sense to bind to? 

Back