Photo
- - - - -

Switch audio channel over hdmi output

Best Answer timoraes , 17 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

You would be much better off just adjusting the settings in your receiver to indicate that you don't have a center channel.  The center channel will then be mixed with your left and right speakers.  If your left and right speakers aren't too far from your tv, you'll never hear the difference.

I disabled the center channel in audio settings and it worked ... thank you all

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 timoraes

timoraes

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hi, I have a htpc with onboard 5.1 audio and vga with hdmi audio output. Is there any way I can send via hdmi only the center channel audio? I'm trying to use Virtual Audio Cable but for now I could only send the stereo sound of the front speakers via hdmi, or all 6 channels compressed.

I'm looking for a solution for weeks, any help would be great. Sorry for my English, I only speak Portuguese.

Thanks

#2 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4927 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB, RadioRA2
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

I know there are devices that let you extract and inject audio into HDMI but that may be a bit convoluted - how about you tell us why you need this? Maybe there are better options.

#3 timoraes

timoraes

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for reply....The reason is that I don't have the center speakers, and I want to use the speakers from TV instead to buy it.

#4 tadr

tadr

Dedicated Cocooner

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for reply....The reason is that I don't have the center speakers, and I want to use the speakers from TV instead to buy it.

You would be much better off just adjusting the settings in your receiver to indicate that you don't have a center channel.  The center channel will then be mixed with your left and right speakers.  If your left and right speakers aren't too far from your tv, you'll never hear the difference.

#5 IVB

IVB

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3613 posts
  • Software:CQC
  • Hardware:Elk M1
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • Audio:Nuvo
  • CCTV:ip

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:31 AM

That sounds pretty tough. TV speakers are typically bad, you might be best off just getting a cheap speaker and saving yourself the frustration. Not sure where you're located, but in the US you can get a mediocre center channel for $100 new (cheaper off eBay). That'd still sound better than 90% of TV speakers.

#6 IVB

IVB

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3613 posts
  • Tech:Z-Wave
  • Audio:Nuvo

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

oh, or do what tadr just posted, even simpler.

#7 timoraes

timoraes

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:54 AM

I don't have a receiver... I can make it through the pc audio settings?

That sounds pretty tough. TV speakers are typically bad, you might be best off just getting a cheap speaker and saving yourself the frustration. Not sure where you're located, but in the US you can get a mediocre center channel for $100 new (cheaper off eBay). That'd still sound better than 90% of TV speakers.

Is just a htpc in my bedroom. Especially because the center channel sounds are usually the dialogues and voices, the speakers of my tv is ok.

#8 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4927 posts
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB, RadioRA2
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 16 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

as mentioned earlier, it's doable but would require some equipment... the equipment would likely cost more than a receiver and speaker, to be honest... unless there's software for that...

Although, most sound cards have separate outputs for front, rear, center, sub - at least the ones I've had lately... are you sure there's no way to just turn off the HDMI audio and use an input instead?  If so, just run the one from the center channel to the TV's audio in.

#9 timoraes

timoraes

• Registered
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:40 AM   Best Answer

#10 sic0048

sic0048

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1588 posts
  • Tech:CentraLite
  • Audio:B&K
  • Video:SageTV
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, VoIP via ISP

Posted 17 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Glad you got it working.  I was going to suggest something like this too because the center channel is the most important speaker in a surround sound set up because it handles all the speech and other main sound elements.  I'd much rather have a phantom center speaker (like you just set up) with good quality speakers on the sides, than I would having a true center speaker that used the TV speakers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users