Even Staples getting into HA

Can I have 50 copies of this, Oh and can I get some Lighting control installed also...

Whats this world coming to?

What the world is coming to is taking control of your home away from you and giving it to a third party, who allows you to control it by paying a monthly fee. Sounds great huh?

Yeah, and in two years when they decide it's not core to their business model, your system will stop functioning and you will be S.O.L.

Hmm Linksys is owned by Belkin.  Belkin makes Wemo.  Wemo is sold at Staples!  And yet they aren't one of the promoted compatible products.  Left hand, have you met right hand?  This is probably an iteration of the Cisco Cloud Connect tech.

Have another look...

This is a hardware solution using a Linksys radio supporting Wifi, Zwave, and Lutron clear connect.  No 3rd party cloud...

Nice if they can pull it off.  Zonoff is the software company (??).  Integrating the above protocols and making them "seamless" across manufacturers looks like a monumental task.  Since it's not cloud based, I'm suspecting $$ for firmware updates.

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/24/move-over-best-buy-staples-wants-to-be-your-shop-for-the-connected-home/#comments

$99 and no (mention of) subscription fee?  Seems like they are going to have to do a lot of upselling.  Or rely on margins from the purchases of supported hardware.  Surprising that lutron is allowing embedded radios but remains to be seen what will happen with the clear connect product line at retail especially with pricing.  $99 hubs & $99 dimmers?

IndyMike said:
Have another look...

This is a hardware solution using a Linksys radio supporting Wifi, Zwave, and Lutron clear connect.  No 3rd party cloud...

Nice if they can pull it off.  Zonoff is the software company (??).  Integrating the above protocols and making them "seamless" across manufacturers looks like a monumental task.  Since it's not cloud based, I'm suspecting $$ for firmware updates.

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/24/move-over-best-buy-staples-wants-to-be-your-shop-for-the-connected-home/#comments
I'm willing to bet that the software part is in the cloud, even though it supports devices running on local protocols that could in principle be controlled directly without use of the cloud.

Yup, I bet the old subscription fee. Then once they realize the number of customers is limited they cancel the service and you have an expensive paperweight.

23 minute mark of the following podcast.

Peter Gerstberger, New business development, Staples:
"not a managed service"
"DIY based - low startup cost"
"no monthly fee - no recurring cost"

I can understand how Staples might be able to profit from selling the automation devices (I think the Hub will be a loss leader intended to lure people in). 

I do not understand how Zonoff can make money integrating the protocols and maintaining/adding new products.

I don't get it, but I would really love to believe it. 

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/24/iot-podcast-staples-to-become-a-one-stop-shop-for-office-supplies-and-smart-home-devices/

It is possible that the "base" service will be free and upgraded features will require a subscription much like Iris.

Back