Interlogix 5822A-W glass shatter sensor wiring help

Pcarfan

I just bought a bunch of things for a Elk MK1/ISY994i/Insteon home automation setup. I am extremely new to this. So, I want to clarify a few things as the items arrive. I will be moving on Jan 15th and start installation soon after. I have read the manuals many times and watched all youtube videos etc

This is the installation pdf for the unit.
http://www.interlogix.com/_/assets/library/15651%20A%20ShatterPro%202%20Installs.pdf

QUESTION1: So there are four terminals. I understand the + and - terminals will be attached to either the +VAUX and NEG terminals on the Elk board or the 'POS' and 'NEG' terminals on my ELK-PD9 power distribution module. Is this correct?

QUESTION2: Then how exactly are the other two wires of the four conductor wires handled? I assume it goes into the two terminals marked 'Loop' on the sensor. Does it matter which wire goes where? As I understand the other end will go into one of the zones in the elk board. Can the neg of the elk zone input be wired to any one of the two terminals marked 'Loop'?

QUESTION3: Where would the 1200ohm end line resistor go? Can it be attached  to either of the two terminals marked 'Loop'. Will a glass Shatter sensor even need a resistor?

QUESTION3: DO I NEED TO TEST A GLASS BREAK SENSOR?
It says I need the 5709C hand held tester ($63) for it. Do I need to buy this and test each unit?

QUESTION4: Also, I if you scroll down on that pdf manual to 'accessories', there is that 2.53" diameter plastic piece.I will install these sensors right in to the drywall without a gang box. Do I need to install this piece when I do that?

Thank you

I actually see 5 questions.  But the answer to the first Question 3 is the resistor needs to be intalled at the end of the line (by the contact) to be effective.  And by that I mean it allows the ELK to 'monitor' the circuit at all times. Should ithe circuit be 'cut' anywhere, the alarm can sound.

If you can't put the resistor there, you might as well omit it entirely and just set the zone for normally open or closed.

Hope this helps.

BraveSirRobbin said:
Thank you

That article answered almost all of my questions. But it still doesn't explain what to do with the two unmarked terminals on this glass shatter sensor? Unlike the article, this sensor does not have 'COM' 'NC' or 'NO' marked on it. Just two terminals. Does it matter how these are wired? Does the polarity matter?

Thank you

P.S: It looks like polarity only matters for the power terminals (+ and -) and the two wires that hook up to the input zones on the board can be wired in any which way.....it looks like the same applies for motion detectors. Can someone please confirm this.

thanks!

The loop contacts are just normally closed relay contacts and polarity doesn't matter with them.  You would only care if it was a Form C relay, which has NO, NC  and COM contacts. 

BraveSirRobbin said:
I agree, though the 'hard core' purists would disagree...

I wasn't trying to open up the EOLR discussion yet again. :)  Rather, I was trying to say that the two terminals on the detector don't matter as to which one is connected to the common vs positive side of the panel.  Unless of course one of the Loop terminals is also connected internally to the Neg- power terminal on the detector.  But then I would expect that to be clearly indicated on the labeling of the terminals.

RAL said:
The loop contacts are just normally closed relay contacts and polarity doesn't matter with them.  You would only care if it was a Form C relay, which has NO, NC  and COM contacts. 

BraveSirRobbin said:
Thank you. This clears up all the questions I had. From the article it also looks like it's better to place the EOL on the negative zone wire close to the device. But it opens up a couple of more questions.

The Bosch BDL2-WP12G motion detector that I am getting has six terminals. (http://resource.boschsecurity.com/documents/Installation_Guide_enUS_2614427019.pdf)

+ and - ones are for the aux power which is fine. Then there is two 'NC' terminals and I assume here also the polarity doesn't matter. But just to be certain I will attach the end of line resistor close to the motion detector but to which ever wire that will attach to the negative terminal of the elk board.Is this correct?

The T terminals on the motion detector will not be used, right?

I've also got some piezo screamers coming. This I heard will go on out 3 of the elk board and is a form C relay. I don't know much about c relays and how to install a piezo screamer. My understanding of a form c relay is that it can have either a NO or NC status and somehow it needs to be programmed to work. Is there any article that will show how to deal with form C relays in the elk board

Thanks!

For the Bosch BDL2-WP12G motion detector, don't worry about the two 't' and wire to the two 'nc' for your zone.  Power of course is '+' and '-'.

BraveSirRobbin said:
For the Bosch BDL2-WP12G motion detector, don't worry about the two 't' and wire to the two 'nc' for your zone.  Power of course is '+' and '-'.
Ok Ty.....any article that will explain c form relays as used for the piezo screamers? How to wire those? And may be also how to program elk to handle those?

Thanks!

I see many, many posts here in your future ;) ...

Why are you convinced that you need a relay for the piezo screamers?  Do you know of their current output draw?

Can you provide the link that said a relay was needed?

Just curious of your methodology you want to deploy.

Here (Post 3) and Here are a good article explaining the basics of relays.

BraveSirRobbin said:
I see many, many posts here in your future ;) ...

Why are you convinced that you need a relay for the piezo screamers?  Do you know of their current output draw?

Can you provide the link that said a relay was needed?

Just curious of your methodology you want to deploy.

Here (Post 3) and Here are a good article explaining the basics of relays.
You are absolutely correct, I know this is just the beginning :).... But, I am certain at the end I will have a fully functioning elk/isy994i/insteon/mobilinc or ekeypad/harmony remote system in place and fully functional. I've read all the manuals many times. But unfortunately my only knowledge as far as electricity is concerned is how to turn lights on and off and to change bulbs, that's it..... So, my posts would be an excellent resource for anyone with absolutely no prior knowledge to get these working together.

Work2play had mentioned in one of my past posts, that I need to use output3 , a C form relay for the piezo screamers.
http://cocoontech.com/forums/topic/25729-please-check-this-list-i-am-getting-for-the-elkisy994iinsteon-system-for-my-home/?p=205878

I am getting the MPI-47C Screamers
http://www.interlogix.com/_/assets/library/mpi46w_mpi47_series_prd.pdf

Thank you for those links. It will take me a while to digest all of that. I will have to cross reference pretty much every word in there. I will get back with any remaining questions

Thanks!

Back