Elk M1 xep - here's how to use GMAIL (no ssl)

One note:

The SMTP server only allows to email to own Gmail domainss.. (internal) 

So if you need to email to a different isp or domain, setup a Gmail account and create forwarding rules

Anyone find any other service outside of gmail that works?  I was wondering why I was suddenly not getting alerts, and then I stumbled across the lavabit article on the web.  After reading that, I came straight here. :)

I'm looking for something other than gmail - I still have a few issues knowing that gmail reads everything coming into and out of your inbox for marketing purposes...

I'd also like to be able to send to multiple addresses, for the below examples, and I don't think that you can selectively forward different messages to different email addresses:
 - @txt.att.net for text messages for alarm events
 - to my regular email account for things like when I use the non-ssl account on my printer to scan a document (yes, my printer has the same dumb "no ssl" requirement)...

I could neverr get AOL to work.. 

They use non ssl port 587.

However,it uses TLS... On port 587

I could neverr get AOL to work.. 

They use non ssl port 587.

However,it uses TLS... On port 587

dw886 said:
Anyone find any other service outside of gmail that works?

I'd also like to be able to send to multiple addresses,

I've been switching accounts over to SMTP2GO.  It works reliably and meets your multiple address requirement.

I, too, was using Lavabit and noticed it stopped working.  I tried the above instructions for gmail, but that's not working either.  Others have it working by following the instructions at the link?

SMTP Server: aspmx.l.google.com
SMTP Port: 25
User: [[email protected]]
Pass: [yourpassword]

Update: In my haste, I forgot about all the troubleshooting I did last year when I switched over to lavabit.  Verizon FiOS blocks outbound SMTP traffic on port 25 - so using the Google server on port 25 will not work on FiOS or any other ISP that blocks outbound port 25 traffic.

I never had any luck with the other elk 'recommendations'. Boy that sucks. Thanks for heads up. I had not even noticed.

Is there any way to set up your own email server if you have a hosting space? I think I had asked them, but they told me there was something they could not do. I will have to research again... sucks.

I setup SMTP2GO last night, works great!  Free account is only 20 emails per day but for my uses that works just fine. 

Even their paid lowest account is fairly inexpensive (5/month or 45/yr) and gives you about 70 emails a day.

Another option (albeit harder and requires more equipment) is to setup a true HA server.  I had Premise up and running and able to send emails (and on top of that I believe Premise supports SSL email services too)

Back