IP camera under eaves

kurtmccaslin

For an IP camera mounted outdoor under eaves, do I need a shielded cat 5/6 cable?   What are the grounding requirements?

I have a metal roof if that makes any difference.

I didn't use shielded cat5e for my outdoor under eave POE IP HD camera. 

It is right under the aluminum soffit connected to a piece of wood trim with the cable maybe exposed about 1-2" before it going into the attic.

The overhang is about 18" or so.  I have a asphalt shingle roof.  Its been maybe two years now running 24/7 with no issues.

None of the end of the cable going into the camera is exposed to the weather as it goes inside of the camera to plug into the RJ-45 jack.

There is a sort of rubber sleeve that grasps the cable some when you close the plastic snap cover.

Historically there was an analog camera in the same location using the same wire.  I used a single balum for the analog video and power to the camera.

The balum and RJ-45 did get weathered and I did see rust on it over time.  The camera did continue to function for some 3-4 years in this manner.

Attachments

• 01182014.jpg
    01182014.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 62
Unless the camera is rated for outdoor use I put cameras in weatherproof housings - depending on the climate they may be heated housings.

In any case you don't need shield CATx cable.

Shielded cabling is designed for applications where you have electromagnetic interference (EMI) which is commonly caused by certain electrical devices like lighting. So if you think you need it just because it is outdoors, it is my opinion you don't. Save the money.

I agree on if you are putting an indoor camera, outdoors, don't rely on your eaves to protect it. Encase it. I know from experience. If you don't you'll be spending the money you saved on cabling on a new camera :).

Yup; the GXV3672HD Grandstream IPHD camera that I have installed is doing well exposed to weather and full sun.  Its been now almost a year.  We had some storms here in the last 30 days with winds up to 60MPH.  The camera has done well.

The Aircam installed is now two years old and it too has weathered well with no issues to date.  First year use was also exposing the camera to full weather, sun, et al.  It is a plastic case.  I modded this camera with a wider lense before moving it under the eave. 

Both mentioned cameras above are not encased and were less than $200. 

Thanks guys.   It is helpful to know that I can go with the plain Catx cable.   Should be placing my prewire cable order in the next couple of weeks!

The other posters are correct.  Shielded cable is completely unnecessary for what you are doing.  I have eight IP cameras of various sorts on the outside of my home, and NONE of them are on shielded cable.

5 years with no issues. 

Yup for most of the CCTV cameras none of the CatXX is exposed except for a couple of them.  I do utilize catxx for some outdoor 1-wire devices.  I also use RG thin coaxial cabling for the 1-wire stuff outside.  I do also have CCTV cams with direct connected RG-6 cables.  The methodology of connection is inside of the camera and it is an IP67 setup.  No connector; just the end of the wire is stripped back some with the center lead and sleeve in a metal clasp which is screwed on.  (Optex outdoor combos).  It is much more difficult dealing with the quad shielded RG6 cabling rather than the catXX cabling for the CCTV cameras.  Recently upgraded many cams to POE IP HD.  I used some 10 year cables.  I did have an issue and had to re-terminate most of them using the proper testing tools.  Thinking originally just used a simple LED network cabling tester and didn't use a compression crimper on the terminations.

Over the years I have not noticed discoloration or deterioration of the jackets.  (about 10 years).  I do have a "test" IP HD CCTV camera on the deck.  That said there was one low hanging cat5e there and some animal (rabbit?) ate the poe cable and shorted it.  There were scorch marks next to the bite marks.  I did switch the interior catxx to plenum grade; mostly because a box/spool (1000 feet) of it was sitting around.

While not pertinent to the Cat X  discussion and commenting on Pete's discussion of what is difficult to work with, RG6 and RG6QS is overkill and generally not needed in 99% of the installs out there. RG 59 is good for 1000 meters before you're looking at adding an amp.

Thank-you Del! 

Yup here originally ran the RG6 (a deal for spool of 1000 feet) / siamese (well really a DIY siamese) and catXX cable(s) to the CCTV locations.  I went from using the RG6 to using catxx balums.  I did notice corrosion over the years on the RJ-45 ends and baluns fully exposed to the weather; but it still worked (well from what I could tell).  I initially used one of those fiberglass rods to feed the wires out of my attic to the eave as I could not get to that section of the attic very easily.

From there and upgrading the cameras; recertified the cables (well used a better network cable tester) for POE and connected the IP HD cams.  Literally every cat5 termination had to be redone.  The newer ones are terminated inside outdoor sealed PVC boxes.

there and upgrading the cameras; certified the cables for POE and connected the IP HD cams.  Literally every cat5 termination had to be done.

Yup; here have "settled" on using Grandstream OS IP HD cameras.  Doing a mixture of different cams and DIY's using Grandstream OS boards and custom lens boards.

That said the Aircam that I am using under the eave has a 28 mm lens on it for a bit of a wider view which I like. 

Most of the cameras utilized today are using 35 or 28mm lenses.

Recently updated the garage camera and looking to test a wide 180 degree HD IP camera lens board there.  This one is currently a 1080 and using LED illumination.

pete_c said:
Yup; here have "settled" on using Grandstream OS IP HD cameras.  Doing a mixture of different cams and DIY's using Grandstream OS boards and custom lens boards.

That said the Aircam that I am using under the eave has a 28 mm lens on it for a bit of a wider view which I like. 

Most of the cameras utilized today are using 35 or 28mm lenses.

Recently updated the garage camera and looking to test a wide 180 degree HD IP camera lens board there.  This one is currently a 1080 and using LED illumination.
pete_c,

I've been wanting to play around with an outdoor camera to see if we would ever make use of it, and it looks like the Grandview cameras are cheap enough for me to do that. They also have a GXV3674 that has a VF lens. I have no idea what FOV I need, so that made the 3674 look a little more attractive to me than the 3672. Was the 3674 available when you purchased, and if so, why did you go with the 3672 instead?

The 3674 specs say the IR cut filter is "manual". Do you know if that means "manual" as in to turn it on/off, a person must physically do something at the camera itself? Is that different than the 3672's cut filter? If yes, how is it different?

Can the 3674/3672 be ceiling mounted, i.e., under the eaves, but attached to the eaves instead of the wall?

My initial test will be to use it as a driveway monitor. The driveway is about 100' long. My guess is the 1.3MP camera will suffice. Do you agree?

Thanks,
Ira

Was the 3674 available when you purchased, and if so, why did you go with the 3672 instead?

The 3672 was the only one available at the time.  Very impressive specs on the 3674.

It can be eave mounted. That said I do not have my Aircam mounted on the eave cuz its not too good for support of stuff unless I go to a brace section or mount a box into the eave.  I have wood trim adjacent to the back section of the eave which offers better camera support.

The 3674 specs say the IR cut filter is "manual". Do you know if that means "manual" as in to turn it on/off, a person must physically do something at the camera itself? Is that different than the 3672's cut filter? If yes, how is it different?

Its manual or auto.  The OS's on my 5 Grandstream OS (plus one Grandstream MFG camera) are all the same.

GS-OS-1.jpg

I like the higher resolution / MP cams the most because I can run two streams better / faster.

I did sort of settle for a bit on the 960P which is 1.3MP; now not sure if that is where I want to end up.

That said I am fine right now with the 1.3MP Grandstream OS cams.

Outside I like 3.6mm or 2.8mm the best.  The under the eave Aircam is currently using a 2.8mm lens which is not stock (4.0mm) and I really like the view better than the stock Aircam lens.

I have one cam about 50 feet from the house and I don't like the 3.6mm view; not really wide enough for me.   I am on about 3/4 + of an acre here and I like to have each outside cam see an end to end property view.

I am putting a grandstream HD IP  OS camera with a 180 view in the garage to replace the one there with a 3.6mm lens.

Attachments

• aircam.jpeg
    aircam.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 12
Back