Controling 3 heat pumps in one home

Drewski

i'm building a new home that is conditioned wth three seperate Carrier heat pumps. I am not planning a comprehensive HA system but would like to be able to remotely monitor and manipulate the thermostats.

What would be the best solution?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Carrier infinity or regular carrier?

Infinity pretty much requires special thermostats which will of course limit you to Carrier products.  That means the Carrier infinity thermostat that has all those features you want.

If it is not infinity, then you can use a Nest.  Off hand, I am not aware of another stand-alone thermostat that has a web-interface.

The systems are not Carrier Infinity. With so many homes heated and cooled by multiple heat pumps, isn't there some form of control for all three systems instead of buying, and managing, three individual thermostats??

honestly what I've seen most of the time is separate thermostats that are brought together by the software used to manage them.  For instance, if you wanted to tinker a bit more with automation - even if just small for christmas lights and minimal other stuff, I'd look at something like a Vera and z-wave thermostats - there I think you'd manage them somewhat together; otherwise, yeah there are even wifi thermostats at Home depot these days but you'd need their software and I just don't know how it'd treat multiple tstats in a single house.

I don't know of any system where the thermostats talk to one another - even in zoned systems we've lost that now - I have the RCS system which does it but even that's been discontinued.

While it would be convenient to just have a single control that operated all three Tstats and heat pumps at once, it would eliminate the advantage you gain by having multiple heat pumps. Zoned systems allow for different temperatures in different areas, and at different times. They also allow for more specific response to different conditions such as a warmer 2nd story that needs to be cooled more than, say, a basement area.

So you might, as suggested, gain that convenience via an automation system (Elk, ISY, HAI, etc.) which could control all three at once through "scene" type programming (one interface controls each Tstat simultaneously), but also find yourself wanting to control each Tstat separately in man situations.

The Nest was mentioned, and I find it works very well, with little need for us to interact with it to adjust it. For your situation you could just have 3 little icons on your phone, all lined up, for when you want control. But each Nest itself would handle the bulk of your actual control without a need to touch them (they'll even program themselves to a large degree as they learn your schedule, if you wish).

I have looked at the Nest. Is there a fee for connecting to the Nest site for monitoring the t-stats? Slso, what is the proper wire to run for the Nest?

Thanks for the responses

No fee for their site, and it works well. Gives you run time of each day for past 7 days, and you can adjust temporary temp or overall schedule through it.

As for wire, it's just standard Tstat wire (whatever your HVAC tech would normally run) on mine. I think it's 18 ga 5-conductor but check with your tech on the unit's needs.

Like others i would also suggest the same that it would be more convinient to use only one software for all the 3 thermostats to control. If you install 3 different softwares for 3 of the thermostats it would be hard to manage.  

SmartAutomation

Back