Remote Access trouble

whumphrey

Hello,
I have an OmniPro II and Haiku installed on my iPhone.  I have haiku successfully working from within my local network using a wifi connection.  I want to use Haiku remotely though via LTE.
I have set up a dynamic DNS and can successfully get to my routers outside public IP via the assigned host name.  In the router I have forwarded port 4369 (kept default port in OmniPro for now) to the OmniPro IP address. 

Final step was to edit controller connection in Haiku to address of my DDNS host name.  Everything else remains the same....port number, private keys, etc.

But....I get connection failure.

Is there more to it than this?  I'm also confused how it would ever work without the OmniPro having a default gateway IP address.  Doesn't it need this to know it's return path back to router?
What can I do to test if port forwarding is working correctly?

Thanks,
Warren

I can ping the public ip and also ping by hosthame (because of ddns).  With a port scan utility I can also see that port 4369 is open.
I don't, however, know how to test if router is actually forwarding packets to my internal IP of the OmniProII.
Haiku appears that it sees the ip address but quickly returns back with Connection Failed.  When IP address is wrong it usually tries for a while before failing.  When I try connecting via router with 'PC Access' I get a *connection refused* error.
Thanks.

Working now.  I guess it was upset because I was accessing ddns hostname from within my network.  Once i was off internal wifi, it worked. 

So....I'm curuios how other haiku users handle this situation.   If you set up for outside access then come home (assuming your phone picks up internal wifi) it won't work until you turn off wifi on phone.  Perhaps create two different controller profiles in haiku?  one for local network, another for ddns hostname?
Thanks.

If you use DDNS, you will likely need two profiles.  If you have a static IP address and an in-house DNS server, then one profile should work everywhere. Or if you have a static IP address and use the IP address in the profile, it would work.

I was having a lot of trouble getting my remote Haiku to work with ATT Uverse. I had no problem with the wifi setup, but did have trouble setting up a second 'anywhere in the world' account. There is a lot of information on the web and the Uverse site about port forwarding, but it only takes you so far and some of it is not correct at least for this application. In my Uverse account I went into Settings, Firewall, Applications pinholes and DMZ. From there, I saw various devices wired and wireless hanging off of the router, but not the Omnipro ii. Below all of those choices is a box that says 'Enter IP Address'. I put the OPii address 192.168.1.10 in that box and hit choose. Once it was selected, I checked the circle, allow individual applications and then hit Add a New User Defined Application. I called it Omnipro ii and added the port number of 4369 and hit save. Then, once in the application list, I highlighted it and added it to hosted applications and again saved. Then, to check, in Firewall, Status, I saw the following with my actual Public IP address in the left hand box (I've deleted my address for posting to this forum). The first device is my wifi router, which was part of the initial Uverse setup. This worked for me. I had read you had to go into Firewall, Advanced Configuration and deselect Stealth Mode and Deselect Ping, which at one point in my frustration, I did. Once I had Haiku working, I went back to check these boxes back on and it did nothing to the functionality of Haiku, so that was a bit of disinformation. Hope this may be of help to someone in the future as so many other posts on this site have been to me. 

Device

Allowed Applications

Application Type

Protocol

Port Number(s)

Public IP

ATT_Motorola_AP_B2DBE4

connectToCiscoAP

-

tcp

Static IP:192.168.1.10

Omnipro ii

-

tcp

Hopefully this post is not too old to get some much needed help.  Recently Haiku has stopped communicating remotely.  I have a Netgear WNR2000 router and I went in and set up 4369 to be forwarded to my Omni-II IP address, which is 192.168.1.100.  (Note:  I don't recall ever doing this before.) However I still cannot connect remotely, with WiFi disabled.   Please keep in mind that this feature has worked flawlessly for years so I am at a loss what has changed.  Please keep in mind that I don't work with the system everyday and I am not a technician so use simple terms.  LOL

what sort of address are you connecting to?  Did you plug in an IP address before - like 205.14.24.56 or a ddns name?  If it's an IP address, chances are your home IP address has changed.  Go to http://www.myipaddress.com and see what comes up... and if you see a ddns name (myhouse.dyndns.org or something like that) then go to a command prompt and ping that - and see if it's the same as what www.myipaddress.com shows.  If not, then DDNS may not be updating correctly.

I doubt anything changed with your router all of a sudden - more than likely your IP address changed or if you had DDNS it's not working anymore.

DDNS = Dynamic DNS from dyndns or no-ip or one of those.

When I go to http://www.myipaddress.com, I get: Your computer's IP address is:*70.xxx.xxx.36.  Keep in mind I am a novice here but should I not be forwarding to my HAI address, which is 192.168.1.100, or should it be going to my device address, which in this case is an iPhone.

70.xxx.xxx.36 is your public IP address that is assigned by your internet service provider (Time Warner, it appears, in your case).  This is the address that you would use when you configure Haiku.   192.168.x.x are local LAN addresses within your house that are not visible to the outside world.  That's why you need to set up the router to forward port 4369 to the Omni's address.

Check your configuration in Haiku and see what it has for the IP address.  If it is a fixed address, but is different from the 70.x.x.x address you have now, that's where the problem is.  If you see a name rather than a dotted numerical address, then you need to dig a bit further to find the problem.

Ok. I enabled wi-fi so I can access Haiku from my iPhone.  Under the "Edit section" of controller it shows that  the Address is: 192.168.1.101.  Port = 4369.  So yes it is different than the 70.xxx.  Do I change to the 70.xxx address?

Ok, so I just changed it to the 70.xxx  address and I can now access remotely.  Just curious what would have changed this to the 192.xxx address that it was showing?

Honestly I'm not sure how it ever worked outside your home...  did you have more than one profile? Is it possible you switched to an Internal profile?  I don't know Haiku well enough but I thought it supported multiple profiles to handle access issues inside and outside the home.

If you do still have a separate "External" profile then chances are the only thing that really changed is that your outside IP address changed - the 70.xxx.xxx.xxx address... with Cable those are pretty stable, but they can change once every few months.  That's where Dynamic DNS comes in - a service you pay for so that you can type in myhouse.dyndns.org (or whatever name you choose - has to be unique to you) and you run an updater either in your router or on a PC in the home that's always on - then you'd set Haiku to access myhouse.dyndns.org instead of 70.xxx.xxx.xxx - that way if the cable co changes your IP, the DynDNS updater will update myhouse.dyndns.org to point to your new external IP address automatically.  This is really the best way to go.

+1 WorktoPlay

Relating to Dynamic DNS; here have utilized No-IP dot com for years now and have not had an issue with their paid service. 

You can also get a dynamic DNS service for free if you want. 

Noticed recently that the Panasonic Dynamic DNS service is still running fine after many years (its free).

Most newer firewalls include Dynamic DNS configurations. 

Go baby steps with the firewall configuration.   Note that just because it works doesn't mean its configured correctly.

Personally have seen this relating to small business (offices) environments and homes in the last couple of years.

Back