Outside box for electronics?

linuxha

I have a set of Brultech ECM-1240's that I need to install in a crawl space. I intend to have room for an AC outlet, the 2 ECM-1240's and a Raspberry Pi. While not directly affected to the elements they will be in a crawl space (humidity). Does anyone have recommendations for a sealed plastic box? I'd like something that is servicable. I intend to have the Pi act as the terminal server for the 2 ECMs and a couple of sensors (temperature and humidity).

Personally here utilize Cantex boxes of all sizes.  Just recently am building one with a DIN rail inside of it and multiple DIN 120-12VDC regulated power supplies.  Outside went with one smaller Cantex box with a plastic tube for the ingress of the LV landscaping wires.  I also utilize them for my outside 1-wire stuff and other LV electronics.  They are all built the same way with a 4 screw top sealed with a sort of rubber liner that has held up well over the last few years (some have been outside for more than 10 years). My mailbox electronics is in a cantex box inserted into the brick; its been fine over the years. (outside)

I have purchased these at the local big box hardware stores.  They are reasonably priced.  I am endorsing Cantex because that is all that is available at the big box stores around here and they worked for me.

The neighbor here that went to solar panels to charge 12VDC batteries has has charger in a cantex box.  He cut a hole in the cover and glued a plece of plexiglass on it such that he could see the LED diagnostics and power lamps.

I am using Cantex boxes for my Speco Dome / Grandstream IP board and lense thing.  Inside of the Cantex box is the cable connections and POE to 12VDC converter.  It will be outside in the rain, snow or whatever weather.  Prior to this setup used them for the analog CCTV stuff.

Arlington started making a bunch of boxes marketed towards the LV electronics industry and out of PVC. The real standby name is usually Hoffman, but there's knockoffs as well (Mier, etc.)

I've used a handful of these for such situations:  Orbit outdoor timer box
They have a separate outlet inside and a panel that comes out that you can attach things to and hide the cords behind.  I tend to use water-tight cable connectors or conduit fittings for getting power in and LV in/out.

The heat generated by the electronics should handle the humidity I would suspect.

Otherwise I have a few catalogs of NEMA enclosures I use for different projects - like the industrial cabinets you see - but that's probably overkill.

Thanks guys, I haven't visited by my local home improvement stores yet but I have done a bit if searching there web sites (wow, they are terrible). I now recall seeing the boxes that pete_c mentioned at the store but couldn't find it on the web site (thanks :)  ).

Work2Play, that box is very interesting! Thanks

Both the HV & LV will be in separate conduit. The intention is to have the Brultech ECMs just below the panel. I wasn't about to have the ECMs in the dining room (very low SAF). I haven't figured out the method I'll use to communicate with the Pi. I could easiy use Etherenet or Wi Fi.

I may end up using the Pi to also control a small fan in the crawl space. That actually might help with the heating and cooling of the house while keeping that space a bit dryer.

Back