Photo
- - - - -

bluetooth cell phone gateways for home phones?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 ano

ano

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3217 posts
  • Experience:guru
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II
  • Tech:UPB, ZigBee
  • Audio:HAI
  • Phone:Ooma

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

I had one of those XLink BT Cellular Bluetooth Gateways many years ago. They worked fair. Not super reliable. Today you can achieve the same thing different ways.  Usually with simultaneous ring or forwarding.

#32 upstatemike

upstatemike

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3525 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1, HomeTroller, ISY-99, StarGate
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:Sonos
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:58 PM

Never looked into those services... where would I go for details? The ATT site?

#33 ano

ano

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3217 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:34 AM

You have to go to the service provider for the phone that you want to ring on other phones.  VoIP providers usually offer it free, as do many cellular operators, and sometimes for them, the settings are on the phone. For wireline, it may cost you extra if its possible. Look up "simultaneous ring" or "NumberSync" or call forward if nothing else. 

#34 upstatemike

upstatemike

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3525 posts
  • Experience:novice
  • Hardware:Elk M1, HomeTroller, ISY-99, StarGate
  • Tech:INSTEON
  • Audio:Sonos
  • CCTV:ip
  • Phone:POTS

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:05 AM

Looked up NumberSync on the ATT site but it is only offered if you have a special HDVoice service which only supports one model phone (that I don't have). I guess I'm stuck with the XLinks for now until a more economical option becomes available on my carrier.

#35 ano

ano

Cocoonut

• Registered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3217 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

Looked up NumberSync on the ATT site but it is only offered if you have a special HDVoice service which only supports one model phone (that I don't have). I guess I'm stuck with the XLinks for now until a more economical option becomes available on my carrier.

NumberSync is a new AT&T feature designed for the iWatch, which is a phone. It lets both your phone and iWatch ring together without a Bluetooth connection.  If you can't get your phone to ring multiple numbers, what you can do is get a Google Voice number, and give that out as your phone number. Google Voice can simultaneously ring your phone, your house, or anywhere based on rules. And you can have Google Voice send and receive text messages from your Google number.

#36 pete_c

pete_c

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 8284 posts
  • Experience:average
  • Software:Main Lobby, Open Source Automation
  • Hardware:HAI OmniPro II, Mi Casa Verde Vera, Ocelot
  • Tech:X10-PLC, X10-RF, UPB, INSTEON, Z-Wave, ZigBee, 1-Wire, xAP, xPL, ALC
  • Audio:Russound
  • Video:MythTV
  • CCTV:analog, ip, dvr
  • Phone:Asterisk, FreePBX, Ooma, POTS, VoIP via ISP

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:53 AM

Utilize one Ooma Telo box here and have been able to pair non Ooma DECT phones to the box although not totally functional.   The DECT phones were similiar to Avaya DECT phones but they were branded either Verizon or Openpeak.

Noticed that I can pair my cell phone to the Ooma box such that incoming to cell phone calls will go to the Ooma box.

Cell phones can also do calls over wireless connection in the house (versus using LTE transport).

I did not know that I could do this with my Ooma box.

This would provide an alternative to the vendor only provided solutions out there if you utilize Ooma.  Looks like you can pair up to 7 cell phones to the Ooma.

This provides incoming cell phone calls to your Ooma box.

Current telco in home here is copper, Ooma VOIP and one cellular number.

OK tried it with 4 different bluetooth sticks here and could not get the Ooma box to recognize any of the sticks.

The Ooma bluetooth stick is on Amazon for around $10.

#37 Work2Play

Work2Play

Cocoonut

• -=Gold Supporter=-
  • 4805 posts
  • Software:Elve
  • Hardware:Elk M1, RUC-01
  • Tech:X10-RF, UPB
  • Audio:AirPlay
  • Video:XBMC
  • CCTV:ip, dvr
  • Phone:3CX, Asterisk, FreePBX, Grandstream, Ooma

Posted 21 February 2018 - 06:28 PM

@lleo - I'm finally catching back up here.  I have a SNOM M3 around here - the thing always felt pretty cheap to me; I never liked using it.  I also have the Yealink cordless you mentioned - I tried working with a client to get 4 of them going and they were unreliable; he gave up and stopped using them.  My single unit always worked great, but the display left a little to be desired.  Now I'm using a ton of the Grandstream DP720/DP750 combos and I'm pretty happy with them.  The display is better than other other two mentioned, and it just has a good overall feel to it.  Plus it's dirt cheap.  It only supports 5 handsets per base unlike some of the non-SIP models others have mentioned.  In my case, I think I can just run more than one base to get to the 10 or so I need.  They also just came out with a repeater if you need to increase range.  I have two here that I haven't opened to test yet; I'll know more next week - but they only support 2 calls each (basically limited to 4 channels; each call uses 2 channels).

Of every reasonably priced cordless DECT-based SIP handset out there I've tried to date, my current recommendation is the Grandstream DP720/DP750.  Added bonus - the base station supports POE to keep wiring clutter to a minimum. 

We're due to close on a new house soon - I'll get my Grandstream UCM PBX up and running then and should get to integrate door stations and phones around the house.  I also plan to test using it to do video calls across the internet to other family.  We'll see how it goes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users